Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I've said lot of things when I was young that I've come to regret. I think we should pump the brakes a little bit calling for this young man's career to end because he was trying to impress his friends by attempting to be some kind of cool macho stud.

Reactions: harv33173

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I've said lot of things when I was young that I've come to regret. I think we should pump the brakes a little bit calling for this young man's career to end because he was trying to impress his friends by attempting to be some kind of cool macho stud.
I think his career is over because he sucks, not because he said anything unforgivable.

The Dick to Production ratio, the D2P ratio was really skewed. If he wanted to get away with being caught...say...using racial slurs, he better have double digit goals.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not even sure what they said but to have your life ruined for a private chat is insane.

There's no such thing as a private chat. Even in the days before the internet, every word you speak to another person, every secret you tell...it all has the potential to get out. People have been fired because of office gossip hitting the wrong ears for decades.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
The fact he was so stupid to even risk giving up the league minimum by posting crap on line shows you his very limited intelligence. Winning teams don't want dumb players. You won't see him again in the NHL. He'll have to play in the AHL or Europe.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Everything you’ve said here is fine.

Now, if you are the owner or General Manager of the Capitals or any other team in the league, are you going to invite the torrent of bad publicity, stigma, and locker-room strife bringing on this type of player entails. Erik Karlsson - Mike Hoffman is still a thing. Hoffman had a tough time getting a new gig and he’s in a different tier than Leipsic. Leipsic effectively made the choice that his career should end where it has, he can get a regular job just fine.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Another reminder we live in fascist times.
Or that its not okay to debase people and flaunt criminal behavior in forums that may become public if you work for an employer that has any shred of investment in the respectability of their image, you know, whichev.

Fact is Leipsic knew the risks, or should have, and still took them. His immediate regret and back-tracking show he knew what he was saying would torpedo his career. He has no one to blame...

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Just makes Leipsic less employed, and the decisions he made less intelligent, nothing more, nothing less.

Also makes NHL more likely to get a lawsuit. Just saying, leaking private conversation should be (in real countries) protected by mail privacy laws and firing someone over a private chat in a secure media is pretty sure way to get to court.

Just referring to actual countries with real laws, not sure how this goes in the USA.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
It’s absurd to think he’s banned from hockey for being a mean spirited asshole on the internet. He will get a PTO and if he earns a contract, he will get a contract.
Na no one will give him a PTO, he was fringe NHLer anyways. He will end up in KHL or Europe somewhere.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You can get away with being a terrible human and teammate if you are a good player. You cannot if you are a fringe NHLer. He likely would have been heading to Europe at some point, this just sped the process up.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Also makes NHL more likely to get a lawsuit. Just saying, leaking private conversation should be (in real countries) protected by mail privacy laws and firing someone over a private chat in a secure media is pretty sure way to get to court.

Just referring to actual countries with real laws, not sure how this goes in the USA.
The NHL is, in no way, complicit in the “leak” so that theory is....for sake of time, stupid.

The NHL can fire anyone for breach of contract. There is no argument that this is a private form of communication, seriously?? A chat function on a public social-media website?? The expectation SHOULD BE that that communication is public because it probably will eventually be. Expecting that private conversations on Instagram are truly private is amateurish and juvenile, in a word it’s stupid.

Regardless, the burden would be on any of the parties to PROVE that the communication was compromised and lay bare the circumstances surrounding such, do you think you’re going to see anyone rushing to do that? The account wasn’t “hacked” someone who was jilted by one of the parties released it. For what good it will do you, chase that person down. Now that it’s public the NHL can certainly use it as they see fit until the above scenario is proven (hint, it never will be).

Also about actual countries. All the parties involved are known to be local to the Winnipeg area so how this goes in the USA would appear to be irrelevant.

Finally, you can hold your breath until the NHL or the Capitals face any lawsuit over this issue. I’m sure by that device the problem of your misinformed understanding will solve itself well before any such lawsuit arises.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I did not see any of the posts about his drug use, but if anything he posted can be considered an admission of illegal controlled substance use, then he will be at high risk for having immigration issues.

US immigration law is very clear on the matter. They can yank a work visa and/or give an entry ban. That takes a minimum of 6 months to correct.

Drug-tainted Toronto mayor wants to cross U.S. border to attend hockey game

Nigella Lawson banned from entering US after drug confession

LSD as Therapy? Write about It, Get Barred from US | The Tyee

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The NHL is, in no way, complicit in the “leak” so that theory is....for sake of time, stupid.

The NHL can fire anyone for breach of contract. There is no argument that this is a private form of communication, seriously?? A chat function on a public social-media website?? The expectation SHOULD BE that that communication is public because it probably will eventually be. Expecting that private conversations on Instagram are truly private is amateurish and juvenile, in a word it’s stupid.

Regardless, the burden would be on any of the parties to PROVE that the communication was compromised and lay bare the circumstances surrounding such, do you think you’re going to see anyone rushing to do that? The account wasn’t “hacked” someone who was jilted by one of the parties released it. For what good it will do you, chase that person down. Now that it’s public the NHL can certainly use it as they see fit until the above scenario is proven (hint, it never will be).

Also about actual countries. All the parties involved are known to be local to the Winnipeg area so how this goes in the USA would appear to be irrelevant.

Finally, you can hold your breath until the NHL or the Capitals face any lawsuit over this issue. I’m sure by that device the problem of your misinformed understanding will solve itself well before any such lawsuit arises.

Yeah, this makes sense. Also, what would he sue over? If some of what was posted is correct:
1) They owed him no more money this year
2) His contract expired on 6/30 so they terminated it 2 months early, when no hockey was being played.
3) The "damage" done to his image was done when the chat was released, not when the Caps terminated his contract.
4) Contracts have a morality clause.

What would he be suing for?

Reactions: 1989

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

....I'm no Caps fan to any degree but if I'm as loaded/ have the legal team as Ted Lenoisis. I'm not losing any sleep over a pathetic little runt like Leipsic trying to take me to court, its like a hobo taking Vince McMahon to court.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

P10p

May 15, 2012
Do you know what's kinda sad? If Leipsic was an actually good NHL player, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and had to take PR courses, like Seguin did when he tweeted out "nothing but steers and queers in Texas" after being traded to Dallas.

That's how the world works for better or worse.

If you're a more competent person, you are more valuable. Its actually very simple on the surface, its peoples emotions and refusal to see some people as more valuable that makes this a messy thought.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Yeah Leonsis a former AOL bigwig, lawyers for life times,who's house costs more then Leipsic's shoes, should be trembling in fear over an obscure Johnny come nobody who could barely even afford Lionel Hutz from the Simpsons, do you people realize how idiotic you sound at times? This guy would get laughed out of a court room trying to take on BOTH Ted, and the NHL.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
....I'm no Caps fan to any degree but if I'm as loaded/ have the legal team as Ted Lenoisis. I'm not losing any sleep over a pathetic little runt like Leipsic trying to take me to court, its like a hobo taking Vince McMahon to court.
Your basic premise is absolutely correct. But it goes a little deeper.

The NHL is a big business and all their decisions factor “selling the brand” into the equation. At the end of the day the NHL saves money, and ostensibly fans, by making significant negative publicity that can be easily silenced just go away. No one, big or important enough, is going to cry for Leipsic to change that equation. And the money is significantly on the side of making this go away as easily as possible which is what the Capitals and the League have done. And, yes, both parties - the Capitals and the League - are in the fortunate position of having the weight of resources and righteous morality (for what it’s worth) on their side.

Listen, I get it some people want to mitigate (not necessarily justify) Leipsic’s comments because, at some point, we’ve all said things we regret. The fact is, most people have the god-given good sense to know not to make those comments in a setting that can become public (any social media platform can become public, deal with it and behave appropriately). If those comments potentially jeopardize your employment, which is a privilege, not a right, then making those comments en masse is just doubling down on stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad