Rumor: Zuccarello Close to Signing 2 or 3 Year Contract

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
well I think Zucc is signed if they dont get another top 6 F. If they do get one I think he's in a trade for one.

NYR could put a good package of Boyle, Zucc together and get a descent top 6 option I would think.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
well I think Zucc is signed if they dont get another top 6 F. If they do get one I think he's in a trade for one.

NYR could put a good package of Boyle, Zucc together and get a descent top 6 option I would think.

Boyle and Zuccarello are a good package?

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.

Considering Boyle is already a great 4th liner and Zucc can chip in 40 points while bringing a ton of offensive creativity to the PP, yes that would be a very good (to the point of overpayment) for a decent bottom 6 player.

Some people here undervalue both Boyle and Zucc.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

well not every Ranger fan craps on their players

Boyle is a good defensive C that can PK
Zuccarello is a crafty playmaker with alot of offensive upside

so yea its not a bad package. Add DZ to that mix and they can likely get a top 6 Winger and RD back

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
well not every Ranger fan craps on their players

Boyle is a good defensive C that can PK
Zuccarello is a crafty playmaker with alot of offensive upside

so yea its not a bad package. Add DZ to that mix and they can likely get a top 6 Winger and RD back

Im not the one advocating trading them.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Considering Boyle is already a great 4th liner and Zucc can chip in 40 points while bringing a ton of offensive creativity to the PP, yes that would be a very good (to the point of overpayment) for a decent bottom 6 player.

Some people here undervalue both Boyle and Zucc.

1) Fourth liners are relatively easy to find. And can be had for less than 1.8M.

2) Zuccarello is still yet to play a full seasons worth of games in the NHL and is yet to register 40 points. So isn't describing him the way you have a tad premature?

3) Zuccarello has a total of 11 power points in his career.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
In theory, sure, but we've seen this team struggle to find effective 4th line players year after year.

I'm not talking about this team. I've been very vocal that the annual shuffling of the bottom six is a huge knock against the Rangers draft history.

How many teams do you see ready to add a fourth liner with a 1.7 cap hit?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
1) Fourth liners are relatively easy to find. And can be had for less than 1.8M.

2) Zuccarello is still yet to play a full seasons worth of games in the NHL and is yet to register 40 points. So isn't describing him the way you have a tad premature?

3) Zuccarello has a total of 11 power points in his career.

He was being conservative at 41. Odds are in 82 games he will be closer to 50 points.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Don't think zuke's gonna price himself out of a roster spot..

He cares more about the lengst & one way deal than about the money..

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You have to be careful about linear interpolation with Zuccarello. How will he stand up to an 82-game beating?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Based on what?

All the evidence we have so far.

As a rook he was greater than a .5ppg scorer (23 points in 42 games under Torts who did not play him much. That pace would put him around 44 points if he played in 82 games.

Last season he scored 15 points in 27 games including the harder to score in playoff games under Torts conservative offensive system. That pace extrapolated over 82 games is around 46 points.

I see no reason he should produce at a lower level under AV.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
All the evidence we have so far.

As a rook he was greater than a .5ppg scorer (23 points in 42 games under Torts who did not play him much. That pace would put him around 44 points if he played in 82 games.

Last season he scored 15 points in 27 games including the harder to score in playoff games under Torts conservative offensive system. That pace extrapolated over 82 games is around 46 points.

I see no reason he should produce at a lower level under AV.

I refer you to Crease's post.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Still questions about his longevity but if they can make it work with him on the roster they should. If they are moving towards a puck possesion game I think he adds to the top 6. Unless they plan on trading for someone bigger, or riding a prospect.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I refer you to Crease's post.

I refer you too all the same debates before he was signed last season where you and few others said he would not score .5ppg and yet when he was signed he produced over .5ppg as most of us predicted.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
If he wants a one-way deal then money is a driving factor.

For a guy that's proven he belongs in the NHL, a two-way deal would be counter productive to his own development, seeing as he has no business being sent down to the AHL at any given time. What matters is security that he'll be able to play in the NHL.

And as for the whole "will he stand up to the 82 game punishment".. well, do the rangers want to let him actually have a full season, or should one just assume that there is no way he will hold up, because other people have longer arms ? I can't follow that line of reasoning, but that is just me.

There are plenty of people in the league who are in Zucc's weight range, I honestly don't see any good reason why he wont be able to hold up

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
For a guy that's proven he belongs in the NHL, a two-way deal would be counter productive to his own development, seeing as he has no business being sent down to the AHL at any given time. What matters is security that he'll be able to play in the NHL.

And as for the whole "will he stand up to the 82 game punishment".. well, do the rangers want to let him actually have a full season, or should one just assume that there is no way he will hold up, because other people have longer arms ? I can't follow that line of reasoning, but that is just me.

There are plenty of people in the league who are in Zucc's weight range, I honestly don't see any good reason why he wont be able to hold up

A two-way deal doesn't have anything to do with preventing him from being sent to the AHL. It only means he'll be paid the same way regardless of if he's with the Rangers or with the Wolfpack.

I'm not of the mentality that he can't succeed in the NHL, so I won't debate you on that.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I refer you too all the same debates before he was signed last season where you and few others said he would not score .5ppg and yet when he was signed he produced over .5ppg as most of us predicted.

You're taking small sample sizes and extrapolating it out across a full season (more games than he's played in his career here). If you want to do that, fine. But then you have to take into consideration wear and tear of a full season on an undersized player. He's already missed almost as many games as he's played because of injuries.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
A two-way deal doesn't have anything to do with preventing him from being sent to the AHL. It only means he'll be paid the same way regardless of if he's with the Rangers or with the Wolfpack.

I'm not of the mentality that he can't succeed in the NHL, so I won't debate you on that.

It makes it more likely to be sent down generally though. With the prices thrown around (1.5 for three years for a young offensive guy?), it seems more like he just wants to be assured a spot and be called an NHL player rather than be jerked around more between the AHL and NHL. It certainly doesn't sound like he's asking for the moon here. He's asking for a little bit of security, which I would be glad to give him at that price.

It sounds like he's asking for the kind of money Pyatt, Boyle and Dorsett are making. If he plays like he did last season, he's more important to this team than any of them.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad