Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
MOD WARNING: This is now an NHL transaction, and so we will allow the thread to exist. However, refrain from the politics, mud-slinging, and name calling or we will lock it.

EDIT:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ciao

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not sure how payment is supposed to work with COVID going on, but he was on an expiring contract, so I don't think he was owed much (season was postponed with ~3 weeks left?)

Obviously was never going to have his contract renewed after this.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not sure how payment is supposed to work with COVID going on, but he was on an expiring contract, so I don't think he was owed much (season was postponed with ~3 weeks left?)

Obviously was never going to have his contract renewed after this.

The players last payday of the season was 4/15.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Not surprised. Private conversations should remain private, but it was obvious this clown doesn't know how to be one of the boys. He was cruel in most of his comments and not funny in the least.

Its one thing to make fun of a guy for taking home an ugly chick at the bar. Another for calling a guys wife fat when shes with her kid.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Do you know what's kinda sad? If Leipsic was an actually good NHL player, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and had to take PR courses, like Seguin did when he tweeted out "nothing but steers and queers in Texas" after being traded to Dallas.
Maybe, but it's hard to overcome direct comments about your teammates.

I really don't know if Seguin was referring to any of his teammates, but if he was it was at least a bit veiled. It's not fun to address cultural insensitivity, but is not at all like bad shit thrown within the dressing room.

If brings to mind Garrett Sparks, who was disciplined for sexist remarks, but was banished to the minors and traded for a bag of pucks when he cut up his teammates in the press.

PS Edited to correct reference to sexist rather than homophobic remarks that were not made.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Do you know what's kinda sad? If Leipsic was an actually good NHL player, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and had to take PR courses, like Seguin did when he tweeted out "nothing but steers and queers in Texas" after being traded to Dallas.

It's a very different time nowadays and, perhaps most crucially, he made disparaging comments about teammates. I'm not saying those were the worst comments, but they were the comments that would have caused most trouble internally. I am sure there are some guys who don't care about the misogyny or racism but are pissed that he shit-talked his teammates. Also kinda sad, but certainly the truth.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I see your point, but that's kinda normal isn't it?

Teams wave an instant goodbye to extremely expendable players like Leipsic, and work PR with the superstars.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Not surprised. Private conversations should remain private, but it was obvious this clown doesn't know how to be one of the boys. He was cruel in most of his comments and not funny in the least.

Its one thing to make fun of a guy for taking home an ugly chick at the bar. Another for calling a guys wife fat when shes with her kid.
Nothing on the internet is private.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Better hit up the group chat and find out who is hiring!
He's a bit old for the AHL, and not the kind of person they want to mentor the kids.

Is he good enough to catch on with the KHL? Maybe he would like Siberia, or whatever the heck is their most far-flung and least desirable franchise.

If not, maybe one of the European leagues?

I hope he did enjoy his time in the NHL, because I would have to guess that's all in the past now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
When you’re an NHLer, you have to be professional about everything. Obviously, there are exceptions of players doing whatever the hell they want, (say Evander Kane as an example), but E. Kane will always have his services called upon because he’s a top 6 LW, not a borderline 12th/13th forward like Leipsic.

You have to be a professional when you’re barely in an NHL lineup. I’m positive there have been worse conversations, name-calling, and vulgar by other NHL players but you’d think a player as replaceable as him would have taken it easy on this. Hope he finds a job in Europe because he won’t find one here.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He was replaced by Ilya Kovalchuk anyway.

Never getting a hockey contract again. His next stop is cleaning toilets at Burger King.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad