News Article: Yinzer moms mad at Sid for cutting line

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Right. Blame the DMV...not Sid. I agree with the DMV though. Not to mention, if I were a celebrity like Sidney Crosby, having to go through the process of renewing a drivers license would be 10x more painful than it is for the rest of us because he would never be left alone.

nobody should be blamed because nothing wrong happened.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
:laugh: @ Neal

Now that the team is on to it, Sid will never hear the end of it. Wait until they're lining up for something like getting off of the bus; "Hold on everyone, Mr Crosby, please come with me"

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Madden was saying that the reason this hit the papers is because one of the Post Gazette's editor's wife, was one of the people at the DMV at the time. And she was all bent out of shape and complained to hubby.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Madden was saying that the reason this hit the papers is because one of the Post Gazette's editor's wife, was one of the people at the DMV at the time. And she was all bent out of shape and complained to hubby.

between this and he-who-should-not-be-named (or at least clicked on) claiming that his article created discord between Shero and Letang, it looks like the Post Gazette is trying it's damnedest to run the Pens stars out of town. :laugh:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
This team is never going to win a Cup with a line-cutter and a lazy Russian who wants to the play for the Habs as its top players.

fact, don't even try to argue

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
What's this monster done today? Kicked a disabled child in the head? Hacked Neal's twitter to deflect the outrage?

The Pittsburgh media is like a bad reality show, for the most part anyway.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If we're listing Sid's crimes against humanity, he also swept the leg

pp0186.jpg

useless

Feb 2, 2011
The first page of this thread really exemplifies the connection between a posters intelligence and hatred towards player they don't know on this board. That or people are just trolling to get under someones skin.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
between this and he-who-should-not-be-named (or at least clicked on) claiming that his article created discord between Shero and Letang, it looks like the Post Gazette is trying it's damnedest to run the Pens stars out of town. :laugh:

Full Rossi works for the Trib, though. The Post-Gazette is normally the better of the two papers at covering the Pens.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
you are correct. the Post-Gazette has Molinari and Rorabaugh and Anderson.

Now the Trib is being all self-righteous basically blaming the PG for creating drama where there is none. Really? First
of all, that article was written by someone I never hear of, not Molinari or Shelly. I agree it had no place in the news, but for the "Enquirer" Trib, Yohe, Full Rossi and Dejan to be criticizing the PG is laughable.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Shelly Anderson of the PG just posted an article that tries to put the whole DMV thing in perspective, despite the Trib, who have Full Rossi as the Pens "beat writer", gleefully pointing their fingers at the PG for irresponsible journalism.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/penguins-plus/122283-crosby-and-the-dmv

I actually disagree with Shelly. It seems as though she's just defending her paper. The original article was poorly written and bad journalism. It also heavily favored 'Ms. Campbell' as the main source, which unbalanced the article.

From Shelly's article:
Here's some background: Crosby was seen at the DMV and seen going to the front of the line. Someone called the Post-Gazette newsroom (not the sports department, which was not involved in the story). Editors there thought it might be interesting to look into the DMV's policy for handling celebrities. That's the story that was assigned. That's the story that was written.

The problem here is, that's not the story that was written. It barely mentioned the DMV policy, the article mainly had quotes with people complaining about Crosby.

If the assignment was to look into the DMV's policy for handling celebrities, than the original writer should not have focused on Crosby alone. She should have gone and researched other celebrities who had preferential treatment. The quotes were also focused on criticizing Crosby instead of asking those she interviewed about the policy itself. If the article was truly meant to be about the DMV policy and not meant to criticize Sid, then what was the purpose of including this quote:

By not waiting with the rest of the applicants, Mr. Crosby missed a chance to let fans get to know him and to encourage their respect for him as a person, Ms. Campbell said. When her daughter, Stephanie, was young, for instance, NHL hockey pro Wayne Gretzky broke away from signing autographs at a golf tournament to spend a few minutes talking to the girl and getting his picture taken with her, she said.

It was the kind of gentlemanly behavior that won their family's admiration.

"Those are the people fans learn to love and encourage their children to follow -- the ones that take the time to talk and be themselves," Ms. Campbell said. "It depends on what kind of character you want to show, and it depends on how you want people to talk about you."

Shelly also mentioned that the article didn't use language that editorialized the article, but that's untrue as well. It was certainly not written like a hard hitting news piece. The original writer didn't reach out to Crosby's camp or bother finding out that he had an appointment. The worst part is, this shouldn't even have been news at all.

The Trib is awful sometimes as well, but they have every right to point at the PG for this and say it's bad journalism, because, well, it was.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I actually disagree with Shelly. It seems as though she's just defending her paper. The original article was poorly written and bad journalism. It also heavily favored 'Ms. Campbell' as the main source, which unbalanced the article.

From Shelly's article:

The problem here is, that's not the story that was written. It barely mentioned the DMV policy, the article mainly had quotes with people complaining about Crosby.

If the assignment was to look into the DMV's policy for handling celebrities, than the original writer should not have focused on Crosby alone. She should have gone and researched other celebrities who had preferential treatment. The quotes were also focused on criticizing Crosby instead of asking those she interviewed about the policy itself. If the article was truly meant to be about the DMV policy and not meant to criticize Sid, then what was the purpose of including this quote:

Shelly also mentioned that the article didn't use language that editorialized the article, but that's untrue as well. It was certainly not written like a hard hitting news piece. The original writer didn't reach out to Crosby's camp or bother finding out that he had an appointment. The worst part is, this shouldn't even have been news at all.

The Trib is awful sometimes as well, but they have every right to point at the PG for this and say it's bad journalism, because, well, it was.

Good stuff, I wholeheartedly agree.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Shelly Anderson of the PG just posted an article that tries to put the whole DMV thing in perspective, despite the Trib, who have Full Rossi as the Pens "beat writer", gleefully pointing their fingers at the PG for irresponsible journalism.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/penguins-plus/122283-crosby-and-the-dmv

I couldn't help but notice how Shelly attempts to distance the Sports desk from this schmozzle. If I had to guess I'd think that she's trying to appease the Pens because her job will be more difficult if they don't want to deal with the post-gazette.

Very weak defence of the original article though. Waffle Fries summed it up perfectly.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Very weak defence of the original article though. Waffle Fries summed it up perfectly.

Indeed. She's usually pretty good, but this "defense" is pure tripe.

"Crosby was seen at the DMV and seen going to the front of the line. Someone called the Post-Gazette newsroom (not the sports department, which was not involved in the story). Editors there thought it might be interesting to look into the DMV's policy for handling celebrities. That's the story that was assigned. That's the story that was written. "

I don't believe that rationale for a moment. Someone was mad and called the P-G, so they decided to do a story on Sidney Crosby getting preferential treatment at the DMV. At least "that's the story that was written."

As someone else said, Shelly'll have to deal with the aftermath of her rag's stupidity on a daily basis, so she's attempting (weakly) to justify it. She should have just let it die.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad