Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
he said something about liking drugs and something else about some people being ugly... and umm... wait... im trying to figure out what he said illegal... hmm... nope looks like a clear cut freedom of speech argument to me. I dont agree with it, but thats what defines freedom

Freedom of speech protects you from criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits for the things that you say. It does not protect you from being fired when you stay stupid, racist, sexist shit that is bad for an organization's PR.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
6 franchises in five years. How many players in history have ever had that happen in the first five years of their career? Could be indicative of players and management seeing it and just getting rid of him.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
It was private messages within a group of friends. That would be like saying cc'd emails or group text messages aren't private.

They aren't private.
Emails are routinely hacked and/or leaked.
Text messages (including photos) are routinely hacked and/or leaked and most of that stuff is entered into cloud storage where it can be accessed with a password crack.

Even beyond that, anything sent in a "group" setting is not private. Any member of that group could also choose to share it with others.

Reactions: DaveG

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It was private messages within a group of friends. That would be like saying cc'd emails or group text messages aren't private.
If I have something sensitive to say that I don't want repeated, I don't write it down and I especially don't write it down on a digital device. You can shred or burn a handwritten note on paper, but you can't destroy a data trail.

Once you send something by email or post it on any social media platform you've lost control of its propogation and you should consider your statement is public.

If I have something to say in confidence to my best friend, I pick up the phone and call him.

If I have something to say to one of my clients, I assume they're recording our call, which they are legally entitled to do.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Do you know what's kinda sad? If Leipsic was an actually good NHL player, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and had to take PR courses, like Seguin did when he tweeted out "nothing but steers and queers in Texas" after being traded to Dallas.

Yup.. very easy target for Leipsic to get blackballed forever I agree.

Easy for NHL to make a example with him

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If I have something sensitive to say that I don't want repeated, I don't write it down and I especially don't write it down on a digital device. You can shred or burn a handwritten note on paper, but you can't destroy a data trail.

Once you send something by email or post it on any social media platform you've lost control of its propogation and you should consider your statement is public.

If I have something to say in confidence to my best friend, I pick up the phone and call him.

If I have something to say to one of my clients, I assume they're recording our call, which they are legally entitled to do.

Yep, and it’s mind boggling that people can’t comprehend it. If you want it to stay private, never post it anywhere online or else it can so easily become public.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Just attach everything shady you say with a nude image of yourself so you can force takedowns of the content when you get hacked.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey

This 100% In the US recording laws vary by state, but even then if this happened over phone in a two party consent state we'd still be here right now.

I say all my racist and misogynistic stuff in person.

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
He was replaced by Ilya Kovalchuk anyway.

Never getting a hockey contract again. His next stop is cleaning toilets at Burger King.

Voynov says hi.

The reality is although Leipsic is a fringe 4th liner in the NHL he's better than the majority of players playing professional hockey and will easily find a spot on a team outside of the NHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

They aren't private.
Emails are routinely hacked and/or leaked.
Text messages (including photos) are routinely hacked and/or leaked and most of that stuff is entered into cloud storage where it can be accessed with a password crack.

Even beyond that, anything sent in a "group" setting is not private. Any member of that group could also choose to share it with others.

There absolutely is an expectation of privacy when it comes to emails, especially ones confidential in nature which can have multiple people cc'd on them. Just because something can be hacked or exploited doesn't remove the expectation of privacy. You have an expectation of privacy in your house, people can still break into it and take personal belongings. Some maybe embarrassing in nature.

Obviously, if you are saying something you never want to be tracked to you, you say it in person. But, that doesn't remove the expectation of privacy among private accounts. Something written in a private email or private group discussion isn't a public statement unless you really want to stretch the meaning of that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How quickly people have forgotten about Donald Sterling and his "private" conversation.

Moral of the story...private does not mean PRIVATE, especially today. Cell phones, CCTV, Alexa/Siri, etc...
Sterling probably would have been fine if he didn't have legacy of being a racist idiot. Plus, how that law-suit was resolved was quite convoluted. I believe they ruled he wasn't of sound mind, so his wife gained the power to sell the team.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Nobody will remember this in two months. I mean die-hard hockey message board types will. But normal people won’t.

Most Caps fans outside of the message boards won't even remember it, if they even are aware of it now.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
How did these chats leak? Whomever did it was a jerk. I know plenty of assholes, but I would never knowingly make their group texts public. It's an unwritten code.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
Sterling probably would have been fine if he didn't have legacy of being a racist idiot. Plus, how that law-suit was resolved was quite convoluted. I believe they ruled he wasn't of sound mind, so his wife gained the power to sell the team.

Agree with everything you said.

My point was, tho, that there is no such thing as "private" in today's world, regardless of whether you're online, with friends in a bar, or even sitting at home. The more digital/electronic we become, the more our lives become "public domain". People should know this already, so you can't use the "private" excuse anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad