Confirmed with Link: Zubrus Unconditionally Released

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
um, :laugh:

I'd say thats a bittttttt different, wouldn't you?

I don't think it was meant to be an apples to apples comparison, so much as an attempt by the poster to put himself (or herself) in Zubrus' position by imagining what a comparable pay cut to that poster would be and how that would impact that poster's lifestyle.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think it was meant to be an apples to apples comparison, so much as an attempt by the poster to put himself (or herself) in Zubrus' position by imagining what a comparable pay cut to that poster would be and how that would impact that poster's lifestyle.

Agreed, but also remember that he is getting paid $1 million next year by the Devils (versus $0), so it is a cut of $1 million over two years. If he finds a team in Europe, he makes most (if not all) of that up.

Viewed another way, if he has made $35-$40 million over his career (thus far), then this is reducing his total NHL compensation by about 2-3% (assuming he doesn't play somewhere else this year. Whatever he might do after hockey is irrelevant, as it would be the same under any scenario ... so the impact on his lifetime earnings

The only way this would have any meaningful impact on his financial life is if he has been living "paycheck-to-paycheck" (i.e., spending whatever he makes ever year). Of course, this is not unheard of even among high-paid athletes/celebrities (or even investment bankers, etc.) ... but, if that were the case, he would be heading for a significant lifestyle adjustment, anyway, and this might accelerate it by a year.

GhostofKenKlee

Dainus Zubrus after clearing waivers to be bought out by New Jersey Devils: "I don't want to get too deeply into it. It seems like they want to give opportunities to young players, which is understandable. We've missed the playoffs the last couple of years now," said Zubrus. "I don't know if I want to use the word rebuild, but I think they're bringing in new everything." via nj.com

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Dainus Zubrus after clearing waivers to be bought out by New Jersey Devils: "I don't want to get too deeply into it. It seems like they want to give opportunities to young players, which is understandable. We've missed the playoffs the last couple of years now," said Zubrus. "I don't know if I want to use the word rebuild, but I think they're bringing in new everything." via nj.com

Your point? We already know they are getting younger and giving those guys chances for the future. Not really earth shattering news.

GhostofKenKlee

Your point? We already know they are getting younger and giving those guys chances for the future. Not really earth shattering news.

Your point?

Lolz, Not my point it's Zubrus'...

I guess DZ says something on the record and it's not worthy of posting in your eyes.

I'm glad "WE" already know everything and aren't afraid to let everyone know.

But, clearly "WE" don't know everything, "We" just think we know everything. Reread the first line of his quote, there is quite more...

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Nothing really wrong with providing a Zubrus quote on the subject of this thread. Different people are going to have different interpretations of the quote, but I don't see anything wrong with providing the quote. Whether or not posters find it interesting, it's relevant to the thread.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Your point?

Lolz, Not my point it's Zubrus'...

I guess DZ says something on the record and it's not worthy of posting in your eyes.

I'm glad "WE" already know everything and aren't afraid to let everyone know.

But, clearly "WE" don't know everything, "We" just think we know everything. Reread the first line of his quote, there is quite more...

the poster, Ghost of KK, only posted what Zubrus said. What's wrong with that? What am I missing?

Nothing really wrong with providing a Zubrus quote on the subject of this thread. Different people are going to have different interpretations of the quote, but I don't see anything wrong with providing the quote. Whether or not posters find it interesting, it's relevant to the thread.

Why so defensive?

Fair point for all of you. Perhaps i misunderstood, because of my perceived idea of what the OP has against some of the management and new owners i felt like it was a shot at that and them.

Clearly an error on my part.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Fair point for all of you. Perhaps i misunderstood, because of my perceived idea of what the OP has against some of the management and new owners i felt like it was a shot at that and them.

Clearly an error on my part.

OK we all make mistakes sometime.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
I think youre thinking of someone else quite frankly. if anything, I undervalue our players. if you think I look at this team with rose colored glasses, you certainly don't read my posts.

Well, we'll agree to disagree. No hard feelings here.

Bottom line, I didn't dislike Zubrus as a person, just as a player. He really was a laughing stock last season. Then again, so was most of this offense. That being said, I'm glad we're moving in a different direction.

Here's hoping Elias, Ruutu, Gionta, Clowe get the same treatment next offseason. I do have a soft-spot for Patty, but his time is up. This HAS to be his final year in the NHL for his reputations sake.

ZBC is most certainly not a rose tinted glasses guy...that is more my speed.

What you fail to recognize by saying you do not like the player are the many productive years, where he was part of the core, a bruising two-way player, versatile and unafraid of the dirty work. He played the Devils brand of hockey and was an essential part of the PK.

His productivity fell off a cliff, and this move makes every kind of business sense, and even Zubrus himself understands this, but to simply ignore reality because you don't like a guy doesn't make those better observant suddenly overly optimistic.

I'll miss the Zubrusaurus, but every athlete reaches that time where age gets the better of them. What they deserve to take into the sunset is all their due respect.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Not to kick a guy when he's down, but what's with all this "Zubrus was most valuable in the playoffs" business coming from Chere and TG? His per-game scoring always seemed to drop in the playoffs, and he's been a part of some of the worst postseason disappointments in Devils history. Zubrus was an integral part of a group that, for a long time, never seemed to show up when it really mattered.

Seems like he's getting credit just for being the "big, responsible player" that was nice to reporters and good in the room. Obviously there's nothing wrong with those traits, but I think that whole mentality partially explains why he always seemed to sign for a little too much or for a little too long.

Honestly, I feel like that's unfair to him. If he was making ~1m next season or for the last few, he'd probably have been traded to a contender or kept around as a mentor.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not to kick a guy when he's down, but what's with all this "Zubrus was most valuable in the playoffs" business coming from Chere and TG? His per-game scoring always seemed to drop in the playoffs, and he's been a part of some of the worst postseason disappointments in Devils history. Zubrus was an integral part of a group that, for a long time, never seemed to show up when it really mattered.

Seems like he's getting credit just for being the "big, responsible player" that was nice to reporters and good in the room. Obviously there's nothing wrong with those traits, but I think that whole mentality partially explains why he always seemed to sign for a little too much or for a little too long.

Honestly, I feel like that's unfair to him. If he was making ~1m next season or for the last few, he'd probably have been traded to a contender or kept around as a mentor.
I remember Lou saying he loved how he played in the playoffs, right when he re signed him to this most recent contract. And that was one of the reasons that Lou had signed him initially as a free agent in 2007.

His production was nothing special in the playoffs for us, though I do remember him being very good in the 2010 Flyers series and even in the 09 Carolina series. I think he was one of the best players on the team in that 2010 series, even though it didn't translate to the score sheet.

A lot of people (particularly recently since his major decline) have always said that Zubrus wasn't about points. That wasn't necessarily true though, as he had close to half a point per game in his first 6 seasons with us. I remember people even saying that back when he was still good, I just think that was in reaction to people probably thinking he should be putting up 50-60+ points all those years with us.

The guy was only making $3.4 million per year, which was very good value for what he brought on that initial contract with us.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yeah... Zubrus wasnt particularly bad in the playoffs, but other than the one series gainst the Flyers, he didn't stand out.

Loved the guy, but it seems like every guy who brings grit and defense "shows his true value in the playoffs" in some media narratives

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah... Zubrus wasnt particularly bad in the playoffs, but other than the one series gainst the Flyers, he didn't stand out.

Loved the guy, but it seems like every guy who brings grit and defense "shows his true value in the playoffs" in some media narratives

Wasn't that the only year we got past the 1st round while he was with the team?

How can he even show his worth when we never had long playoff runs.

He was key to getting us there many years. And we did miss him when He got hurt during the lockout year.

kiwidevil

Zubrus was our best forward in the playoffs in terms of consistency and stepping up.

GhostofKenKlee

His career started by in 1996, what a run for him. Hope he can latch on somewhere and win a cup.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His career started by in 1996, what a run for him. Hope he can latch on somewhere and win a cup.

And unfortunately because his career started all the way back in 1996, it probably led to him becoming cooked by 35. He was a very high mileage 1978 model, that's for sure. Same thing happened to Olli Jokinen the last couple years, though I believe he was drafted and came in the year after Zubrus in 1997?

Brendan Morrow was a little more of a lower mileage guy from that year (or 1979 actually), he didn't even make it to 1000 NHL career games and he was on par with Zubrus last season.

Kovalchuk was great during the 2012 playoffs (and one of the better players along with Zubrus in the 2010 abomination of a series against the Flyers), he only played 2 playoff years with us though.

Zubrus only had 1 point in that series, though his play particularly stands out to me as something positive that I remember from that year.

Kovy was good, Zach and Patty were okay, Rolston wasn't bad either that series. Langenbrunner had already turned into a gutless puke by that point, didn't he completely stop for like a whole shift just standing on the ice at one point? Colin White probably should have retired after that series, but hey! He did have one of his two playoff goals as a Devil that series! And Marty was already fried way back before the Olympics that year, due to being played in almost all of the games up to that point.

Up until the 2011-2012 playoffs, Zubrus did only have 3 points in 17 playoff games as a Devil. I remember the 2010 series he did some good things that didn't show up on the score sheet. I don't remember much from him good or bad in the 08 or 09 series though.

To be fair though, the 08 and 10 series were arguably two of the most embarrassing and pathetic playoff series in the last 20 years for the Devils. Of course the 09 series had the most horrible ending, the 01 SCF didn't have too much better of an ending. And the 02 loss to Weekes and the Canes and the 99 loss to Jagr (98 to Ottawa was bad too) you could make fair points that they were almost as bad. The 2010 series was some of the most uninspired play I've ever seen from a Devils team in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad