Post-Game Talk: **** you, Refs. Jets lose 5-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Both are doing fine - month of January:

Name|pos|Team|Gm|G|A|P|G60|A60|P60|CF%|PDO|PSh%|ZSO%Rel|TOI/Gm
Mark.Scheifele|C|WPG|9|1|6|7|0.4|2.2|2.6|54.2|105.5|7.1|-5.2|18.1
Adam.Lowry|CL|WPG|9|1|5|6|0.5|2.3|2.8|53.7|107.8|12.5|17.1|14.3

I give more credit to Lowry doing extremely well, as opposed to Scheifele doing poorly. He's getting tasked with much heavier defensive zone assignments, and he's STILL beating those starts.

Can he do more? Of course. Is he a liability? Not a chance.

To end on a positive note: that was a fantastic game by Lowry, and excellent games by Kane and Thor. That line was on fire last night, and really seemed to know where everyone was going to be. Perhaps Kane just fits with other smash-mouth players better.

Thor has more than his share of warts, but he does skate well. Kane is an incredible skater, and Lowry has become very quietly efficient in his skating. They seem to make a more than decent 3rd line, and forechecked the heck out of the Pens last night. I hope to see this line more going forward. I have placed my Thor pitchfork into the shed for the short term, until I can see them together in another couple of games.

Scheifele has fallen to whipping boy status. When the group hate for Pavs spills over its banks other targets are required. Scheifele will become more consistent as he develops and once again will walk among the favoured. No fear over the next season or 2 Morrissey, Petan and Ehlers will join the ranks. After the new car smell fades we will realize they too are imperfect and maddeningly inconsistent young players and they too will each take a turn as whipping boy. Only Sir Jacob Trouba has escaped the fate. Hutch is still in the new car phase. Just wait until he lets in a stinker or two in a playoff game.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm constantly amazed at the criticism leveled at a 2nd year player logging 2C minutes and not costing his team goals.

Is he above reproach? No but I think the perspective gets lost, if he's like this halfway through next year and after, fire away.

Troubaloobaloop

Jul 17, 2014
Vancouver
That game left a bad taste in my mouth.

Pavelec came out cold after the All Star break and I'm hoping he realizes that he has to show up or else he'll be riding the pine for the remainder of the season (which may not be too bad actually considering I hate how he plays in March).

Harrison was a band-aid and its become abundantly clear that he should also be a healthy scratch, I haven't seen such a slow useless pylon since Hal Gill. I mean can he at least hit somebody hard and make himself noticed out there? It is horrifying he has another year on his contract.

I'm not too worried about Scheifele, scorers are streaky and he just had a bad game along with the rest of the 2nd line that I barely noticed out there.

Lowry is a stud and gets unfairly called on penalties for being a big hard player, but it comes with the territory.

The Refs were god awful and makes me wonder why the hell we seem to get the short end of the stick. I'm going to say that it's karma coming back to haunt me for laughing so hard when Briere scored on them on a missed offsides call in the playoffs a couple years back.

Oh well, off to Philly!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Time for a BIG Adam Lowry update.

Some of you keep repetitively claiming that he has limited offensive upside and should center the 4th-line next season; in reality he has put up 6 points in his past 7 games played, and those are damn good numbers for an NHL rookie. His numbers project out well over the season for a first-year player. His size, compete level, and his defensive awareness/ability make him the best 3C the Jets have deployed for several years, in my view.

Others keep stating that Lowry should play 4C next season due that Burmistrov's supposed future return here should relegate him there. In his final season in Winnipeg Burmistrov put up 10 measly points in 44 games; Lowry already has 15 over 48 games played - as a first-year player.

#bigadamlowry
#facts
#beast
#haveaniceday

I've agreed with you since the preseason on Lowry. I see him being a beast down the middle for a decade or more. In a couple years he will likely be getting 40-50 points and patrol the middle with size and strength few can match.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'm constantly amazed at the criticism leveled at a 2nd year player logging 2C minutes and not costing his team goals.

Is he above reproach? No but I think the perspective gets lost, if he's like this halfway through next year and after, fire away.

on the Pens' broadcast, they called Scheif "a great two-way centre."
i was like "woah...this isn't the guy we drafted."
think the reality is a career projection similar to B Little's career, but with more goals.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
my only thought is that yesterday's start was to set the table/tone for the rest of the season. sacrifice a W in order to feel comfortable in riding Hutch more for a playoff run. or it was done to give Pavs the chance to show that it's a new season and new beginning. if you can win in Pitts, we're going to continue the rotation and show you that you're important for our playoff run.

i don't see the choice of Pavs starting as being completely random. i really don't. and i'm not a tea leaf reader like some of you :)

Of course it wasn't random. It was Maurice playing his idiotic rotation.

Hutch-Pav-Hutch-Pav...

Couldn't be more simple to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think Scheif is still doing fine in some areas, but he needs to bring more as a 2nd line C. I wonder how much of his success is playing with Perreault and Frolik. He just needs to be more consistent in his intensity, in my opinion.

I think a lot of Scheifele's success lately is down to playing with those guys, Perrault especially.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
on the Pens' broadcast, they called Scheif "a great two-way centre."
i was like "woah...this isn't the guy we drafted."
think the reality is a career projection similar to B Little's career, but with more goals.

I'll take that any day of the week.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I think a lot of Scheifele's success lately is down to playing with those guys, Perrault especially.

Which I think is pretty par for the course for the vast majority of young players. Play with a couple of veterans and develop your game with them, it's pretty rare you'll find a 2nd year player being the dominant, driving force on a particular line.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Not one of the Jets better games, Looked very sloppy and sluggish in the first, noticed lots of guys have tans, must have still been thinking about the beach. Pav was not good but the reffing was pretty awful too and directly lead to the tying goal in the second and indirectly lead to the go ahead goal in the third also, weak call on lowry, 4 seconds later a goal. Reffing has been garbage. Kane,LowrY,Thorburn have played very well together the last few games and it continued tonight for sure. LLW were invisible, Perreault was invisible too. To the people going on about Scheif, the guy is a 2nd year player and does create a lot of chances for his line mates, obviously Perreault was shaking off some of the rust tonight, gotta wonder if he's 100 percent healthy too, Fhrolik didn't look very good either but i think a lot of Perreaults success this season can be attributed to playing with Scheif who is very much a play maker, personally i wish he would shoot more, he's got a laser of a shot, but he's become a pretty good two way center ice man in only his second year. Lowry is a stud and it would be interesting to see him move to the wing if we could find a more rounded 3rd line center, I like lowry, i do, i just feel he'd be better on the wing for some reason. Pavs sucked, anyone blaming chevy for starting Pav needs to pull their heads out of their butts for sure, It's obviously Maurice.. Honestly shocked me to see PAV start, he's terrible against Pitt, actually the whole team is terrible against Pitt dating back to their Atlanta days. Not sure starting Hutch would have made a difference, maybe tho because PAV did look lost out there, big rebounds, wasn't following the puck either at all.

Overall, because it was against a team they suck against, and after a break where guys heads were still stuck on the beach, I'll give them a pass this game. Move on and get ready for Philly.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Will be all in with my vCash against Philly.

If Hutch starts my money will be on the Jets. If Pav starts its all in on the Flyers. :help:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From the evidence in front of us, I'd play Pardy before Harrison. Hopefully Stuart won't be out too long. As maligned as he is, he is still far closer to a #6 guy.

Pardy really isn't that bad. It seems to me that he uses his head and compensates for his worst flaw, cement feet. Gives pretty solid defense, all things considered. War on Ice seems to be down. Looked at HockeyAnalysis.com and as far as I can make out his possession stats have looked pretty good.

I noticed Harrison in a positive way a couple of times last night. Using his size to push a player off the puck and to protect the puck. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the ice on PK though. Pardy isn't much good there either but better than Harrison.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Enstrom and Stu.
Bogo and Trouba.

that would be interesting pairings.
don't care which way any of them shoot. it's not like Stu and Enstrom shoot anyways.

With D it isn't about the shots. It is about which side their stick is on when backing into the D zone and which side it is on when they need to pass the puck. It makes a difference and there is no way to completely compensate. For shooting the argument can be made that having the stick on the inside is better anyway.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this is Pav's last year as a Jet. I don't particularly care where he goes, but he shouldn't be starting for us with Hutch looking ready to take over the position. Either way, I'm hoping Hutch gets at least 2:1 ratio of starts from here until post-season if we're going to contend for a playoff spot.

Hutch has 2 more wins than Pavs in 11 fewer starts. If those numbers aren't simple enough to comprehend I don't know what is.

I hope you are right but it looks like wishful thinking to me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We cannot know for sure... I don't think PM ever plans to lose, but I do believe he has his biases and blind spots. By his (PM's) own admission, Pav's performance in Dallas blew him away and likely influenced him to adjust the rotation so Pav could have a repeat performance in a few days....just as Hutch has been the go-to guy for Chicago. This was a big mistake, as there is no guarantee that Hutch will play lights-out in Philly, thus perpetuating the rotation.

This is another manifestation of Maurice's tendency to stick with people he knows and likes, despite evidence to the contrary. I actually think Harrison's 'character' may be unduly influencing PM, because, talent-wise, other than his size and shot, he is a complete disaster. The man is dangerous on the ice, in many ways.

I'm a big PM fan overall, but he, like his players, needs to work on his weaknesses, or it'll cost the team big-time.

The bold.

Both are doing fine - month of January:

Name|pos|Team|Gm|G|A|P|G60|A60|P60|CF%|PDO|PSh%|ZSO%Rel|TOI/Gm
Mark.Scheifele|C|WPG|9|1|6|7|0.4|2.2|2.6|54.2|105.5|7.1|-5.2|18.1
Adam.Lowry|CL|WPG|9|1|5|6|0.5|2.3|2.8|53.7|107.8|12.5|17.1|14.3

I give more credit to Lowry doing extremely well, as opposed to Scheifele doing poorly. He's getting tasked with much heavier defensive zone assignments, and he's STILL beating those starts.

Can he do more? Of course. Is he a liability? Not a chance.

To end on a positive note: that was a fantastic game by Lowry, and excellent games by Kane and Thor. That line was on fire last night, and really seemed to know where everyone was going to be. Perhaps Kane just fits with other smash-mouth players better.

Thor has more than his share of warts, but he does skate well. Kane is an incredible skater, and Lowry has become very quietly efficient in his skating. They seem to make a more than decent 3rd line, and forechecked the heck out of the Pens last night. I hope to see this line more going forward. I have placed my Thor pitchfork into the shed for the short term, until I can see them together in another couple of games.

Yes, the bold , again.
It is more than just this game. Thor has been looking much better over a stretch of games. Hard to say when it started as it seems to me to have been a gradual thing. Just seems like he is thinking better and concentrating better to eliminate some of his worst play.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It is more than just this game. Thor has been looking much better over a stretch of games. Hard to say when it started as it seems to me to have been a gradual thing. Just seems like he is thinking better and concentrating better to eliminate some of his worst play.

I think part of it is: Kane and Lowry play a fairly simple game - not dumb, but more smash-mouth than anything. They come at you with speed, and will crush you with hits on the forecheck, and also cycle very well. Thorburn, for all his faults, is a very good skater, and is a big body. If he keeps things simple, that line could work pretty well going forward. Smallest guy on that line is 6'2, 200lbs. Scary line, if they're working hard.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I blame Maurice for starting Pavs last night.

That said, I seriously doubt that we'd be rotating goalies if Pavelec were making $750,000/year on a 5 year deal - with the way he's played these last 3.5 years. So the "money/contract vs. performance" conspiracy has some legs.

It may explain him still being in the NHL. It does NOT explain him still being the 'starter' in anyone's eyes. It does not explain him playing last night. The door on rotation should have been slammed shut and locked tight with Hutch's last game. **** and some more ****! Continuing this rotation idea is BS. Its time has come and gone. :rant:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While I can't wait to crack a bottle of champagne the day Pavelec sets sail back to play in the Czech beer league, I find some solace in knowing that there is no way we get the "opportunity" to draft Trouba, Morrissey, and Ehlers if he's league average.

---

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed
he was walking along the beach with the PAVELEC.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to him, and the other to the PAVELEC
When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there were actually four sets of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he
questioned the PAVELEC about it:

"PAVELEC, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there were four sets of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed you most you would be partying with other people."
The PAVELEC replied:
"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see four sets of footprints,
it was then that I carried you and brought along TROUBA, MORRISSEY and EHLERS ."

Well, that deserves some kind of recognition. :thumbu: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad