Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yes actually
Teams can invoke certain morality and public appearance clauses

Teams and players can also elect to mutually terminate a contract at anytime.
I assume there'd be some sort of "mutual" aspect to this even
"Brendan... you know–"
"Yeah, yeah, just end it"

Ya I don't understand whats so hard to grasp about this.

Regardless of what happens in other private conversations or behind the scenes, it wasn't brought out publicly - it being leaked to the public instantly makes it an issue. By the sounds of it there was enough evidence to warrant of a breach of contract for the Capitals to have grounds to request termination. On the flipside, Leipsic dug his own grave and doesn't really get any benefit fighting it.

This isn't about one player, this is about trying to change the culture. To everyone that thinks it's unfair for Leipsic, it probably is to a degree - but he's a fringe player which makes him a perfect person to make an example of. There would be double standards and it would turn out very differently if this happened with McDavid or Crosby, that's just part of life.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Uhhhh it kinda does?

Did he break any laws? Nope

Did he harm anyone? Nope

it was a private conversation that someone leaked

It doesn’t matter anyways he probably wouldn’t have gotten another NHL contract anyways
Except no it doesn't. At all

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not even remotely on the same level.

You don't think making homophobic slurs is not on par with making sexist slurs?

The reality is that if Leipsic was good, the Caps wouldn't have gotten rid of him. Which is really sad. NHL teams will take these stances on players who aren't good, but they'll do whatever they can to keep the player if they're good. In this case, the Capitals terminating Leipsic's contract is literally pointless. It's a nothing move that scores them points for "caring" about this kind of stuff. And I'm not criticizing the Caps for that, every NHL team would do the same thing.

Reactions: TFHockey

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Uhhhh it kinda does?

Did he harm anyone? Nope

It doesn’t matter anyways he probably wouldn’t have gotten another NHL contract anyways

You must not be familiar with almost every single employee contract. You can’t say whatever you want and if it goes against that companies morale code that you signed off on, then they can release you.

This isn’t new.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It’s absurd to think he’s banned from hockey for being a mean spirited asshole on the internet. He will get a PTO and if he earns a contract, he will get a contract.

I bet he won’t. He’s a dime a dozen 12/13th forward. There’s literally no upside for any NHL club taking a chance on him. He had 3 goals in 61 games. He was nearing the end of the line without putting added pressure on a club to have to justify signing him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Leipsic had the freedom to post all the nasty things his little heart desired in his group chats. The Caps/NHL have the freedom to terminate his contract and never employ him again when those comments leak. Consequences for being a butthole can be rough. Sucks to suck.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
His career isn’t ending he’s just getting a transfer to Russia.

For a NHL regular player in his prime (12/13th forward) not a star player with absolutely zero bargaining power based on skill and his current situation or no European background (Jagr, Kovalchuk) that’s kinda the same thing.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
NHL contracts have a standard material breach clause which basically holds players accountable while they’re under contract. It’s how the kings were able to get out of the Richards contract.

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference but the Kings didn't exactly "get out of the Richards contract."

They attempted to get out of the Richards contract by evoking said clause, but given that the clause is subjective they may not have been able to successfully defend the decision and had to settle with Richards for an amount roughly the same as what he would have received had he just been bought out. The settlement amount still counts against the cap, its just that the payment structure doesn't match the standard buyout, but the cumulative cap penalty does.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
For a NHL regular player in his prime (12/13th forward) not a star player with absolutely zero bargaining power based on skill and his current situation or no European background (Jagr, Kovalchuk) that’s kinda the same thing.
He’ll be up in Russia making a million a year dating a Russian model. Not really the same thing.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
You must not be familiar with almost every single employee contract. You can’t say whatever you want and if it goes against that companies morale code that you signed off on, then they can release you.

This isn’t new.
In private you can say whatever you want. My employer cant fire me for my personal views about religion, women, race etc. As long as you don't comment publicly you should be safe. Sadly it isn't the case in this instance.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Uhhhh it kinda does?

Did he harm anyone? Nope

It’s not about laws. In this case it’s about his contract and how he represents the company he works for.

His comments were harmful to his company and to the people he made them about.

It doesn’t matter if it was a private conversation, once it became public he was in trouble.

As I said to someone else, do some research on what Freedom of Speech really is.

Reactions: Callieflower

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
In private you can say whatever you want. My employer cant fire me for my personal views about religion, women, race etc. As long as you don't comment publicly you should be safe. Sadly it isn't the case in this instance.

He said it in private, and then it became not private. He should be a hell of a lot more careful where he acts like an idiot then.

Should the person who made it public be punished too? For sure, but that doesn’t excuse Leipsic either

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I doubt that. It would most likely be in violation of the NHL's substance abuse program to fire someone for that.

Pretty sure he's been paid out on the year, so this may be more of a statement than something that financially effects Leipsic. If money is involved, expect the PA to fight it hard. I mean, his comments are on the same level as what Panarin said in a public interview while in Russia, and he's now a top 5 paid player in the league. And, as for drugs, they still proudly employ Kuznetsov.
Fair enough, and I do agree that the fact his contract was expiring this summer had a big part in the public termination.

Reactions: TFHockey

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You don't think making homophobic slurs is not on par with making sexist slurs?

The reality is that if Leipsic was good, the Caps wouldn't have gotten rid of him. Which is really sad. NHL teams will take these stances on players who aren't good, but they'll do whatever they can to keep the player if they're good. In this case, the Capitals terminating Leipsic's contract is literally pointless. It's a nothing move that scores them points for "caring" about this kind of stuff. And I'm not criticizing the Caps for that, every NHL team would do the same thing.

Homophobic slurs are probably on par with sexists slurs, but sexists slurs towards the Wife/GF is a step above.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It's not a free speech issue, though, it's a code of conduct/breach of contract issue. The justification won't be "we don't like those things you said," it'll be "you made comments that breach the team's code of conduct and provided evidence of further breach of that code of conduct."

No different from firing someone for shittalking their employer on social media.

its kind of like... he was talking with some friends and said some crap right? he wasnt trying to ruin anyones reputation in public

there are currently people complaining their employer doesnt care about them and is doing unsafe workplace. there are other employees saying their workplace is hostile. we would never support firing these people even though they clearly are bad mouthing the reputation of their employer in public.

I mean if someone put on a kkk outfit and marched in a parade... or if they went and blew up a whaling ship to protest fishing or something... that is all actions. this was words. this was words between friends.

this was someone being an idiot online... but if that becomes grounds for being fired then we open up people supporting homosexuality... people supporting religions... people supporting home schooling... people supporting god knows what. theres always someone out here that will think your ideas are profane or stupid or harmful.

I hate when we have to use an idiot as a poster child to fight for freedom of speech... but if we dont fight for the idiots, we wont have anyone fight for us when its our turn on the plank

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Making those remarks about his teammates was the end regardless of the other comments. Especially when the co-workers/teammates he called losers are far more valuable assets then he is

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
There is no more "private". Eventually we will have thought monitors. Leipsic was probably typical of many macho guys of his age who have been well paid athletes-sad as it is. His statements were vile but probably were more thoughtlessly flippant with a desire to show his machismo to his buds. Probably many have said equally terrible things to their buddies as young men (and women) but there was not a rat around to publicize it. Does not make it right but a big price to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad