Rumor: Zuccarello Close to Signing 2 or 3 Year Contract

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think its less about cap space and more about if Zuccarello fits into the longterm plans. Seems to be like management is weighing other options.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Because Brooks mentioned that they're tight on capspace (he blames the Pouliot contract) and of all the RFA's Zuccarello is certainly last in line.

Yeah, not seeing it.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek Stepan ($3.750m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.550m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Dan Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
Anton Stralman ($1.700m) / John Moore ($0.965m)
Justin Falk ($1.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
OTHER
Buried: Darroll Powe ($0.142m)
Buried: Arron Asham ($0.075m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,606,667; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $455,833

And I don't think Hagelin or Stepan get that much. Also assuming dead cap space with Asham and Powe sent down and not going to another team and Pyatt still sitting on the roster.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
But he may not have enough money left to re-sign Mats Zuccarello, the Norwegian winger useful for his skill at shootouts and his stickhandling on the power play. And the same goes for Justin Falk, a 6-foot-5 depth defenseman acquired from Minnesota last week. Falk’s salary last season was $825,000. Zuccarello’s was $700,000, but he is seeking something closer to the $1.75 million-a-year deal he had with the Rangers in 2010-11 and 2011-12.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/s...ign-mcdonagh.html?smid=tw-nytsports&seid=auto

That $1.75M was a 2 way SPC which included $850,000 in performance bonuses. $900,000 was the salary. Zuccarello isn't getting $1.75M. Not from the Rangers.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If his name was Dimitri Macilrov would we even be having this conversation? :sarcasm:

hehehe... no no no. stop pretending that only russians can skate fast....

im sorry but a guy like del zotto flatout skates in mudd but ryan mcdonough has great feet, really good wheels. neither are russian.

i love stralmans wheels and for a big man, staal gets around pretty good. again, not russians.

good try though :laugh:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

im sorry but a guy like del zotto flatout skates in mudd but ryan mcdonough has great feet, really good wheels. neither are russian.

i love stralmans wheels and for a big man, staal gets around pretty good. again, not russians.

You gotta admit though, the guys you pimp are almost always Russian.

Tell me you aren't still pissed about Tarasenko and then maybe I won't take your opinions on McIlrath with a grain of salt.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
They will fit Zucc and Falk in. We need Zucc. Good in Shoot out, Good on PP. Gives us scoring on bottom 6. If we cant score in the bottom 6, We will have a hard time winning games.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Tell me you aren't still pissed about Tarasenko and then maybe I won't take your opinions on McIlrath with a grain of salt.

Enver Lisin wasn't russi...oh wait. ;)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

dont want to hijack this thread.

im fond of russian players but i also love swedes. maybe thats cause im half swede and half russian.... :nod:

anyway, mcilrath is a ny ranger prospect now and tarasenko is playing and scoring for the blues. makes no sense to pretend otherwise.

mcilrath at #10 was a huge reach and imo, a mistake. he is what he is and what he is, to me anyway, is a fighter/physical dman who can maybe play 3rd pair minutes sometime next season and as long as he doesnt have to match up against top 6 forwards, he can maybe have a decent career. hes just not a top 4 dman as long as his skating is average.

saying hes a "great" skater is just silly. anyone who has eyes knows this is not true.

i would like to officially request he change his name to something ending in OV. just sayin... :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Because Brooks mentioned that they're tight on capspace (he blames the Pouliot contract) and of all the RFA's Zuccarello is certainly last in line.

I think he's still ahead of Falk and Niemi, but he is def. 4th in line. Steps and Hags will get new contracts first but that doesn't have any influence on the Zucc offer. He will be re-signed.

Josh3217

May 30, 2013
They will fit Zucc and Falk in. We need Zucc. Good in Shoot out, Good on PP. Gives us scoring on bottom 6. If we cant score in the bottom 6, We will have a hard time winning games.

Hard time playing physical too, with Zucc in the bottom six..

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think he's still ahead of Falk and Niemi, but he is def. 4th in line. Steps and Hags will get new contracts first but that doesn't have any influence on the Zucc offer. He will be re-signed.

Niemi's gone. Supposedly signed in Europe and we didn't qualify him anyway, so we no longer have his rights.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Just a friendly dig. :D My 18-20 range for Zadorov wasn't too far off either. :p:

McIlrath isn't going to be confused with Moore or McDonagh when it comes to skating ability, but for a guy who is growing into a 6'5 frame, his skating is well above average. In fact, I'd say his north/south skating is very similar to Staal's. However, his lateral movement still needs improvement. That, however, will come as he continues to fill out his frame.

Kershaw

dont want to hijack this thread.

im fond of russian players but i also love swedes. maybe thats cause im half swede and half russian.... :nod:

anyway, mcilrath is a ny ranger prospect now and tarasenko is playing and scoring for the blues. makes no sense to pretend otherwise.

mcilrath at #10 was a huge reach and imo, a mistake. he is what he is and what he is, to me anyway, is a fighter/physical dman who can maybe play 3rd pair minutes sometime next season and as long as he doesnt have to match up against top 6 forwards, he can maybe have a decent career. hes just not a top 4 dman as long as his skating is average.

saying hes a "great" skater is just silly. anyone who has eyes knows this is not true.

i would like to officially request he change his name to something ending in OV. just sayin... :laugh:

do you think Zadarov will be a better player than McIlrath?

kingnashty61*

Dump asham and powe!!! sign stepan for 3.9m per , Hagelin gets 1.7m and give zuke 1.4

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Last week Brooks wrote the Rangers have a number in mind for Zuccarello

The Blueshirts, in that case, probably wouldn’t be able to sign Zuccarello, whom they have slotted at somewhere around $1.25 million, and they would then have to play hardball with Stepan, who is not eligible for arbitration.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rang...gX0xJiAbfK?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

He was writing about a scenario where McDonagh got an offer sheet.

That $1.25M was budgeted with McD getting $4.5M-$5M which Brooks wrote about in the article.

kingnashty61*

Why would Zucc make close to hags

maybe because our cap situation? hagelin is going to be taking a bridge deal, and zucc wants 1.75m again but hes obvi not getting that so I believe hed take a little discount. if hagelin prevails and becomes the fast slick scorer under AV's system then next season he'll get paid

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
True, but isn't Falk as well? Not sure if he will actually play for the Rangers. Looks to me he will be with the Pack for the better part of the season. Was just ranking the RFAs

Falk is lucky the Rangers traded for him and qualified him. The Wild were not qualifying him. They traded him for a 6th round pick. He should sign a 1 year and 1 way SPC and he happy.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
maybe because our cap situation? hagelin is going to be taking a bridge deal, and zucc wants 1.75m again but hes obvi not getting that so I believe hed take a little discount. if hagelin prevails and becomes the fast slick scorer under AV's system then next season he'll get paid

Hagelin is arbitration eligible though. That will get him a few extra dollars. I think 2.25 per year is close to what he will get on a 2 year deal.

kingnashty61*

Falk is lucky the Rangers traded for him and qualified him. The Wild were not qualifying him. They traded him for a 6th round pick. He should sign a 1 year and 1 way SPC and he happy.

Falk played most of the season last year for wild and Id def like him too play as a extra d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad