Rumor: Zuccarello Close to Signing 2 or 3 Year Contract

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Half of the fanbase. The other half underestimates his skills

Most of this fanbase sees him as a useful 2nd/3rd liner with pp ability, good vision, shootout skills and great effort (paired with average skating, not enough size and not enough defensive abilities) that should be getting somewhere around 1,2-1,6M.

There are some who see him as a first liner worth 2M+ and some who see him as an nhl'er barely worth the QO, both of those groups are in the minority.

I think the majority of the fan base are pretty spot on when it comes to his strengths, weaknesses and value.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
I don't think anyone really knows exactly what Zuccarello is yet. All I know he's shown improvement in his two stints here. He's given an offensively inept team some kind of offensive spark. He's improved his skating and despite his lack of size he's not afraid of getting dirty and pissing off opponents. I don't think anyone is expecting him to suddenly turn into Marty St. Louis, but there's no doubt he could be a solid contributor if he keeps improving. His shoot out skills alone are probably worth an extra couple points next season.

25 year old Zucc >>> 41 year old Jagr

And for the record, I love Jagr, but he doesn't fit on this team anymore at his age.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They have stated they want to re-sign him. Zucc wants to re-sign. Not sure why people are getting all hot and bothered about him not signing yet. McDonagh just signed.

Viper, I can only speak for myself but I "fear" that Zucc is easy to count out in the off-season, much more so than when the game actually is played and he game after game is one of — at least — top 5-6 players on the team.

But when you sit there around the table and brain storm it's easy to put too much emphasize on intangibles than actual ability to play the game.

In the end, I am not willing to bet the house on Zucc either way really; I think he could both exceed and not meet people's expectations. But I think it's a shame if doesn't get a chance — again.

KenGuru

Sep 14, 2010
Oslo, Norway
This fan base overvalues Mats Zuccarello WAY too much.

Well, some others overvalues Stepan and Hagelin too. Hardly worth 2.5 mill (Stepan) amd 1.8 mill (Hagelin) a year

Where was Stepan in the playoff this season ? And Carl Hagelin made 9 Points in 29 playoff-games for NYR. Not impressive by a top 6 forward

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
In the end, I am not willing to bet the house on Zucc either way really; I think he could both exceed and not meet people's expectations. But I think it's a shame if doesn't get a chance — again.

Agreed. He's earned at least an opportunity. If he doesn't meet expectations, we can easily trade him and probably get at least a 2nd rounder at the deadline. Plus it's nice to know that we have some young forwards that are knocking on the door for a roster spot (Kristo, Miller, etc).

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Well, some others overvalues Stepan and Hagelin too. Hardly worth 2.5 mill (Stepan) amd 1.8 mill (Hagelin) a year

Where was Stepan in the playoff this season ? And Carl Hagelin made 9 Points in 29 playoff-games for NYR. Not impressive by a top 6 forward
Maybe I'm reading the jist of your post completely wrong but...

Step>Hags>Zucc

In order of importance to this team

EDIT: And I want Zucc back

Last edited:

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
Haha how can anyone let alone someone with the word guru in their user name truly believe Derek Stepan is not worth 2.5 mil. I have never seen fans from a certain country attach themselves to
A hometown player like MZA. Stepan is a superior player to MZA. If it came down to us having to wait until September for Stepan to sign and would cost us MZA, I would sit there until September with a smile on my face. With all that said I would like all 3 back but wouldn't go to crazy on the MZA contract. I am just shocked that someone doesn't think Stepan is worth 2.5.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Bashing 2 players that are better than Zuccarello to make a point? Seems like a solid argument.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Haha how can anyone let alone someone with the word guru in their user name truly believe Derek Stepan is not worth 2.5 mil. I have never seen fans from a certain country attach themselves to
A hometown player like MZA
. Stepan is a superior player to MZA. If it came down to us having to wait until September for Stepan to sign and would cost us MZA, I would sit there until September with a smile on my face. With all that said I would like all 3 back but wouldn't go to crazy on the MZA contract. I am just shocked that someone doesn't think Stepan is worth 2.5.

Come on bro. There's one, maybe two of them. Most of us manage to stay pretty balanced when it comes to the guy. We'd like him back, but not at any cost.

As for the guy's statement, it's ludicrous.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm from the country of Brooklyn and I have always wanted Zooks on this team. Some or the overseas fans are the toughest on him.

Frolic and DeTorts

Feb 23, 2013
Don't forget that only 925k of a 1-way deal can be buried. If he's on a 2 way deal, he costs nothing against the cap if he's sent down.

But I don't think it's a matter of 1 or 2 way. I think it's simply a case of him being the lowest priority. Hopefully Sather will get Step and Hags signed quickly so as not to drag it out. Zucc deserves that much, at least.

I hope he's on the team this year, but if not, I hope we trade him somewhere where he can get good ice time.

Ah, I didn't know that. That's interesting.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Stepan went from 45 points first year to 51 the next and had 44 (in 48 games this year) while playing shutdown defense, he's gotten better every year. The other 2 should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Stepan

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
dont want to hijack this thread.

im fond of russian players but i also love swedes. maybe thats cause im half swede and half russian.... :nod:

anyway, mcilrath is a ny ranger prospect now and tarasenko is playing and scoring for the blues. makes no sense to pretend otherwise.

mcilrath at #10 was a huge reach and imo, a mistake. he is what he is and what he is, to me anyway, is a fighter/physical dman who can maybe play 3rd pair minutes sometime next season and as long as he doesnt have to match up against top 6 forwards, he can maybe have a decent career. hes just not a top 4 dman as long as his skating is average.

saying hes a "great" skater is just silly. anyone who has eyes knows this is not true.

i would like to officially request he change his name to something ending in OV. just sayin... :laugh:

yes we shouldve went with Tarsenko but to say hes prob a 3rd liner is rediculous as half of you fans thinking callahan is a 3rd liner and stepan shouldve been traded for scraps the first 10 games of this past season...

McIrath was highly touted by many teams (dallas behind us, calgary and others).. he wasn't a reach, maybe not the best available but still a top prospect in the draft.. Dman also develop slower then fwds.. only time will tell still way to early to write him off and degrade him as a 3rd pairing dman..

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Taresenko had a great first 10 games or so then got hit. After that his production fell dramatically. I'm very hopeful that Dylan will be a fan favorite nasty dman for us.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Meehan is a pretty big agent. I do not think Slats would mislead him. I think he represents Hank as well.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
yes we shouldve went with Tarsenko but to say hes prob a 3rd liner is rediculous as half of you fans thinking callahan is a 3rd liner and stepan shouldve been traded for scraps the first 10 games of this past season...

McIrath was highly touted by many teams (dallas behind us, calgary and others).. he wasn't a reach, maybe not the best available but still a top prospect in the draft.. Dman also develop slower then fwds.. only time will tell still way to early to write him off and degrade him as a 3rd pairing dman..

Word is he gets around better than Bueke did and he did just fine as a complement to the other guy he played with.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Taresenko had a great first 10 games or so then got hit. After that his production fell dramatically. I'm very hopeful that Dylan will be a fan favorite nasty dman for us.

he was concussed last year. it happens. saying that is the reason his production tailed off DUH !! and then i guess implying that in some way thats a problem with him as a player ??? is just plain Pejorative Slured. im sorry.

anyone who would choose mcilrath over tarasenko at this point, seeing what vlad did in the khl- broke scoring records and how he played and scored as a rookie in the nhl- lead the league as a pure rook, and given this organizations general lack of top end offensive skill is puzzling, to say the least.

tarasenko will score 30 goals per year as an nhl top 6 forward. book it.

the value of what dylan mcilrath can bring to this team is soooo over valued here its not even funny.

dude isnt even a top 50 prospect on this site.... hes gonna be a decent physical dman in the mold of jeff beuk or even a guy like hal gill. neither of which are difference makers. im sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->