News Article: Yinzer moms mad at Sid for cutting line

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
This is hilarious.. :laugh:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9...dney-crosby-pittsburgh-penguins-expedited-dmv

Sidney Crosby walked into a Pittsburgh-area DMV and wasn't there for long.

It's a newsflash for most.

But other patrons like Susan Campbell, 46, were made to wait Friday at the same location in the suburb of McCandless.

Crosby, there to renew his driver's license, became the beneficiary of a Pennsylvania DMV policy in which celebrities can be ushered to the front of the line if supervisors determine it would help in "keeping control and keeping disruptions to a minimum," a spokeswoman for the motor vehicles department told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

While some would otherwise celebrate it, Crosby's presence quickly became a matter for debate.

"I disapprove," said Campbell to the Post-Gazette after waiting in line twice during an hour-and-half visit. "He should have to sit and wait with everyone else."

Campbell's 22-year-old daughter, Stephanie, acknowledged her reaction to Crosby's arrival was just what the DMV's policy makers had in mind.

"If I knew he was going to be there, I'd be down there in five seconds," Stephanie Campbell told the newspaper.

Friday was a special day for Jacob Davis, 16. He successfully passed his driving test to earn his license. But he was less than impressed by Crosby.

"He's another person like everyone else," Jacob said.

Sherry Davis echoed her son's sentiments.

"He probably should have waited," she said.

According to the Post-Gazette's report, celebrities are free to have their agents book an appointment with the Pennsylvania DMV ahead of time; a local office manager will then promptly assist them.

Safe to say, it's an option Crosby could consider.

"I think, with his popularity, he's going to get inundated and it's going to be totally disruptive if he's not taken," said Paula Miles, 52. "I'd rather have that than have a mob scene."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think celebrities - Sid or not - should be given priority either.

He should have to wait like everyone else.

Trepanated

Jan 11, 2007
Complete disregard for the community like that can only mean he knows he's about to be traded. But the fact that he's renewing his PA license can only mean it's to the Flyers.

More seriously, it's one thing if a celebrity walks in and demands special treatment and behaves like an idiot. It's another thing entirely if the staff recognize that chaos will ensue if they make him wait out in GenPop for hours on end, and take action to get him processed. The way this article sounds, this was a case of the latter.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
More seriously, it's one thing if a celebrity walks in and demands special treatment and behaves like an idiot. It's another thing entirely if the staff recognize that chaos will ensue if they make him wait out in GenPop for hours on end, and take action to get him processed. The way this article sounds, this was a case of the latter.

Agreed.

Sid didn't walk in and demand to be serviced. The DMV has these situations setup so chaos doesn't break out in the waiting room.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
I don't think Sid is some demanding celebrity. It doesn't sound like he just walked in, beat up five people, and went to the front of the line.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
judging by the fact that the people *****ing immediately went to the media it seems like this is a good policy

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Lots of idol worship here.

There are ways for the DMV to handle this such that regular people aren't being pushed down...it's all about perception.

For example, provide a ultra-express line that costs 10x.

Besides, as it is now ....
Apparently you can schedule an appointment.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The funny part is where the lady says the police should come down and keep order while Sid waits to get his license.

Isn't there something more newsworthy, like the latest repairs to the Zamboni, than this?

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think Mrs Campbell is doing it wrong. An hour and a half? Twice?

My last few trips to the DMV, I waited no more than 5 minutes.

Gwydyr

Allons-y Alonso
Jul 12, 2013
Gonna have to add this to the list of 'why Crosby is overrated':

1. His #YOLOSWAG is not enough to sustain fans in the teenage demographic.
2. His cellies lack the passion of Russian stars, namely Yakupov and Ovechkin.
3. John Tavares contract has a cap hit of 5.5M. Crosby is not 3.2M better than Tavares.
4. He doesn't do drugs or prostitutes; therefore, he is not entertaining like similarly hyped NFL players and famous Hollywood actors. He has thus failed as the face of hockey.
5. He doesn't turn his wingers into 100 goal scorers despite what those on HF's trade boards would imply. Even more indicting, Malkin turned Neal into a 40 goal scorer, yet Kunitz can't even get 30. All Crosby's fault.
6. Cuts in line at the DMV. Clearly has disregard for the community that supports his team.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's interesting to see the person's occupation listed next to the comments. Not to judge anyone, but it's funny to see a guy that works at a grocery store post:

"He ain't nobody more important than me."

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
"Hey Vinnie and Cookie, long time listener first time caller. I just wanna say dat Sidney Crosby should wait in line like da rest of us. I saw a guy who looked Charlie Batch at Giant Iggle dis one time and I didn't do nothin'. I think his injuries make him afraid of people gettin' near him n'at, I'll hang up an' lissen to yer comments"

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Does anyone see Crosby as a prima donna type?

Policies like this do not spring out of thin air, usually an incident occurs and policies like these are put in place. The DMV likely had issues which caused them headaches so found that to keep the operation running smoothly they just do this. It is not like Crosby is the first sports star who needed to renew his license. Not to mention other locally known stars. I can imagine that here have been major issues in the past.

I do not see the big deal, except that people always are looking for ways to be aggrieved.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
And if he had waited in line, there would have been people complaining about the resulting chaos and not being able to get into the DMV :laugh: Then the article would have been something about how there outta be a policy about expediting public figures. Poor Sid, can't win for trying.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Wow... I thought this was a joke... but, no, it's an actual article. Roethlisberger ain't lookin' so bad now, I predict the people to egg Crosby's house and make hurtful signs about this, people from Pittsburgh too.

Vive la Revolution!

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Sure, he should wait like everyone else. But then you'd get a mob of people trying to get his signature which would've been a nightmare which would've made it worse. No doubt the anti-Crosby crowd will use this though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sure, he should wait like everyone else. But then you'd get a mob of people trying to get his signature which would've been a nightmare which would've made it worse. No doubt the anti-Crosby crowd will use this though.

Actually, many sports stars have commented that Pittsburgh overall is very respectful of them in public. They often use Montreal as a comparison and how they would be swamped if they went out in public. One selling point I hear over and over about why they stay here.

That said, there would be some of that for sure if a star were in line for 15 minutes to a half hour. And there had to be incidents in the past to cause this policy. Imagine Bradshaw standing in line at the DMV in the 70's for instance. It has the potential for some real issues. It is just asking for trouble, even if Pittsburgh overall is pretty respectful of their stars when out in public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad