Would it be a failure if your team lost in the first round of the playoffs?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Depends. Both Dallas and Colorado are really good. If the Jets finish first in the central and lose in the Wildcard round against a team that barely cracked 90 points in the regular season? Yeah, I'd consider that a failure.

Reactions: TheDeuce

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It’s always gonna be disappointing for the leafs. I will say though, this is the least expectations I’ve had for them since Matthews rookie playoff season.

I came on here to shit talk some leafs fans ands I crickets except two sad dudes who already have accepted what's coming.

It's almost sad how that team has broken their fanbases belief....and by almost sad I mean bloody marvellous!

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
Yes. Losing to Boston in the final or Edmonton in the conference final is acceptable. Even losing to Dallas in Conference semi in 6 or 7 would still be okay. Losing in the first round 2 years in a row is a massive failure.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if the Wings make the Playoffs at all it'll be as the 8 seed

difficult to call an 8 seed losing to a 1 seed a failure

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I would hate to see you guys lose to Vegas but all a fan can ask for is a hard faught series

Yeah, but what are you gonna do, there's arguably 7 contenders in the west and the 8th team is playing out of their minds right now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The way the NHL does the standings it’s difficult to consider a round one loss a failure. If you watched the Leafs and Canes last night, you wouldn’t be shocked if both lost their first round series, nor would it be a failure based on points earned in the regular season.

The NHL is garbage right now and is unwatchable on most nights. So almost anyone could make the SCF.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Based on possible matchups, assuming the season ended today, the Oilers seem to have a pretty easy path to the Conference Finals.
If McDavid suffers a wrist injury or something similar then it’s not so easy. Like every other team they have 6+ useless, do nothing, players that would make terrific figure skaters because they won’t hit and cant make a hockey play, but they all have great edge work.

Reactions: chris kontos

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Jets need to make it to the 2nd round at the very least. They are a quiet contender this year under Bowness.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
It would be an objective failure if the kings made the playoffs.
But we'll make it, get 1st round swept and hand out participation awards to everyone with big participation trophys to robitaille, blake and bergevin. Lots of press releases explaining how we were certainly right in the race and just barely missed.
In a sick way way it will be funny to listen to blakes and robitaille slimy excuse making.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It would be an objective failure if the kings made the playoffs.
But we'll make it, get 1st round swept and hand out participation awards to everyone with big participation trophys to robitaille, blake and bergevin. Lots of press releases explaining how we were certainly right in the race and just barely missed.
In a sick way way it will be funny to listen to blakes and robitaille slimy excuse making.

Man, what happened? Heck of a start to the season, what changed? Puck luck, or did a system get exposed or somethin?

As a Sabres fan- playoffs!? Oh man, it’d be an honor and a privilege!

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
The last time the Hawks made the playoffs when they weren’t supposed to it was because of the pandemic. If they make it this year, something unimaginably horrible would have to happen. So the answer is yes but I can’t describe the nature of this failure

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Man, what happened? Heck of a start to the season, what changed? Puck luck, or did a system get exposed or somethin?

As a Sabres fan- playoffs!? Oh man, it’d be an honor and a privilege!
They started fast due to the team spending sime preseason in austrailia so they were somewhat futher ahead of other teams conditioning and preperation wise. Then the aging journeymen goaltending got worn out. Also the quick trade showed vets that nobody was safe from trade
Team got sick of playing for todd maclellan. Fired macclellan.
We are not competative against playoff teams. We are in the black hole- mediocre quality, no cap space, few prospects few picks. Everybodys cashing checks and singing the cry of the all time loser- "wait'll next year"!

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Yeah, but what are you gonna do, there's arguably 7 contenders in the west and the 8th team is playing out of their minds right now.
I know I hope NSV is going to lose steam by playoffs. A canucks v Jets wcf would be great.

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
If the Flames get there and lose in the first round it would be a disappointment but not a failure .... being 6 points back of a playoff spot it's not looking good but it's still not too late to make a run .. I'm not counting them out yet ... GFG!!!

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Oilers:

Absolutely. It isn't "cup or bust", but playing only one or two rounds of hockey would certainly be viewed as a disappointment.
McDavid and Draisaitl are both in their prime. Ekholm, Nuge, Kane, and even Hyman are already on the back-half. The time to win is now.

I'm not an Oil fan, but I feel like anything less than the Cup Finals is a big disappointment, which is unfortunate, since this is the deepest the West has been in years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you’re not LA, Nashville, Philly or Detroit/NYI/Washington, the answer has to be yes.

Boston could also be a no considering their core is on their last legs and their monumental collapse last year

With the futures LA has traded away the past couple seasons, a third straight first round exit would absolutely be a failure. And I would expect Blake to be out.

Yes, it's absolutely a failure for LA.

They're capped out with no flexibility, out of youthful assets, with their entire rebuild just about hitting waiver eligibility if they're not gone entirely, and almost everyone on the roster is underperforming and on the wrong side of their primes--but they've been sold as 'this is the year' contender to justify all of these moves and the PLD trade was the absolute nail in the coffin. This will be the best year they have for the next 5 if not 10, and it's an absolute embarrassment.

Gonna lose to he Oilers for the third year in a row and hopefully it's just a godawfully embarassing sweep, outside of Drew Doughty there is not a single testicle on this roster over age 25 that's doing anything but preserving themselves so they're not injured for their summer vacations while they treat the kids like absolute dog shit. It's one of the worst run orgs in the league but they're somehow escaping criticism while being smug and believing they're the smartest guys in the room. They're making the 2010 Oilers front office look like a bunch of Einsteins with the humility of Gandhi.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
One of Colorado-Dallas-Winnipeg is losing in the first round in the west, and one of Boston-Florida-Toronto is losing in the East. So at least 2 teams will be considered failures for losing in the 1st round.

Reactions: EMcx2

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I came on here to shit talk some leafs fans ands I crickets except two sad dudes who already have accepted what's coming.

It's almost sad how that team has broken their fanbases belief....and by almost sad I mean bloody marvellous!
Cool guy alert lol

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Sabres fan here. No, after missing the playoffs for a lifetime we would probably throw a ****ing parade and raise a banner in October.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If you’re not LA, Nashville, Philly or Detroit/NYI/Washington, the answer has to be yes.

Boston could also be a no considering their core is on their last legs and their monumental collapse last year
What core is on their last legs?

1710710407046.png

Marchand is 35
Coyle is 31
Grz and Hampus are 30
Shattenkirk, JVR, are 1mil rentals for the season and most likely wont be back
Ullmark is 30 and most likely will be traded offseason for cap space to reload.
The other 17 players are all age to 19-28 (Poitras on LTIR is 19)

The core of the Bruins is 30 and below. Unless you mean one player named Brad Marchand IS their core alone?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Two of Dallas Colorado Winnipeg will play each other first round. A first round loss for all three these teams would be a failure. It will happen

Edmonton - yes

Las Vegas - yes, but acceptable cup hangover. Double butt... yes because their TDL/cap circumvension would be for nothing

Vancouver - yes because of their place in the standings, but playoffs were not really a thought for a lot of fans to start the season, so definitely a mixed feeling

Los Angeles - no

Nashville - no, but maybe a letdown considering the tear theyre on

_____

Florida and Toronto hell yes, and theres a chance they play eachother

Boston, yes, similar to Vancouver some mixture there as theyre at the top of the standings but many consider them a pretender more than a pretender

Rangers - yes

Carolina - yes

Philadelphia - no

Tampa Bay - no

Detroit/Washington/Islanders - no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad