Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Your basic premise is absolutely correct. But it goes a little deeper.

The NHL is a big business and all their decisions factor “selling the brand” into the equation. At the end of the day the NHL saves money, and ostensibly fans, by making significant negative publicity that can be easily silenced just go away. No one, big or important enough, is going to cry for Leipsic to change that equation. And the money is significantly on the side of making this go away as easily as possible which is what the Capitals and the League have done. And, yes, both parties - the Capitals and the League - are in the fortunate position of having the weight of resources and righteous morality (for what it’s worth) on their side.

Listen, I get it some people want to mitigate (not necessarily justify) Leipsic’s comments because, at some point, we’ve all said things we regret. The fact is, most people have the god-given good sense to know not to make those comments in a setting that can become public (any social media platform can become public, deal with it and behave appropriately). If those comments potentially jeopardize your employment, which is a privilege, not a right, then making those comments en masse is just doubling down on stupid.

Yep.

It's also probably in Leipsic's best interest to not bring legal proceedings because what would he gain? From my understanding, the Caps owed him no more money so he can't claim loss of pay, unless of course the NHL comes back and he would get playoff money. His contract is up this year so he there was no financial obligation between the Caps and Leipsic next season so there really is no grounds for compensatory damages. The Caps didn't do anything to prevent him from signing elsewhere next year. If teams don't want to sign him, it's because of what was leaked, not because of the Caps reaction to it so he'd have a tough time suing the Caps for general (pain and suffering, mental anguish) damages or punitive damages since the Caps didn't cause any of that. On top of that, there's the morality clause he'd have to deal with.

Leipsic's best bet at ever getting another shot in the NHL is to be humble, stay out of the limelight and try to rebuild his image as best as he can. Might not be enough, but suing won't likely get him anything financially and wouldn't help getting another shot either.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Yep.

It's also probably in Leipsic's best interest to not bring legal proceedings because what would he gain? From my understanding, the Caps owed him no more money so he can't claim loss of pay, unless of course the NHL comes back and he would get playoff money. His contract is up this year so he there was no financial obligation between the Caps and Leipsic next season so there really is no grounds for compensatory damages. The Caps didn't do anything to prevent him from signing elsewhere next year. If teams don't want to sign him, it's because of what was leaked, not because of the Caps reaction to it so he'd have a tough time suing the Caps for general (pain and suffering, mental anguish) damages or punitive damages since the Caps didn't cause any of that. On top of that, there's the morality clause he'd have to deal with.

Leipsic's best bet at ever getting another shot in the NHL is to be humble, stay out of the limelight and try to rebuild his image as best as he can. Might not be enough, but suing won't likely get him anything financially and wouldn't help getting another shot either.

I wouldn't be surprised if he entered rehab shortly after he was terminated and then in a few months he comes out and says he has worked on his substance and mental health issues and is now a better person.

That's the only path forward I see for him to ever get another shot in the NHL. And he did refernce being high in the messages so it might work.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I would like for some team to sign him just that I can watch him play against he's former linemates (if that wasn't just a joke) and especially Pearson.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Or that its not okay to debase people and flaunt criminal behavior in forums that may become public if you work for an employer that has any shred of investment in the respectability of their image, you know, whichev.

Fact is Leipsic knew the risks, or should have, and still took them. His immediate regret and back-tracking show he knew what he was saying would torpedo his career. He has no one to blame...

I’m not surprised many here celebrate the continued destruction of society.

Reactions: Senafan

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
problem for him now is that well-paid gigs in europe are going to be harder to get. teams have already missed out on attendance money and playoffs this season and there is a great likelihood of limitations on crowd numbers next season as well. that means that teams in some leagues simply won't be able to offer anything much in terms of salary where once they might have. i reckon that a KHL season is the very best that he can hope for, but would be surprised if he even gets that.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I’m not surprised many here celebrate the continued destruction of society.

Getting pinged for being an idiot is the opposite of the destruction of society.

A little D.B.A.A. goes a long way towards any sort of “playing well with others” - in hockey & in life.

If a broadband connection and anonymity is all it takes for someone to go from “human being” to “toxic asshole,” let him eat cake.

Last edited:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah the dude is a huge idiot, can't even imagine the embarrassment that him and his family are living through.

I am quite glad, howver, that all of the stupid things I said to my friends in my 20s aren't public record.
This is probably most accurate. People never want to address the idea that theyve done bad things too and just didnt get caught.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah, this makes sense. Also, what would he sue over? If some of what was posted is correct:
1) They owed him no more money this year
2) His contract expired on 6/30 so they terminated it 2 months early, when no hockey was being played.
3) The "damage" done to his image was done when the chat was released, not when the Caps terminated his contract.
4) Contracts have a morality clause.

What would he be suing for?

Not arguing any of your actual points, but in the current corona situation and the well-reported possibility of continuing the regular season maybe past June 30 will put the pending-to-end SPCs in general in a funny legal position.

I understand we have been doing (c) reduction of operations since March:

SPC said:
17. If because of any condition arising from a state of war or other cause beyond the control of the League or of the Club, it shall be deemed advisable by the League or the Club to suspend or cease or reduce operations, then:

(a) in the event of suspension of operations, the Player shall be entitled only to the proportion of Paragraph 1 Salary due at the date of suspension,

(b) in the event of cessation of operations, the Paragraph 1 Salary shall be automatically canceled on the date of cessation, and

(c) in the event of reduction of operations, the Paragraph 1 Salary shall be replaced by that mutually agreed upon between the Club and the Player, or, in the absence of mutual agreement, by that determined by neutral arbitration.

1. It's quite possible that there are some contractual regular season monies still waiting for the season to continue and/or mutual agreement or arbitration on the sums to be paid.

2. I don't think they have stated in the SPC that the ending date is "June 30". The period of employment is quite likely determined by "League Year", the ending date of which I assume can in this situation be changed by the mutual agreement of NHL and NHLPA.

Obviously the sum owed is the actual issue here rather than the ending date; pre-termination of contract after all the actual money has been paid in itself could even be argued to be beneficial for a player because he immediately becomes UFA prior the July 1 rush.

But on the other hand, the termination denied him of the playoff bonuses (and the chance at the Cup), and the CBA prevents him from getting employed to play in the playoffs for any other team.

His practical unemployability makes these points for and against empty, of course.

Obviously courtesy of SPC Paragraph 5 he doesn't have a leg to stand on in court:

The Player further agrees,

(e) to conduct himself on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Imagine if the worst thinga you ever whatsapped became public knowledge and that’s the sole thing the entire world is going to judge you on.

I mean, yeh. He acted like a twat but let’s not go overboard. We’ve all here said and done similar things so let’s not get too pompous.

Reactions: wacko2

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Imagine if the worst thinga you ever whatsapped became public knowledge and that’s the sole thing the entire world is going to judge you on.

I mean, yeh. He acted like a twat but let’s not go overboard. We’ve all here said and done similar things so let’s not get too pompous.

I'm not judging him as a person, but there is a massive difference between the average person, and a Celebrity of any type, even a minor level one in hockey. You are in the spotlight, you represent your franchise and fellow players, and have a diligence to act as such. It's a higher accountability to Joe Public. When you act/speak/post in a manner that he did, there will be a negative consequence for it. Maybe he's young, naive and stupid, made a mistake, and is now paying for it... maybe he'll learn... or maybe he is the worst of how people have labeled him... really I don't know, and I don't care. From a hockey perspective, the punishment was just, and now he has to find a way to carve out a career, and act better.

Reactions: uncleben

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I see weve got a few Goody Two-Shoes in this thread! God Bless your ever-loving souls...

Anyone trying to claim theyve never spoken badly of someone or inappropriately about someone/in general is lying through their teeth

Reactions: Billdo and wacko2

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I see weve got a few Goody Two-Shoes in this thread! God Bless your ever-loving souls...

Anyone trying to claim theyve never spoken badly of someone or inappropriately about someone/in general is lying through their teeth
Every team I've been on had a few Neanderthal types that talked like jerks, usually to stoke their own egos. They were also the jerks that needed to haze rookies, drink too much, trash hotel rooms, etc. The best players and team leaders had to put up with them, but everyone knew they were jerks and didn't to have anything to do with them off the ice/court.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Elliotte Friedman said last week that he did a podcast with two former players. Both of which said that you cant bring that guy back to the team. Goody two shoes, I guess

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Elliotte Friedman said last week that he did a podcast with two former players. Both of which said that you cant bring that guy back to the team. Goody two shoes, I guess
Thats not at all what I was insinuating

Im glad this guys gone, hes too dumb to realize the worlds been given to him.

I, however, find it comical there are posters saying they havent ever talked badly of someone or acted/spoken inappropriately at any point in their life lmfao

In fact theres two instances on this page alone

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Who wants someone this stupid on their team? You don't realize that social media is never private, you are plain stupid.

Reactions: mattihp

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Thats not at all what I was insinuating

Im glad this guys gone, hes too dumb to realize the worlds been given to him.

I, however, find it comical there are posters saying they havent ever talked badly of someone or acted/spoken inappropriately at any point in their life lmfao

In fact theres two instances on this page alone

Its always a bad idea to talk shit about people behind their backs. I admit to not being strong enough of character to have never done it and what ive said has gotten back to them sometimes and made life difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad