Post-Game Talk: **** you, Refs. Jets lose 5-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If you listen to Maurice speak, he seems to have a new philosophy of thinking it's a good thing to change your goalie after he plays well instead of only after a bad game. He talks about that all the time. I think he abandons that thinking if it starts costing the team in the standings. Hutch's time is coming soon.

Only thing Maurice has abandoned is his mind. Still some pissed about the decisions he is making that are costing us games.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
This is so untrue. That conspiracy theory is totally bogus. The coach decides who plays.

MjAxMy1kNmRmZWJhNmEwNWViMmM4.png
conspiracy-theorist.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
We cannot know for sure... I don't think PM ever plans to lose, but I do believe he has his biases and blind spots. By his (PM's) own admission, Pav's performance in Dallas blew him away and likely influenced him to adjust the rotation so Pav could have a repeat performance in a few days....just as Hutch has been the go-to guy for Chicago. This was a big mistake, as there is no guarantee that Hutch will play lights-out in Philly, thus perpetuating the rotation.

This is another manifestation of Maurice's tendency to stick with people he knows and likes, despite evidence to the contrary. I actually think Harrison's 'character' may be unduly influencing PM, because, talent-wise, other than his size and shot, he is a complete disaster. The man is dangerous on the ice, in many ways.

I'm a big PM fan overall, but he, like his players, needs to work on his weaknesses, or it'll cost the team big-time.

Very good post. I too really like so much of what PM does, but man (as advertised before he got here) does he ever have a weakness for overplaying his vets. Wake up and smell the coffee please PM.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
He is going to be a better player than wonder boy very shortly, guy doesn't take shifts off, something that has crept I to wonder boys game for some exclipable reason.

Sip, I blame wonder boys recent slump on you being so hard on him all year:sarcasm:

Truthfully, he was one of the best Jets for so long early in the season but he just could not get a break. Now he is obviously trying too hard, holding the stick to tight, or has lost confidence. Dang you Sip.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Been well known since year one.

The food chain of command is :
Money contract/mistakes
GM/who gets to play
Coach/fall guy

How many times do we have to cheer for a team that plays well enough to win only to be worked by their own goalie, on going for years, that goalie doesn't win games and hardly is a key factor in team/fan confidence.

Sorry, but I think this is complete nonsense. Anyone who thinks that Maurice doesn't control who plays and who starts in goal is just looking for bogus excuses to slag Chevy.

Maurice is responsible for playing Pavs, and Maurice is responsible for giving us the atrocious Harrison (a guy who used to play for Maurice back in Carolina).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He is going to be a better player than wonder boy very shortly, guy doesn't take shifts off, something that has crept I to wonder boys game for some exclipable reason.

Both are doing fine - month of January:

Name|pos|Team|Gm|G|A|P|G60|A60|P60|CF%|PDO|PSh%|ZSO%Rel|TOI/Gm
Mark.Scheifele|C|WPG|9|1|6|7|0.4|2.2|2.6|54.2|105.5|7.1|-5.2|18.1
Adam.Lowry|CL|WPG|9|1|5|6|0.5|2.3|2.8|53.7|107.8|12.5|17.1|14.3

I give more credit to Lowry doing extremely well, as opposed to Scheifele doing poorly. He's getting tasked with much heavier defensive zone assignments, and he's STILL beating those starts.

Can he do more? Of course. Is he a liability? Not a chance.

To end on a positive note: that was a fantastic game by Lowry, and excellent games by Kane and Thor. That line was on fire last night, and really seemed to know where everyone was going to be. Perhaps Kane just fits with other smash-mouth players better.

Thor has more than his share of warts, but he does skate well. Kane is an incredible skater, and Lowry has become very quietly efficient in his skating. They seem to make a more than decent 3rd line, and forechecked the heck out of the Pens last night. I hope to see this line more going forward. I have placed my Thor pitchfork into the shed for the short term, until I can see them together in another couple of games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I have been concerned with Scheif's lack of progress this year, and very pleased with Lowry's. Interesting that Lowry is just one goal shy of Scheif.

Scheifele has shown that when he is intense, and keeps his feet moving, he can be a very effective player, but there are too many games like last night where he just doesn't seem into the game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sip, I blame wonder boys recent slump on you being so hard on him all year:sarcasm:

Truthfully, he was one of the best Jets for so long early in the season but he just could not get a break. Now he is obviously trying too hard, holding the stick to tight, or has lost confidence. Dang you Sip.

I don't mind if he's not getting the goals, but he needs to give more of an intense effort.

He needs to watch how Kane plays to give him a clue about what he needs to do to be effective. Skill and responsibility takes you only so far, you need to bring it every shift. He seems a bit too nonchalant.

By the way, our "#1 line" did nothing good last night.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Time for a BIG Adam Lowry update.

Some of you keep repetitively claiming that he has limited offensive upside and should center the 4th-line next season; in reality he has put up 6 points in his past 7 games played, and those are damn good numbers for an NHL rookie. His numbers project out well over the season for a first-year player. His size, compete level, and his defensive awareness/ability make him the best 3C the Jets have deployed for several years, in my view.

Others keep stating that Lowry should play 4C next season due that Burmistrov's supposed future return here should relegate him there. In his final season in Winnipeg Burmistrov put up 10 measly points in 44 games; Lowry already has 15 over 48 games played - as a first-year player.

#bigadamlowry
#facts
#beast
#haveaniceday

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Both are doing fine - month of January:

Name|pos|Team|Gm|G|A|P|G60|A60|P60|CF%|PDO|PSh%|ZSO%Rel|TOI/Gm
Mark.Scheifele|C|WPG|9|1|6|7|0.4|2.2|2.6|54.2|105.5|7.1|-5.2|18.1
Adam.Lowry|CL|WPG|9|1|5|6|0.5|2.3|2.8|53.7|107.8|12.5|17.1|14.3

I give more credit to Lowry doing extremely well, as opposed to Scheifele doing poorly. He's getting tasked with much heavier defensive zone assignments, and he's STILL beating those starts.

Can he do more? Of course. Is he a liability? Not a chance.

To end on a positive note: that was a fantastic game by Lowry, and excellent games by Kane and Thor. That line was on fire last night, and really seemed to know where everyone was going to be. Perhaps Kane just fits with other smash-mouth players better.

Thor has more than his share of warts, but he does skate well. Kane is an incredible skater, and Lowry has become very quietly efficient in his skating. They seem to make a more than decent 3rd line, and forechecked the heck out of the Pens last night. I hope to see this line more going forward. I have placed my Thor pitchfork into the shed for the short term, until I can see them together in another couple of games.

I think Scheif is still doing fine in some areas, but he needs to bring more as a 2nd line C. I wonder how much of his success is playing with Perreault and Frolik. He just needs to be more consistent in his intensity, in my opinion.

Time for a BIG Adam Lowry update.

Some of you keep repetitively claiming that he has limited offensive upside and should center the 4th-line next season; in reality he has put up 6 points in his past 7 games played, and those are damn good numbers for an NHL rookie. His numbers project out well over the season for a first-year player. His size, compete level, and defensive ability make him the best 3C the Jets have deployed for several years, in my view.

Others keep stating that Lowry should play 4C next season due that Burmistrov's supposed future return here should relegate him there. In his final season in Winnipeg Burmistrov put up 10 measly points in 44 games; Lowry already has 15 over 48 games played - as a first-year player.

#bigadamlowry
#facts
#beast
#haveaniceday

Lowry has been terrific. I am very bullish on his future.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Lowry is playing way above expectations, and oozes brains, brawn and maturity.
Scheif is in a mini-slump, but the reasons are very "explicable". He is only 21--Lowry's age--and inconsistency is often seen in sophomores given increasing responsibility and attention by the other team.
Wheeler, a player who Scheif reminds me of in many ways, wasn't even playing in the NHL at Scheif's age, and is still working on consistency.
Despite all that, despite Lowry's recent hot streak and Scheif's little slump, Scheif had twice as many total points as Lowry before last night's game, placing him at a low top-6 centre level at the age of 21.
Scheif will come out of this little 'fall'...but feel free to give him a shot while he's down :sarcasm:

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
The penguins have our number. Since the Jets came back to Winnipeg the record now is 14 losses and 2 wins. Only 2 wins since 2011! This is a conspiracy! Somewhere in all those contracts with regard to the Jets return is a clause signed in blood and imposed by Bettman that we must lose to Crosby's Penguins.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
But Crosby wasn't playing last night so we technically could have won without violating the contract.

(If only the refs read the fine print).

m.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Even if Maurice had no option other than to play Harrison, why does he persist in playing him with the 4th line and then give him PK responsibilities? It seems so obvious that he is the last person you want on D when you are short-handed.

Agree wholeheartedly, it's just baffling. I understand Maurice has the reputation of being loyal to a fault with vets but his attachment to Harrison defies logic. It's not like Pardy was born yesterday though, other than the ties to Carolina why Harrison over him?

Maybe the strangest part is the Jets have avoided playing a D-man on his off side all year, yet when they do its with........ Jay ****ing Harrison?!!

PoMo disappointing me on this one.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Agree wholeheartedly, it's just baffling. I understand Maurice has the reputation of being loyal to a fault with vets but his attachment to Harrison defies logic. It's not like Pardy was born yesterday though, other than the ties to Carolina why Harrison over him?

Maybe the strangest part is the Jets have avoided playing a D-man on his off side all year, yet when they do its with........ Jay ****ing Harrison?!!

PoMo disappointing me on this one.

For all of Pardy's faults guy was pretty good on the PK, really can't think of any reason to be playing Harrison over him.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Been well known since year one.

The food chain of command is :
Money contract/mistakes
GM/who gets to play
Coach/fall guy

How many times do we have to cheer for a team that plays well enough to win only to be worked by their own goalie, on going for years, that goalie doesn't win games and hardly is a key factor in team/fan confidence.

This is so untrue. That conspiracy theory is totally bogus. The coach decides who plays.

I blame Maurice for starting Pavs last night.

That said, I seriously doubt that we'd be rotating goalies if Pavelec were making $750,000/year on a 5 year deal - with the way he's played these last 3.5 years. So the "money/contract vs. performance" conspiracy has some legs.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
If there really was a goaltending conspiracy Hutch wouldn't be playing every other game.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Scheifele has shown that when he is intense, and keeps his feet moving, he can be a very effective player, but there are too many games like last night where he just doesn't seem into the game.
Don't beat me up only my second post but Scheifele to me has not been the same since his injury. While watching games we have a running count of how many times he falls down on his ass.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
I would not be surprised to see Chariot sit when Stu is back, Kane looked great last night, actually that whole line was very good. Boy Wonder was again very weak, maybe POMO should try Lowry on the 2nd line. Almost forgot, **** off back to Europe Pav you truly are a POS.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I would not be surprised to see Chariot sit when Stu is back, Kane looked great last night, actually that whole line was very good. Boy Wonder was again very weak, maybe POMO should try Lowry on the 2nd line. Almost forgot, **** off back to Europe Pav you truly are a POS.

Harrison needs to sit for good. But I suspect when Stu comes off the IR the Jets will waive Pardy or Postma to make room.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
While I can't wait to crack a bottle of champagne the day Pavelec sets sail back to play in the Czech beer league, I find some solace in knowing that there is no way we get the "opportunity" to draft Trouba, Morrissey, and Ehlers if he's league average.

---

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed
he was walking along the beach with the PAVELEC.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to him, and the other to the PAVELEC
When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there were actually four sets of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he
questioned the PAVELEC about it:

"PAVELEC, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there were four sets of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed you most you would be partying with other people."
The PAVELEC replied:
"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see four sets of footprints,
it was then that I carried you and brought along TROUBA, MORRISSEY and EHLERS ."

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
would have been even a better bargain had he been bought out last summer when it should have happened.

I think the best we can hope for now is that we finally start running a real number 1 in Hutch and actually treat Pav like the (expensive) back-up he really is. I don't have any confidence in Pav's ability to handle the demotion though. I think it could shake his confidence and make him even worse in net...

I don't begrudge anyone for Pavelec being on the roster this year. If things had gone the other way, he can single-handedly move a team up around five spots at the draft.

It's clear now, however, that the Jets are ready to make some damn waves.

Time for him to go.

If you listen to Maurice speak, he seems to have a new philosophy of thinking it's a good thing to change your goalie after he plays well instead of only after a bad game. He talks about that all the time. I think he abandons that thinking if it starts costing the team in the standings. Hutch's time is coming soon.

Going back to the platoon made symbolic sense given just how amazing Pavelec was in Dallas. But this wasn't like Dallas and I'm hoping this was the last time we see anything like a tandem.

If Pavelec earned that one, let's hope he needs to earn more starts.

Agreed.

Silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad