Confirmed with Link: Zubrus Unconditionally Released

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, actually, Zubie was known as Space Junk..err...2, I think.

right, BleedRed?

Space Junk 3 actually!

Remember Ponikarovsky was the original Space Junk back in 2013.

The second time we traded for him, my god he sucked that season. I also predicted he would be in the KHL in about a year. Didn't even take him a year, just a matter of months.

As soon as that season ended.

kiwidevil

Was a great Devil. Full respect to a true pro.

It's sad to see the disrespect he get's in his farewell thread.

All the best, Zubie.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

All the best, Zubie.

Ya I think we can cool it on the bashing. Everyone knows age caught up with him and he doesn't have it anymore, and this was the right move.

This shouldn't cloud the fact that when he was going he was a great player for us. I would take two or three Prime Zubs if we could find them.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ya I think we can cool it on the bashing. Everyone knows age caught up with him and he doesn't have it anymore, and this was the right move.

This shouldn't cloud the fact that when he was going he was a great player for us. I would take two or three Prime Zubs if we could find them.

I'm still holding out hope that Matteau can be that kind of player eventually. Although I don't think his skill level is as high as Zubrus' was. Zacha is actually probably closer to being a Zubrus if he doesn't hit his ceiling (which obviously we all hope he does).

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Yeah, don't get the incessant bashing. These players are human beings, not avatars in a video game.

Zubrus was a worthwhile Devil for a long time and his game declined as he got older. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, don't get the incessant bashing. These players are human beings, not avatars in a video game.

Zubrus was a worthwhile Devil for a long time and his game declined as he got older. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

I'm not an advocate of bashing players, but these guys do get millions of $$$'s to play hockey. 17K people stand and cheer them when they score goals, they get tons of love when they play well. And the bashing is the flip side of it, it's part of the deal.

And this is not a farewell or appreciation thread. It's a thread which announced Zubrus was waived, honest opinions on that move have followed.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
So his full cap hit stays on the books for this season (2015-2016) and also for next year (2016-2017)??

Is that correct?

No, just a full hit this year - nothing on next year's books. He gets paid 2/3rd of his salary this year (thus saving about $1M in real money but no savings to cap and it give us one additional contract and of course roster space).

No, just a full hit this year - nothing on next year's books. He gets paid 2/3rd of his salary this year (thus saving about $1M in real money but no savings to cap and it give us one additional contract and of course roster space).

Then this is great, great news. I was hoping Zubrus would have 10 goals by the trade deadline and they could get a 3rd round pick for him but that was highly unlikely.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Became one of my favorite guys to watch over his tenure here. Best of luck to him where ever he winds up next

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

buyouts extend past the contract term and the cap hit changes too.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/tools/buyout-calculator/dainius-zubrus-1876/2015-07-30/

N2DT4jl.jpg

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
We're getting younger, (not just lou's dinosaur age to cut down the average), we're getting faster, we're getting more agile. I like it, at least we have an interesting team to follow next season, i hope.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
According to various sources a couple days ago including TG, because it was a 35+ buyout the team still gets all the cap hit this year - but none after. It's with non-35+ deals it still gets partially spread over two years.

Is this a new post-compliance buyout rule? I've never heard of not spreading out the term to more years than the contract called for. That website obviously hasn't either.

We need capgeek back up and running. I trusted that site.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Is this a new post-compliance buyout rule? I've never heard of not spreading out the term to more years than the contract called for. That website obviously hasn't either.

I believe it happened with Atlanta buying out Donald Brashear in 2010.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
as of last year this was the formula. When did it change?

Teams are entitled to buy out player contracts for a portion of the remaining value of the contract paid over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. Following are the buyout amounts:

- Younger than age 26 at the time of buyout, 1/3 the remaining value
- Age 26 or older at the time of the buyout, 2/3 the remaining value

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The amount of the cap hit (by year) is determined as follows:

1. Take the actual salary due for each remaining year
2. Take the Averaged Player Salary (cap hit) for the current contract
3. Calculate the buyout amount (as described above)
4. Spread the buy-out amount evenly over twice the remaining years of the contract
5. Take the number in No. 1 and subtract the number in No. 4. This is the “buyout savings.”
6. Take the cap hit from No. 2 and subtract the buyout savings from No. 5.

This calculation is done for each year, meaning the buyout cap hit is not necessarily the same for all years. It can even be negative, meaning a team can receive a credit.

This formula also applies to 35-plus contracts.

In order for a team to execute a buyout, the player must first clear unconditional waivers. A waiver claim by another team pre-empts the buyout process. Players with no-move clauses can reject the option of waivers and proceed immediately to a buyout.

Capgeek page is still live: http://capgeek.org/nhl-salary-cap-faq-how-do-buyouts-work/

RogueStatus

Devils-Redhawks
Oct 15, 2008

Per TG-
Because Zubrus' contract was an age 35-and-over deal, however, the full $3.1 million will count against the Devils' cap in 2015-16 and then come off their books (though they will paying him the remainder of his buyout in 2016-17).

They are spreading out actually paying him over two years but because he was on the 35+ deal, his cap hit can't be spread out.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
what a completely ridiculous attitude to have.

I've seen your posts everywhere and you almost always go to the extreme on overreaction and ridicule of whoever posts something that u don't agree with. If your looking for a rise here, you win, partially. It just gets old after a while.

I've been a fan of this team for a long, long time. There's nothing about Zubrus' game, personality or performance that will have me miss him. At all.

That being said, moving on. It's about time we're rebuilding because we've sucked for long enough.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I've seen your posts everywhere and you almost always go to the extreme on overreaction and ridicule of whoever posts something that u don't agree with. If your looking for a rise here, you win, partially. It just gets old after a while.

I've been a fan of this team for a long, long time. There's nothing about Zubrus' game, personality or performance that will have me miss him. At all.

That being said, moving on. It's about time we're rebuilding because we've sucked for long enough.

when you make a ridiculous claim on a public message board, you should expect to be called out for it.

Zubrus was a very, very good middle six player and PKer for a long time with the Devils. so because he never won a Cup, he isn't memorable? and you don't see how thats an outlandish statement to make? :laugh:

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr

All the best, Zubie.

I couldn't say better.

I didn't read the thread but people bashing him should be ashamed of themselves. Zubie did a great job, just was catched by age in the end. I still think he would have been usefull in a support role and it's not like with have a lot of depth, so I'm very sad of this news, but whatever, full respect to him and best of luck for the end of his career. A true warrior and the definition of a true Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00