Post-Game Talk: **** you, Refs. Jets lose 5-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
yes. because that's how Jets v2.0 should operate.
based on history from 20 years ago from a different franchise.

people forget that, although he's putting up stellar numbers, Hutchinson may not be ready for a 60 game NHL workload plus playoffs. i have no issue with a goalie rotation. but i'm at the point where the split should be 65:35 Hutch: Pavs.
perhaps last night's game is the tipping point for that. Hutch is in Phila. if he plays well, go back to him on saturday night.
totally cool with having Hutch ride the wave, but not for him to be run to death.

I get your point but based on recent history, dating back to 2011, Pavelec has been a complete disaster in Pittsburgh.

Not advocating for Hutch to play 60 games........ but he needs to be anointed the starter and play about 3 of every 5 games.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I get your point but based on recent history, dating back to 2011, Pavelec has been a complete disaster in Pittsburgh.

Not advocating for Hutch to play 60 games........ but he needs to be anointed the starter and play about 3 of every 5 games.

I think they could have continued the rotation, but just give Hutch the game last night and play Pav in Philly. They did it over the Christmas break. Hutch on both sides of the break.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think they could have continued the rotation, but just give Hutch the game last night and play Pav in Philly. They did it over the Christmas break. Hutch on both sides of the break.

my only thought is that yesterday's start was to set the table/tone for the rest of the season. sacrifice a W in order to feel comfortable in riding Hutch more for a playoff run. or it was done to give Pavs the chance to show that it's a new season and new beginning. if you can win in Pitts, we're going to continue the rotation and show you that you're important for our playoff run.

i don't see the choice of Pavs starting as being completely random. i really don't. and i'm not a tea leaf reader like some of you :)

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
my only thought is that yesterday's start was to set the table/tone for the rest of the season. sacrifice a W in order to feel comfortable in riding Hutch more for a playoff run. or it was done to give Pavs the chance to show that it's a new season and new beginning. if you can win in Pitts, we're going to continue the rotation and show you that you're important for our playoff run.

i don't see the choice of Pavs starting as being completely random. i really don't. and i'm not a tea leaf reader like some of you :)

Do you really believe the Jets intended to lose the game last night?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As hard as this is to believe.....Pardy. I'm not sure Postma or Trouba playing on their off side is the best option so Pardy is the option as the LHD. He was arguably better than Stu 2.0 when they were both in the lineup.

Bottom line is neither if them should really be anywhere near a legitimate NHL top 6.

Even if Maurice had no option other than to play Harrison, why does he persist in playing him with the 4th line and then give him PK responsibilities? It seems so obvious that he is the last person you want on D when you are short-handed.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
...hate to say it, but Pavs looked like he'd had a few before the game tonight. He was swimming through his crease all night, and couldn't find the puck to save his life. As usual, any shot on net is a likely rebound in a dangerous place.

You beat me too it. I thought he looked out of it. He had no idea where plays were developing, where the puck was or where it would rebound to. Looked like more than just an off night.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
There were 4 non calls I noticed last night, 2 trips, one interference, and of course the obvious to many men that cost us a goal.

We didn't play a great game by any stretch, but we were far from being outplayed by the Pens. They get a gravy penalty on Lowry, for being to big while throwing a body check, then the refs turn blind eyes to 2 infractions that occurred after.

Thankfully we are not in the same conference as the poster boys for the NHL. To many times playing this team reffing comes into question.

We started off very wobbly, got things back in the second, and had the refs job us in the third. Thought Kane played his best game of the season, Lowry and Thorbs really provided a relentless fore check and used their size effectively. Hopefully that line keeps that level of play, and we get the Scheif/MP/Frolik line going in Philly.

Tough loss, but I think this team can walk away from this without questioning to many things about our game. Goaltending was an issue, Pavs was fighting the puck all night, giving up bad second chance opportunities.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
200.gif

Yuck. Terrible performance by most of the team. Enstrom/Bogo and the 3rd line are the only players to get a pass.

Harrison and Pavs were the largest anchors.

The team better rebound on Thursday. Tougher games are coming.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Obviously not the best game from the whole team, excluding third line.

But man were those refs bad. Totally unacceptable non call on the Pens' second goal. As we saw Letang was already shooting the puck when the player heading to the bench actually reached it. I mean...UGH! Guess you can just send 5 fresh players in to force the play and just wait for the 5 other, long shift played ones to return to bench eventually. At some point. No rush. No need to make calls.

And then the penalties. 2 of the 3 Jets' penalties were deserved and had no problem with them. On the other hand, Lowry's penalty was just phantom. But what baffles me is why weren't pens getting any penalties? I mean from the top of my head Letang's cross-checks (happened twice atleast) were pretty obvious and so was Downie's hit (charging) on Enström in the first period. (Well might be debatable, but definitely worse than Lowry's hit). Wheeler also caught stick up high at some point during a rush. But the bottom line is: 0 penalties for pens (well majors and those slashing penalties leading to 4 vs 4, but no PP's to us). Unacceptable.

Pavs also deserves a HM, but discussing it further is just beating a dead horse. We knew what was ahead.

Add to that, the stick holding. Two VERY blatant holding on Bogo trying to join the rush (no call) and Kane trying to enter the O zone in front of the ref (no call).

Horrible reffing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Add to that, the stick holding. Two VERY blatant holding on Bogo trying to join the rush (no call) and Kane trying to enter the O zone in front of the ref (no call).

Horrible reffing.

Pens are just behind the Jets in terms of penalties this season, but magically manage to go the entire duration of a physical game without a single minute short-handed. I've basically given up on expecting any calls on behalf of the Jets. The too many men and Lowry's phantom "charge" were two of the worst non-calls / calls I've seen. Is there any accountability for these refs? Any recourse for Chevy and the Jets? I would imagine that Chipman is tearing a strip off someone in the NHL head offices today. I'm not sure how Maurice holds it together game after game when he sees his team getting jobbed.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Can someone explain to me why buff and enstrom do NOT try to get back to stop that empty net goal? Especially Enstrom since it's his side. There was still over 30 seconds left and they could have had an icing call or at least attempted to stop the goal.

That was just odd.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
.... just wanted to reiterate - Adam Lowry is improving by leaps and bounds as the season progresses. Not only is he good defensively, he is really improving his play with the puck. I also love his physical play - he blew up Downie twice on the same shift, getting a bogus "charging" penalty for the second hit.

tucker22*

Aug 8, 2012
Can someone explain to me why buff and enstrom do NOT try to get back to stop that empty net goal? Especially Enstrom since it's his side. There was still over 30 seconds left and they could have had an icing call or at least attempted to stop the goal.

That was just odd.

If you watch buff got back but he guarded the left hand post thinking the player would try the wrap around. The player saw that and reversed to put it in the other side of the net.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg

That was just odd.

Yeah, it was. I don't know what they were thinking on that play, but they didn't try very hard.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I think this is Pav's last year as a Jet. I don't particularly care where he goes, but he shouldn't be starting for us with Hutch looking ready to take over the position. Either way, I'm hoping Hutch gets at least 2:1 ratio of starts from here until post-season if we're going to contend for a playoff spot.

Hutch has 2 more wins than Pavs in 11 fewer starts. If those numbers aren't simple enough to comprehend I don't know what is.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If you watch buff got back but he guarded the left hand post thinking the player would try the wrap around. The player saw that and reversed to put it in the other side of the net.

Exactly, which is why I thought it was odd that Enstrom simply coasted in too late.

Just inexplicable lack of drive to win.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
.... just wanted to reiterate - Adam Lowry is improving by leaps and bounds as the season progresses. Not only is he good defensively, he is really improving his play with the puck. I also love his physical play - he blew up Downie twice on the same shift, getting a bogus "charging" penalty for the second hit.

I'm willing to bet that Lowry thought the days of him getting penalties for hitting guys too hard were over when he left juniors. Those refs sure proved him wrong!:help:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I hate to say it, but I think Pomo does not control the team. Chevy tells him who to play. Pomo can't be that stupid.

Been well known since year one.

The food chain of command is :
Money contract/mistakes
GM/who gets to play
Coach/fall guy

How many times do we have to cheer for a team that plays well enough to win only to be worked by their own goalie, on going for years, that goalie doesn't win games and hardly is a key factor in team/fan confidence.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
We cannot know for sure... I don't think PM ever plans to lose, but I do believe he has his biases and blind spots. By his (PM's) own admission, Pav's performance in Dallas blew him away and likely influenced him to adjust the rotation so Pav could have a repeat performance in a few days....just as Hutch has been the go-to guy for Chicago. This was a big mistake, as there is no guarantee that Hutch will play lights-out in Philly, thus perpetuating the rotation.

Even if Maurice had no option other than to play Harrison, why does he persist in playing him with the 4th line and then give him PK responsibilities? It seems so obvious that he is the last person you want on D when you are short-handed.
This is another manifestation of Maurice's tendency to stick with people he knows and likes, despite evidence to the contrary. I actually think Harrison's 'character' may be unduly influencing PM, because, talent-wise, other than his size and shot, he is a complete disaster. The man is dangerous on the ice, in many ways.

I'm a big PM fan overall, but he, like his players, needs to work on his weaknesses, or it'll cost the team big-time.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

He is going to be a better player than wonder boy very shortly, guy doesn't take shifts off, something that has crept I to wonder boys game for some exclipable reason.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I have a nice, cold, refreshing glass of Winnipeg tap water with Pavelecs name written all over it.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Been well known since year one.

The food chain of command is :
Money contract/mistakes
GM/who gets to play
Coach/fall guy

This is so untrue. That conspiracy theory is totally bogus. The coach decides who plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad