Confirmed with Link: Zubrus Unconditionally Released

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Christ... it really wasn't fair for Stevens to have to share a coaching spot with someone as incompetent as Oates.

You want to see a the double-colored line above the dotted line (team line). Both of them fall off a cliff right around the time you might expect.

CLGbLURUcAEC2qD.png

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thank god!

The 3 year contract should have never happened, I doubt it would have if he hit the free agent market that year. All he would have gotten was two. Just going by what other forwards his age got that year.

Liked him back in the day, but he's been our worst forward the last season and a half. Even worse than Ryder and Havlat, any of the 4th liners and worse than the 13-14 Steve Bernier who didn't get nearly as much top line ice time as he did last year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thank god!

The 3 year contract should have never happened, I doubt it would have if he hit the free agent market that year. All he would have gotten was two. Just going by what other forwards his age got that year.

Liked him back in the day, but he's been our worst forward the last season and a half. Even worse than Ryder and Havlat, any of the 4th liners and worse than the 13-14 Steve Bernier who didn't get nearly as much top line ice time as he did last year.

He was the worst full time forward in the entire NHL last season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Any chance Zubes asked for this? it gives him a chance to latch on somewhere else. Maybe he saw that there was really no place for him on this team anymore.

Big Drive

Mar 12, 2009
NJ
Gonna miss Zubrus. Like everyone said, a good soldier and complete professional. He even showed up to Hynes' introduction as head coach. I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall back then.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
There is a fan who wears a #8 Devils jersey to games with these words on the back:

"Lithuanian Love Machine"

She must be devastated right about now.

Ive seen her around the arena. I wonder if she will still wear it. Ridiculous jersey.

Lithuanian-Love-Machine-225x300.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This does really suck but ideally he shouldn't of even been under contract for this season.

Hope when he decides to finish playing completely he comes back and has some role with the team.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Zubrus has been one of my favorite players since he became a Devil, so I'm sad to see him go this way. Shero has no loyalty to any of the "old guard", which is understandable. If he feels this is the way to go, I'm not going to argue it. Thanks for everything Zubie. You were a warrior for a long time for this team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think his NHL career is over. I wouldn't have ruled out a training camp tryout, it's just that there's a lot of younger and better UFA's that haven't been signed anywhere.

Even Bernier and Gomez might be on the outside looking in once the season starts.

I think Zubrus can probably get an overseas contract somewhere, KHL or anywhere overseas.

I'd put Zubrus on par with Brendan Morrow at this point, both are the same age too. Morrow wasn't signed anywhere yet, doubt he ever will be in North America. I think the same goes for Zubrus. Olli Jokinen is another comparable.

For the record, I wouldn't have completely rioted if Zubrus was kept but in a 4th line role ONLY. I think it's best that he's off the team though, especially when we also turned away Bernier and Gomez. When people have called this team (particularly forwards on this team) untalented, old and slow, Zubrus epitomizes that phrase for me.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm glad Ray did exactly what I've been hoping would happen.

Buying out Zubrus but doing it so that his entire cap hit stays on for next year, then we don't have to have a buyout cap hit for the season after.

I always said that it's not about clearing cap space for me, it's about clearing a player that doesn't have the ability to play in the NHL anymore from our roster.

GhostofKenKlee

Zubrus and I get our suits at the same place and share a tailor.

He's been in the league for a long time and was known "hound" to put it lightly in the Philly area/Shore for the longest time.

He's an interesting guy off ice, he's a bit of a bon vivant who enjoys photography, music and coffee and I wish him and his family the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad