Contract Termination: [WSH] Capitals terminate contract of Brendan Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Good riddance. In a sport where over the hill vets are paid for their good character it stands to reason this bum is done for his lack thereof.

The "boys will be boys" defences are genuinely scary though, it's just the climate we live in normalizing shitty behavior and anonymity of internet cruelty and trolling.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Do you know what's kinda sad? If Leipsic was an actually good NHL player, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and had to take PR courses, like Seguin did when he tweeted out "nothing but steers and queers in Texas" after being traded to Dallas.

Not even remotely on the same level.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It’s absurd to think he’s banned from hockey for being a mean spirited asshole on the internet. He will get a PTO and if he earns a contract, he will get a contract.
You think so? He's 25, playing 4th line minutes and broke 20 points once. He had 3 goals last season. That is what he could do without distractions.

Guys like him are a dime a dozen. Why not just grad some without the baggage.

You think he's worth the headache for some team?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
wish they had just paid him out after sending him home... I cant possibly support someone being fired for freedom of speech issues.

if I know him im advising him to take this to court now... its a fight that needs to be fought.

hate if he becomes a poster child for freedom of speech since he seems to be a total douchbag… but if he gets fired for some drug talk and making fun of peoples appearance or whatever... then god help the rest of us.

hope to hell no player I ever care about does anything remotely close to this... I never cared about this guy at all. dont care about him now either. but I do care about freedom of speech

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
wish they had just paid him out after sending him home... I cant possibly support someone being fired for freedom of speech issues.

if I know him im advising him to take this to court now... its a fight that needs to be fought.

hate if he becomes a poster child for freedom of speech since he seems to be a total douchbag… but if he gets fired for some drug talk and making fun of peoples appearance or whatever... then god help the rest of us.

hope to hell no player I ever care about does anything remotely close to this... I never cared about this guy at all. dont care about him now either. but I do care about freedom of speech
He’d lose this fight. There are clauses in player contracts about conduct and negative PR for the team.
His comments, regardless of how they were attained or distributed, violate those clauses and thus put him in breach.
If he has any brains whatsoever, he will publicly apologize for his comments, (not copy and paste a tweet from his agent), then he will shut his big yap, find a dark corner, and hide there for a few months while the whole thing dies down.
Then try to return to professional hockey by playing in Europe and working to get back into the NHL.

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he was an rfa at the end of the year, already got paid for his season, and probably wasn't gonna be re-signed in the first place.

hf shouldn't be gloating over this.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Do you know what's kinda sad? If Leipsic was an actually good NHL player, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist and had to take PR courses, like Seguin did when he tweeted out "nothing but steers and queers in Texas" after being traded to Dallas.

It's completely true.

McDavid wouldn't be going anywhere if someone of his caliber did it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I doubt it. You can get away with that stuff in Football and Basketball, but not usually in hockey.
I don’t think this would have even been a big deal if there was other sports news in the headlines right now. This happened during a media famine. What he did was bad. His timing was worse.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Nobody will remember this in two months. I mean die-hard hockey message board types will. But normal people won’t.
Eh, maybe, but every article about him getting a PTO will begin with 'Leipsic's contract was terminated due to misogynistic comments made' and he's probably not worth that.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
5 teams in 5 years tells you all about him.

In his case, absolutely since this came out. But, when you are a fringe or bottom role player, it's not super uncommon to move around a lot. Plenty of journeymen are well liked by their teammates.

Basically, guys like a Mike Sillinger, who never finds that next level and is often a gap fill or playoff rental.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I don’t think this would have even been a big deal if there was other sports news in the headlines right now. This happened during a media famine. What he did was bad. His timing was worse.

it may have. But I agree, he picked a bad time to show how much of a dbag he is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It’s absurd to think he’s banned from hockey for being a mean spirited asshole on the internet. He will get a PTO and if he earns a contract, he will get a contract.
I don't know if he'll get a PTO. I suspect he has to go to Europe.

He was a borderline NHLer playing less than 10 minutes a night. With no real special teams ice time.

Not worth the headache

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Completely ridiculous but then again he's a 4th line guy at best so he's easily disposable, would the caps let Ovie or Backstrom go if they did the same

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Completely ridiculous but then again he's a 4th line guy at best so he's easily disposable, would the caps let Ovie or Backstrom go if they did the same

Well of course not. Who’s easier to replace some scrub 4th liner or multiple Rocket Richard winner?

what kind of question is that?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It is very possible that the Caps know this and don't care. They are doing what's best for their image and if they end up having to pay the guy the remainder so be it.

If he is taking it to court is it even something he wants settled now? Would he not want to get some of the money due to the playoff teams? It's not a lot, but when you are only making 700k and extra 50k or 100k is quite a bit still. Especially considering that's what he's probably going to be making in a year now if he goes to the KHL

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad