Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So slava Voynov beats his wife goes to jail then makes 4 million in the KHL but Lesipic calls a girl fat and won’t get a contract? Very unintelligent comment.

Well Voynov didn't talk smack about his teammates or their wives. Let alone the admitted drug substance abuse.

Edit: For people who got the wrong idea, Domestic Abuse is also very much awful. I was just prioritizing it as something based in the workplace, such as making fun of co-workers and their partners, also doing an illegal drug.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol I have family in the NHL and I can confirm this.

Have their conversations also been leaked for everyone to see?

Just because a lot of others may do it doesn’t mean you can’t be punished if you get caught. If I get caught with a bunch of drugs do you think the cops will let me go free if I tell them all my friends do them too?

Reactions: SimR

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
The comments are a breech of good conduct and decency , let's not pretend many, many of the folks holding stones are innocent of the same types of behavior.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It’s absurd to think he’s banned from hockey for being a mean spirited asshole on the internet. He will get a PTO and if he earns a contract, he will get a contract.

I am 100% confident he is also a mean spirited asshole in real life too.

Reactions: Dumais

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Just one thing... What the brothers said was terrible and not worthy of coming out of a human beings mouth... but its also a group chat. A private chat.... I mean some players usually say worse things in chats with their friends. They're getting kicked out for comments about people that aren't even true? Lol it seems like a desperate attempt by the NHL to seem powerful.. Honestly they made themselves look a little feeble

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Freedom of speech protects you from criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits for the things that you say. It does not protect you from being fired when you stay stupid, racist, sexist shit that is bad for an organization's PR.
and there comes the lawsuit... people have a right to work... and we dont just allow any employer to willy-nilly break contracts without having the law speak on the matter.

I understand this is not a popular cause to take up... but where do we draw our lines? im not gay so will I care if homosexuals are fired for their beliefs? im not black and im not a woman and im not under 5 feet tall nor am I over 7 feet. I dont have any strong religious belief. will i care when some employer decides these are things bad for their image?

where is the line drawn? thats the thing... you got to fight the fight every time they try to drive a wedge in the crack. here is a guy who had a contract. he did some private shit talk with a few friends. now his contract got terminated.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It’s not about laws. In this case it’s about his contract and how he represents the company he works for.

His comments were harmful to his company and to the people he made them about.

It doesn’t matter if it was a private conversation, once it became public he was in trouble.

As I said to someone else, do some research on what Freedom of Speech really is.

the funny thing about contracts... they are a legal thing. and when you got a misunderstanding about the legality of it then you go to court. the capitals will end up being put on the spot saying if you say bad words about a woman we will terminate your legal contract.

then... they need to stay consistent. the second they screw up and make an exception they will be open for lawsuits. people wrongfully terminated hire lawyers and ask the courts why was I fire and this other guy wasnt.

if dipshit here is in the habit of talking crap with his friends... what are the odds he did it with other teammates before? what are the odds he has a lot of saved conversations himself that he could release in court? who has he shared his crap with before and what did they say?

bad bad bad precedence here. the smart thing would have been waive him to the minors... honor the contract... let him disappear because he sucked as a hockey player. turning this into a free speech debate is not good at all

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
the funny thing about contracts... they are a legal thing. and when you got a misunderstanding about the legality of it then you go to court. the capitals will end up being put on the spot saying if you say bad words about a woman we will terminate your legal contract.

then... they need to stay consistent. the second they screw up and make an exception they will be open for lawsuits. people wrongfully terminated hire lawyers and ask the courts why was I fire and this other guy wasnt.

if dipshit here is in the habit of talking crap with his friends... what are the odds he did it with other teammates before? what are the odds he has a lot of saved conversations himself that he could release in court? who has he shared his crap with before and what did they say?

bad bad bad precedence here. the smart thing would have been waive him to the minors... honor the contract... let him disappear because he sucked as a hockey player. turning this into a free speech debate is not good at all
The point I’ve made multiple times, is that this isn’t a freedom of speech thing. They did not waive him because he spoke, they waved him because of the way his words were a negative representation of his employer.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
and there comes the lawsuit... people have a right to work... and we dont just allow any employer to willy-nilly break contracts without having the law speak on the matter.

I understand this is not a popular cause to take up... but where do we draw our lines? im not gay so will I care if homosexuals are fired for their beliefs? im not black and im not a woman and im not under 5 feet tall nor am I over 7 feet. I dont have any strong religious belief. will i care when some employer decides these are things bad for their image?

where is the line drawn? thats the thing... you got to fight the fight every time they try to drive a wedge in the crack. here is a guy who had a contract. he did some private shit talk with a few friends. now his contract got terminated.

It is not willy-nilly nor is there much doubt in the legality.
There are morality clauses in NHL contracts that cover things like this.

If there was not a morality clause and the team terminated the contract because they disagreed with his morals, Leipsic, and by extension your arguments/concerns would have a clearer path to counteraction, but it's explicitly written in, and Leipsic knows that and signed to it when he signed his contract. The League even approved it too; you can't just send any contract to termination, which means it must have been vetted against some by-laws (or it was mutually agreed upon, in which case all of this would be moot anyway).
The NHLPA may file a grievance internally, just for due process, but I doubt if there are any external litigations it will be about the termination.

Additionally, there is not real reason why the team would have to say consistent, as it were (other than court of public opinion). It is up to a team when they want to invoke such clauses.

Lastly, in terms of honouring the contract, Leipsic had no more contract left. He was an impending RFA and the last pay cheque had already been resolved so there was no money left owing either (if plays does resume, admittedly, he could have in theory still played, though, yes).

If Washington, then, had made their decision to part from already and not re-sign him, they then really had 3 choices:
1) terminate him now (either with the player's agreement or invoking a morality clause)
2) not entering club-elected arbitration or offering a qualifying offer, thus letting him become an unrestricted free agent mid-June (dates are a little subject to what happens with the draft)
3) offer him a qualifying offer (at the risk him accepting the offer or electing for player-elected arbitration and being stuck with him) and retain his rights but not sign him, effectively holding him hostage from the NHL and any League with a transfer agreement

Option 3) is just bad for many reasons.
Option 2), it might be the path of least resistance, but it just prolongs the process and makes the Capitals look non-committal in the court of public opinion by not just sitting on it
Option 1) is clear, direct, legal, and if grieved they can easily point to options 2&3 and claim they were actually doing him a favour by not holding him for longer, allowing him to begin his own process of reconciliation and finding new work

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Have their conversations also been leaked for everyone to see?

Just because a lot of others may do it doesn’t mean you can’t be punished if you get caught. If I get caught with a bunch of drugs do you think the cops will let me go free if I tell them all my friends do them too?

f***in thank you. This whataboutism is mindnumbing.

Me and some buds used to sneak off and smoke after school when we were 16. You know what we never did? Texted each other about it! In case someone went through our phones! And we had the combined IQ of a shovel!

If you're an NHL player and you got a conduct clause in your contract and you still wanna rail lines at the club and brag about puss like you're still 15, fine man, go for it. But you gotta remember Dr. Seuss: it's fun to have fun but you have to know how. If you're going to be stupid, at least be smart about it.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

This is an interesting thought. You can request a copy of all of your digital information from companies like Facebook (who own Instagram) and Google. Leipsic could easily start sewering people in retaliation if he wanted.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I am 100% confident he is also a mean spirited asshole in real life too.
I doubt he’d make most, if not all, of his comments to the respective peoples faces. Pearson would probably tune him. Hathaway, Wilson, yeah he may be an asshole in real life but in real life there are consequences.

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Ultimately I’m glad I can still root for the Caps. What the Team and the League have done here is, perhaps mercifully, saved Leipsic from himself. Put him on the ice with those guys, including his own teammates, and opponents, and his comments have become a liability, undeniably.

No reason to make those comments ever, even in confidence, nothing to gain, and as we see now everything to lose. Dumb, stupid, immature, call it what you want. Men mature more slowly by nature, some boys simply never do.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Do you know what's kinda sad? If Leipsic was an actually good NHL player, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and had to take PR courses, like Seguin did when he tweeted out "nothing but steers and queers in Texas" after being traded to Dallas.
Do you know what the cool thing is? I’m gonna remember Nicole Zajac (pretty girl, strong spirit) far longer than I will Brendan Leipsic. Good job guy, you just wrote your own story that ends in obscurity and infamy, wonder if that’s how you pictured it. Remember the laughs you had, for surely the tears will follow. No one will hear them and you can relish the storm you wrought, how magnificent it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad