News Article: Yinzer moms mad at Sid for cutting line

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Within reason... i'm fine with it. Restaurants already do it. If it can prevent issues from happening and create safety - then go for it!

Within reason...

I don't think there are any legitimate safety issues, to be honest.

I guess I don't get enough celebrities around my neck of the woods to be conditioned to watching them move to the front of the line wherever they go. Especially at a government office.

When merchants walk into banks, is it cutting if they go to their separate merchant lines and are taken before your average check-casher?

People are looking at this wrong. Crosby wasn't brought to the front of the line due to special treatment. Organizations have systems like this in place to reduce customers' wait time and increase the flow of traffic in high traffic areas.

Merchants have an entirely different M.O than individuals going to a bank. They have to make regular timed deposits, get change, etc. Crosby is doing exactly the same thing as everyone else at the DMV.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Merchants have an entirely different M.O than individuals going to a bank. They have to make regular timed deposits, get change, etc. Crosby is doing exactly the same thing as everyone else at the DMV.

he's trying to. Sidney Crosby never does exactly what regular people do in public though, because regular people wouldn't allow him to.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He has the same agenda as everyone else at the DMV.

I don't care what his agenda is. He'd probably be perfectly happy getting a number and waiting quietly, but that simply isn't an option for him. It would turn in to people asking him to sign autographs and take pictures in a heartbeat. And whether he wants them taken or not, the picture part is going to happen. Just look at the pictures in the Pens off the Ice thread. Some of those are clearly taken without him even knowing he's being photographed while he's just trying to have a meal.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I still don't understand why the newspaper didn't ask this woman what the fridge she was doing at the DMV to make a license renewal take 90 minutes, two people and two lines, instead of "take a number, license renewer, and sit down for 5 minutes."

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I still don't understand why the newspaper didn't ask this woman what the fridge she was doing at the DMV to make a license renewal take 90 minutes and two lines, instead of "take a number and sit down for 5 minutes."

Seriously, I have never been at the DMV for longer than 30-40 minutes including my permit and drivers tests.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Wanna cut the line? pay for the people's renewals that you are cutting. Sid obviously has the money, gets good press, and everyone is happy.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
he didn't ask to cut in line. he doesn't owe anyone there anything.

Unless you were there, we really don't know that. A list celebrities have pretty good publicists.

If this was a private club/restaurant then whatever, but it does rub me the wrong way about cutting line at public gov't buildings.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Unless you were there, we really don't know that. A list celebrities have pretty good publicists.

If this was a private club/restaurant then whatever, but it does rub me the wrong way about cutting line at public gov't buildings.

the fact that this is even a story at all makes me question that in this case :laugh:

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ

You guys are killing me here. Yes, have him wait in line and everyone there calls 2 people to tell them "OMG Sidney is here!!1!" then let's see what people are complaining about about. I less person in line, big freakin' deal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't care what his agenda is. He'd probably be perfectly happy getting a number and waiting quietly, but that simply isn't an option for him. It would turn in to people asking him to sign autographs and take pictures in a heartbeat. And whether he wants them taken or not, the picture part is going to happen. Just look at the pictures in the Pens off the Ice thread. Some of those are clearly taken without him even knowing he's being photographed while he's just trying to have a meal.

That comes with the territory. Autographs and pictures at the DMV are not a reason to let a celebrity cut in front of everyone else who had waited patiently, AFAIC.

Celebrities get enough perks day-to-day. We don't need to have them government-regulated now too.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I blame Shero.

Sid wouldn't have to go through this if there was a legit heavyweight on this team. You didn't hear about this stuff when BGL or Godard was around.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That comes with the territory. Autographs and pictures at the DMV are not a reason to let a celebrity cut in front of everyone else who had waited patiently, AFAIC.

Celebrities get enough perks day-to-day. We don't need to have them government-regulated now too.

but that stuff is going to get in the way of the DMV operations and slow things down. Which is exactly why they have the policy. It isn't designed as a perk for celebrities; its designed to keep the DMV running smoothly.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
but that stuff is going to get in the way of the DMV operations and slow things down. Which is exactly why they have the policy. It isn't designed as a perk for celebrities; its designed to keep the DMV running smoothly.

Why is that? Do picture-taking and autographs slow down the line?

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
You guys are killing me here. Yes, have him wait in line and everyone there calls 2 people to tell them "OMG Sidney is here!!1!" then let's see what people are complaining about about. I less person in line, big freakin' deal.

Thread winner. This guy gets it. Sid is above all you yinzers. Let him get in and get out of the dmv (which the dmv permitted him to!!') so he can get back to work on getting us results on the ice.

Get over it.

Last edited:

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Anyone here have gold or above status on an airline? It's nice to cut in front of those coach customers ain't it? Do it at security and then do it again at the gate-And then sit in first with a drink and stare at everyone going to the back.

You too can feel like a celebrity just go be somebody or something and suck it up.

We all know Sid does plenty of goodwill in the community. Heck, he even plays goalie in adult dek hockey league. Who wants to play goalie? Not me!

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Anyone here have gold or above status on an airline? It's nice to cut in front of those coach customers ain't it? Do it at security and then do it again at the gate-And then sit in first with a drink and stare at everyone going to the back.

You too can feel like a celebrity just go be somebody or something and suck it up.

We all know Sid does plenty of goodwill in the community. Heck, he even plays goalie in adult dek hockey league. Who wants to play goalie? Not me!

:help:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Considering that Mrs Campbell's reaction to seeing Sydney Crosby was to immediately call in the newspapers and/or make him have a conversation with her daughter, I would think that the policy has been justified by this sequence of events.

I mean, Jesus, it's not like the DMV has a bunch of guys in the back room just waiting in case there's a need for crowd control. And even if they did, a crowd-control side show is going to delay people from doing whatever it is they're trying to do more than getting the "distraction" out of there as soon as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad