Would it be a failure if your team lost in the first round of the playoffs?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I would take getting swept 4-0 and outscored 20-0 if it meant the Sabres played a playoff series before the draught graduated high school
I am honestly quite the opposite. If i knew my team was going to get beaten that badly in round one, i would rather just not make the playoffs then have to watch them get obliterated game after game.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
As an Oiler fan it’s a failure of catastrophic proportions. Losing in the second round is also a failure.
Agreed. If the team played well but lost against the Avs or even the Stars in the Conference Finals… or against almost any team in the finals… I would say; OK, fine. Anything else is failure.

The Oilers window is this year or next but with some of their poor cap management, Canadian teams being on most players NT lists, combined with a small market teams’ inability to attract/extend better UFAs for decent prices… a Stanley Cup victory is going to be a reach.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As an Oiler fan it’s a failure of catastrophic proportions. Losing in the second round is also a failure.
Based on possible matchups, assuming the season ended today, the Oilers seem to have a pretty easy path to the Conference Finals.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Agreed. If the team played well but lost against the Avs or even the Stars in the Conference Finals… or against almost any team in the finals… I would say; OK, fine. Anything else is failure.

The Oilers window is this year or next but with some of their poor cap management, Canadian teams being on most players NT lists, combined with a small market teams’ inability to attract/extend better UFAs for decent prices… a Stanley Cup victory is going to be a reach.
Based on this link...

I can't imagine the Oilers losing to the fading Kings.
I also see the Oilers taking out the Jets.

Can the Oilers beat the Avs with MacKinnon and Makar? That will be the test.

Reactions: G Backup and zar

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Based on this link...

I can't imagine the Oilers losing to the fading Kings.
I also see the Oilers taking out the Jets.

Can the Oilers beat the Avs with MacKinnon and Makar? That will be the test.
Don't believe that site is correct on the western brackets. The winner of the Oilers vs Kings would play against the winner of Vancouver vs a wildcard team.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Vancouver - it depends on how the games go.

Hard fought back and forth 7 game series with Vegas? Less so, upset by Nashville? Yes
I would hate to see you guys lose to Vegas but all a fan can ask for is a hard faught series

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It’s always gonna be disappointing for the leafs. I will say though, this is the least expectations I’ve had for them since Matthews rookie playoff season.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Yep. That's the reason to why the NHL absolutely should go back to 1-8 playoff format. The great teams of the era should play against each other year after year in the later rounds like the late 90s/early 00s Stars, Avalanche, Red Wings and Blues.
They should go to a 1-32 playoff format.

Expand the playoffs by a round. Create greater playoff revenue. Give every team the opportunity for greatness and expose the playoff frauds as the pretenders they are.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If you’re not LA, Nashville, Philly or Detroit/NYI/Washington, the answer has to be yes.

Boston could also be a no considering their core is on their last legs and their monumental collapse last year

I don't why people keep saying Boston's core is on its last legs.

The only old they have left is Marchand. Everyone else from the last core is already gone.

But, yes, they need to win a round because of last year.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If you’re not LA, Nashville, Philly or Detroit/NYI/Washington, the answer has to be yes.

Boston could also be a no considering their core is on their last legs and their monumental collapse last year
as a devils fans it would be no
making the po would be great

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm an Edmonton fan. For us, anything less than a cup final is failure. I am prepared for that failure though, the West is so competitive this year, with Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg and Vancouver all terrifying to face, Nashville will be scary if they keep up their current momentum, and you can't ignore the cup champions, if they hold on to their spot. It's a tight year in the West.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
No, it would require a miraculous run for the Flames to even make the playoffs, that we would all be talking about for years

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Oilers:

Absolutely. It isn't "cup or bust", but playing only one or two rounds of hockey would certainly be viewed as a disappointment.
McDavid and Draisaitl are both in their prime. Ekholm, Nuge, Kane, and even Hyman are already on the back-half. The time to win is now.

Reactions: dalewood12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad