Injury Report: Zetterberg Back Dec. 28 (Post 255)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist
Abdelkader - Helm - Alfredsson
Miller - Andersson - Tatar
Cleary - Glendening - Samuelsson

Still not a bad line-up if Franzen and Nyquist keep it up. It's not great obviously but we have some pretty amazing depth if we can ice three decent scoring lines without our two best forwards.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Terrible news. Z had been outstanding this year. At least we got.. nevermind. It's not even funny.

Should waive a couple guys and call up some real talent.

Why would we waive people when we are not healthy?

This news really blows.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist
Abdelkader - Helm - Alfredsson
Miller - Andersson - Tatar
Cleary - Glendening - Samuelsson

Still not a bad line-up if Franzen and Nyquist keep it up. It's not great obviously but we have some pretty amazing depth if we can ice three decent scoring lines without our two best forwards.

helm and weiss are the biggest question marks. weiss has been losing matchups to fourth liners and helm has been kind of lucky.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We have played 6 games at this season without either Z or Dats scoring any points.

3 wins (@ OTT 4-2, @NYI 5-0, @VAN 2-1)
2 OT losses (vs.WSH 3-4, vs.SJS 0-1)
2 losses (vs.NSH 0-2, vs.PHX 2-4)

Not a bad record. But of course their defensive effort will be missed.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
We have played 6 games at this season without either Z or Dats scoring any points.

3 wins (@ OTT 4-2, @NYI 5-0, @VAN 2-1)
2 OT losses (vs.WSH 3-4 vs.SJS 0-1)
2 losses (vs.NSH 0-2, vs.PHX 2-4)

Not a bad record. But of course their defensive effort will be missed.

i'm counting 7 there :).

and yes, their shutdown job will be surely missed. among other things.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Why would we waive people when we are not healthy?

This news really blows.

Because players in GR are clearly more capable of helping the team? Everything was going so well. I was enjoying watching the Wings again. This gives Babcock an excuse to give his boy 16 minutes a night again over more skilled players.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
You also have to remember players will get more ice time with them out. I'm not saying we will be better without them, just that to say that their production is just gone isn't right. More players will get more ice time and hopefully outproduce D and Z in those games where they didn't score.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You also have to remember players will get more ice time with them out. I'm not saying we will be better without them, just that to say that their production is just gone isn't right. More players will get more ice time and hopefully outproduce D and Z in those games where they didn't score.

Like last two games we have won and scored 9 goals without D or Z getting points.

This is very interesting to see. I don't remember this has happen ever before?

Was Yzerman and Fedorov ever off from roster at same time?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Call me crazy, but this could be a bit of a blessing in disguise. The last couple of games it's been the secondary scoring, not the stars, that have been providing the offense. We will fully get to see what the kids can do now, Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be well rested, Datsyuk should be back soon anyway. Weiss should step up in this situation. In a very weak East we can still easily make the playoffs, and a rested Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the playoffs could be huge. Not even close to the end of the world.
I'd be less worried if they were out with groin injuries or a broken finger or something that is always healed and easily timelined. A troublesome back injury and a concussion that seems to linger on? Bad, bad stuff. I really hope they both manage to quickly recover 100% but we gotta be prepared for a worst case scenario of being without one or both of them for a long time.
I've got good faith that the team will stay competitive, and for a guy like Weiss it's definitely an opportunity to show his worth.
Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika 21 s
Zetterberg said he knew something was wrong the last couple of games. Same disc that bothered him before. Evaluate again in couple weeks.

The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 1 min
#RedWings' Zetterberg "It's going to take some time. Hard to say when it happened, but felt worse in OTT."

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 52 s
Henrik Zetterberg (hernia) said he doesn't expect even to practice for 2 weeks. #RedWings
Yep, Z will be out for a lot longer than 2 weeks I wager. Could kinda tell he was not 100% the last few games, not that he was bad but he just looked a little slowed down. Get well Z, don't rush.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If our defense tightens it up I can still see us doing well. We've seen lately that it's a team effort not just Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Ottawa did it last year, and I'd argue our secondary scoring has the potential to be much better than theirs was.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 50 s
Ken Holland said he will talk to the coaches before deciding on a forward to recall from Grand Rapids for tomorrow.

Babs will want Glendenning. I think someone like Ferraro, Jurco, Eaves or Toots would help more. Not sure about the salary issues with the later two mentioned.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I assume they will put Z on LTIR? Should call up Sheahan and/or Ferraro while Z's out. Let those two get some more NHL experience so they are more prepared next season.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If our defense tightens it up I can still see us doing well. We've seen lately that it's a team effort not just Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Ottawa did it last year, and I'd argue our secondary scoring has the potential to be much better than theirs was.

Yup. Elite players take you over the top but with the way Wings have played as a team lately, they should continue to be solid. Good chance for Howard to up his game and be a difference maker aswell.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yeah, don't forget that our defensemen and goalies have been playing great lately. If they keep that up we don't need to score 4 to win every game...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Babs will want Glendenning. I think someone like Ferraro, Jurco, Eaves or Toots would help more. Not sure about the salary issues with the later two mentioned.

I assume they will put Z on LTIR? Should call up Sheahan and/or Ferraro while Z's out. Let those two get some more NHL experience so they are more prepared next season.

i assume they want to grind out 2-1 games now.

i agree with drw02. if they can't score for their lives, call up jurco. if C's play bad, give calle a chance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 50 s
Ken Holland said he will talk to the coaches before deciding on a forward to recall from Grand Rapids for tomorrow.

There's capspace for only Emmerton or Parkes if no one is going to LTIR...

Maybe they should LTIR Zeta immediately and call Jurco.

Move Franzen to center and keep the other lines same.

Jurco - Franzen - Nyquist
etc.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT

Not sure how much cap we gain on a per/day basis. But we need another $10,000 is space to call up Glendening (Assuming no LTIR)

Our options as of writing this are Emmerton, Parkes and Coetzee. I'd assume Emmerton would be the choice.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure how much cap we gain on a per/day basis. But we need another $10,000 is space to call up Glendening (Assuming no LTIR)

Our options as of writing this are Emmerton, Parkes and Coetzee. I'd assume Emmerton would be the choice.

I think we have the emergency card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad