Would it be a failure if your team lost in the first round of the playoffs?

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Yes it would be a failure. And yes it's quite possible.
If they play the leafs it is !

Two of Dallas Colorado Winnipeg will play each other first round. A first round loss for all three these teams would be a failure. It will happen

Edmonton - yes

Las Vegas - yes, but acceptable cup hangover. Double butt... yes because their TDL/cap circumvension would be for nothing

Vancouver - yes because of their place in the standings, but playoffs were not really a thought for a lot of fans to start the season, so definitely a mixed feeling

Los Angeles - no

Nashville - no, but maybe a letdown considering the tear theyre on

_____

Florida and Toronto hell yes, and theres a chance they play eachother

Boston, yes, similar to Vancouver some mixture there as theyre at the top of the standings but many consider them a pretender more than a pretender

Rangers - yes

Carolina - yes

Philadelphia - no

Tampa Bay - no

Detroit/Washington/Islanders - no
I love your analysis and think you are right about all but Florida. Does their fanbase really care??

Reactions: M2Beezy

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Eh not really unless it was a leaf style collapse in 2013, it's our first time in the playoffs infront of fans in 9 years and first time with this core, and the way I'd put it the Canucks are a bit of a wild card if they find their momentum they could go all the way but it would also wouldn't shock me to get bounced in the first round by Vegas.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Depends who they play, and how they play. Losing to Vegas in 7 would be a lot easier to stomach than getting swept by Nashville or something.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Yes, for any team, unless you get more respect in the handshake line than you did your previous season

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
1000000041.jpg

Golden handshake respect trophy, exclusive.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
For the Rangers, a first round exit would absolutely be a failure. They bowed out in the first round last year, and are battling for the Presidents Trophy this year. Anything short of a Conference Final appearance would be a failure.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
For NYR, yes, It was a failure last year. It will be a failure this year. In no way is that insulting to the team you play against, but rather that expectations set by the season. If you analyze the team, you see a lot of holes and question marks when it comes to how playoffs will go and whether they're really contenders or not, but it's still a failure based on where they sit.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Watching Larkin, Seider, and Raymond in the playoffs this year would be huge for Detroit. They need to start playing meaningful games, idc if it's 4 games.

Going through this skid then turning around and making the playoffs would be good for all parties.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think anyone can win a first round, regardless of seeding/regular season performance. With that said, the Rangers only have so many more chances to make a run with their veteran forwards (Panarin, Krieder, Zibanejad, Trocheck) before needing to shake up the lineup. Plus, Shesterkin will become a lot more expensive at the end of next season when his contract expires and the Rangers may not be able to extend him without sacrificing some other parts of the team.

I think their window closes in the next year with Shesty's contract. So yes, I'll be disappointed with a second straight first round exit, because it would mean that the coach wasn't what held them back last year. It's a rotten core that never had it in them in the first place.

Anything short of the Conference Finals would be a disappointment.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
If there is a fan base that desrves a playoff series it is the Sabres
I hope they can somehow get in.
Ehh, we can always look back to the good times. We made the cup finals in 1999 until the NHL just kinda forgot the skate in the crease rule. We had great ownership back then - the Rigas family was flush with embezzled funds, but sadly even their ill gotten gains couldn't pay Mike Peca. This disenchanted the best player the franchise has ever seen in Dominik Hasek, who negotiated his way to the Red Wings, demanding that they didn't give up anything of value in return. Then we had success in 2005-2007. Our playoff hopes in 2005-2006 were stopped by a rash of defensive injuries, career altering concussions, and a Staph Infection. Next year, they won the President's Trophy - fans celebrated by watching our top 2 forwards in Chris Drury and Daniel Briere signing elsewhere. Thankfully the Edmonton Oilers saddled us with a 7x7 contract for Thomas Vanek!

What a relief when new ownership came in 2011. A couple who ravaged the earth in Pennsylvania to get their 7B in worth, and now run a solid budget operation out of their long forgotten vanity project. High School musical productions have more support staff than our front office. Our one pro scout is quite busy. The arena is in great shape too. Want a seat? Many aren't bolted down any more, just grab one and go!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheDeuce and Lshap

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I have heard the Dallas Stars and other teams budgets for at least one round of playoffs when they figure spending out. So, first round is break even, and other rounds really make money for the team. Which is good for me, because it reduces ticket price increases, at least more than they would have gone up had we gone to the finals.

Seriously, after spending $9000 on season tickets, and knowing I would spend at least that for four rounds of playoffs, part of me hopes they don't go deep in the playoffs. Most of me hope for the best, though.

• Haha
Reactions: johnnyonthspot

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It's a failure if you're trying to win the cup, but you also have to think that half the league don't even play in the playoffs, so making the playoffs can be a good season.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
From an AVS-standpoint: BIG FAILURE!

This year, compared to last year, we loaded up at the TDL (and so far all trades our GM made seem to work).

So the goal is the cup or at least WC-Final. Although the west seems to become a bloodbath this season.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
This year's WC will be a bloodbath. There are multiple teams that will consider a first round loss to be catastrophic.

Colorado loaded up and with their talent and lack of deep runs. They are perceived to have a true contender team as they just won in 2022 so a first round exit is very bad.

Los Angeles has made a lot of moves, sacrificing a lot of assets and signing multiple bigger deals and lost twice in a row already, in the first round, to Edmonton. FO gets cleared out if they lose in the first round.

Edmonton having the two best offensive players and losing twice in the second round the last two years, losing in the first round would be extremely damaging both to the front office and the key players on the team.

Vegas is the most loaded up of all of the teams. If they lost in the first round, that would be nuts.

Vancouver is having the most successful regular season in a long time. Likely they will lose early as that's fairly normal for teams with new found regular season success to falter in the playoffs. Hopefully they keep it together and not burn any villages down.

A few other teams like Dallas and St. Louis will be in the mix but not under super-high pressure. I think of all the teams who are playing well but are somewhat low pressure is Winnipeg. They could have the same issue as the Canucks or they could go the other way too.

If this iteration of the Hawks made the playoffs, I'd be gobsmackingly happy even if we got easily swept.

Better to tank I think. Bedard needs A LOT of help.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00