Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
wish they had just paid him out after sending him home... I cant possibly support someone being fired for freedom of speech issues.

if I know him im advising him to take this to court now... its a fight that needs to be fought.

hate if he becomes a poster child for freedom of speech since he seems to be a total douchbag… but if he gets fired for some drug talk and making fun of peoples appearance or whatever... then god help the rest of us.

hope to hell no player I ever care about does anything remotely close to this... I never cared about this guy at all. dont care about him now either. but I do care about freedom of speech
It's not a free speech issue, though, it's a code of conduct/breach of contract issue. The justification won't be "we don't like those things you said," it'll be "you made comments that breach the team's code of conduct and provided evidence of further breach of that code of conduct."

No different from firing someone for shittalking their employer on social media.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
wish they had just paid him out after sending him home... I cant possibly support someone being fired for freedom of speech issues.

if I know him im advising him to take this to court now... its a fight that needs to be fought.

hate if he becomes a poster child for freedom of speech since he seems to be a total douchbag… but if he gets fired for some drug talk and making fun of peoples appearance or whatever... then god help the rest of us.

hope to hell no player I ever care about does anything remotely close to this... I never cared about this guy at all. dont care about him now either. but I do care about freedom of speech
Freedom of speech means he has can say what he wants, it does not mean he is free from the consequences of his words. He is an employee of a business and he gave that business negative PR, thus he is fired.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I feel bad...

Oh wait I was always considered a mysogonistic douche bag because I played high level hockey. Not because I was actually a mysogonistic douchebag but because people like Brendan Leipsic give the rest of us a bad name.

Take a seat “loser”

Reactions: LeProspector

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Teams are allowed to Terminate contracts? So Chicago can terminate Seabrooks contract?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Freedom of speech is probably something you should learn about since it does not mean that you can say whatever you want, whenever you want, about whomever you want, without consequence.

Last edited by a moderator:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I always wondered in a situation like this what would a team do if Tomorrow Ovechkin has his private messages released and it was similar to Leipsics?

Im just using OVI as an example Because it’s the same organization and he’s the best player.

You set a precedent and kind of back yourselves in a corner when you immediately terminate a contract for something like this. Better to suspend indefinitely( if thats allowed by the CPA)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It is very possible that the Caps know this and don't care. They are doing what's best for their image and if they end up having to pay the guy the remainder so be it.

If he is taking it to court is it even something he wants settled now? Would he not want to get some of the money due to the playoff teams? It's not a lot, but when you are only making 700k and extra 50k or 100k is quite a bit still. Especially considering that's what he's probably going to be making in a year now if he goes to the KHL
players were down to their final pay check anyways, which the PA opted to not receive and thus put into escrow. There’s no more money for him now anyways. He was due to be a rfa if the caps qualified him. Now he will be a ufa.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
He was replaced by Ilya Kovalchuk anyway.

Never getting a hockey contract again. His next stop is cleaning toilets at Burger King.
Lmao he’ll have 100s of European/Russian teams calling him even in North America ECHL would take him for sure such an ignorant statement.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not even remotely on the same level.
Maybe not, but do we really think that, if one of the stars in this league did what he did, his team would've gotten rid of him?

No, that's how life goes. If you're good at what you do you get forgiven more easily.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How did Leipsic breach? Is there a clause in the contract that says you can’t be a jerk?
Yes actually
Teams can invoke certain morality and public appearance clauses

Teams and players can also elect to mutually terminate a contract at anytime.
I assume there'd be some sort of "mutual" aspect to this even
"Brendan... you know–"
"Yeah, yeah, just end it"

Reactions: BrokenFace

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Probably unpopular but I don’t think he deserved this. Especially when a guy like Austin Watson didn’t get his contract terminated
Flip side is Watson had a good bit left on his contract whereas Leipsic was an RFA with nothing left on his contract after April 15th. Caps get to look like the good guys here and get a guy they likely would not qualify anyway out of the org. Only thing Leipsic loses out on from the Caps is a chance to go to arbitration.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I mean am I the only one that thinks the fact that private conversation being stolen and released to destroy someone is actually worse than the content of the conversations themselves?

It is, far worse actually. But no one here knows who did it so how would we discuss it anyways?

[qdp]

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Oh yes. Tell me how you’ve never said anything disparaging about someone before in any capacity. If you say you haven’t you’re full of shit.

"Disparaging in some capacity" that's your criteria? Judge I can't sit on the jury because I stole a candy bar in third grade.

You know what I posted, its right there. This isnt a reply. So what no one is allowed to take issue with bad behaviour but God alone? Some f***ing idea you got there. Brendan Leipsic made awful remarks they should be discussed as such. It's about holding them accountable and not normalizing awful behaviour and btw no, I have never said anything like what Leipsic said.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
NHL contracts have a standard material breach clause which basically holds players accountable while they’re under contract. It’s how the kings were able to get out of the Richards contract.
Interesting, it seems like the lines are blurry in terms of what kind of conduct could be cause for breach, teams could say in our opinion Bobby Ryan’s conduct was in appropriate when he went out drinking with his buddies and use that as an excuse to get out of his contract.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Hmmmm

I had a conversation with a few buddies of mine the other day online. I played sports at a decently high level, and I am still a competitive powerlifter, and I have heard worse than what he said NUMEROUS times, hundreds of times probably.

I get that times have changed and you have to be far more careful what you say, but if anybody thinks guys and athletes especially don't talk like this often, they are out to lunch.

My wife says she and her friends growing up talked about getting laid all the time, or talked about other girls all the time etc.

Again not saying he is right or that the team didn't do the proper thing, but this is not something that rarely happens.

Also, does McDavid get kicked out for this? would everyone be ok with that happening?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If he said it in public then yes that standard could be applied I guess. Those conversations were never supposed to see the light of day.
Doesn’t matter... it did see the light of day.
If you put any thought or comment like this down in print or on video, you deserve to get what you get because you’re a dumbass. It’s 2020, not 1800... hackers exist.
If you don’t want something to bite you in the ass, don’t say it.
All the Neanderthals who can’t grasp the change in societal norms and refuse to accept that it’s the way the world is are just showing themselves for who and what they are.
It’s basic decency, compassion, and intelligence... it’s not hard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad