Around the NHL - (Playoffs Edition)

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Is Matthews really missing perhaps the most important period of their playoffs because he had food poisoning three or four days ago? Jeez....

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If the Leafs do end up losing the series, I wonder if they are even able to “shake up” the roster. Matthews and Nylander are signed long term now so they aren’t going anywhere. Marner and Tavares have NMCs and their contracts are buyout-proof. They likely have to run it back again next year. They will have to spend some money on dmen and maybe a goalie.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If the Leafs do end up losing the series, I wonder if they are even able to “shake up” the roster. Matthews and Nylander are signed long term now so they aren’t going anywhere. Marner and Tavares have NMCs and their contracts are buyout-proof. They likely have to run it back again next year. They will have to spend some money on dmen and maybe a goalie.
Well, if they really had some balls, they’d try and convince Marner to waive the NMC for an extension somewhere he likes. If that doesn’t work then they just have to bite the bullet and keep him as an own rental and then let him walk. It would be insane to sign him at $12M+ and really box themselves in for the next 4 years of Matthews’ contract.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
So when do we get to start making terrible trade proposals for Toronto's elite players? Or do we not want them because they're "playoff chokers"?

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
So when do we get to start making terrible trade proposals for Toronto's elite players? Or do we not want them because they're "playoff chokers"?
I could see Verbeek calling on Marner. Elite RW. We’re one of the few teams that has the assets, the cap space, and an exact need.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

They are going to have to try and ship out any big contracts they can and get a goalie at the bare minimum.

Damn. I thought the Leafs had a chance but they look cooked

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I could see Verbeek calling on Marner. Elite RW. We’re one of the few teams that has the assets, the cap space, and an exact need.
His playstyle isn’t what we need. Another guy who doesn’t shoot the puck. And I don’t see why he’d waive his NMC to come here. His trade value is really hard to decipher, too.

Reactions: Kalv

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
His playstyle isn’t what we need. Another guy who doesn’t shoot the puck. And I don’t see why he’d waive his NMC to come here. His trade value is really hard to decipher, too.
I agree with all that, but still think it’s something Verbeek would consider. As long as we put him with a shooter it’s not a problem, just keep him away from Leo and Z. He’s a solid two-way guy good for 90 points in the regular season. Regardless of play style I think that’s someone you kick tires on.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Matthews looks like this generation’s Joe Thornton. Silent outside of one game.

He is not abjectly awful in the playoffs but plays nowhere near his regular season pace. Can’t really create for himself either, relies a ton on Marner who gets stifled himself in the playoffs.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
No thanks. For that kind of money (not to mention the assets to acquire) I want to see playoff results and some serious leadership. Marner has neither.
Yeah I’m not saying I’m fully on board, but wouldn’t be surprised to hear some rumors Verbeek is asking. He could be like countless guys who leave Toronto and are much better off.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Vegas are so lucky it's unreal, could easily be down by 4 or 5 goals instead it's 2-2.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah I’m not saying I’m fully on board, but wouldn’t be surprised to hear some rumors Verbeek is asking. He could be like countless guys who leave Toronto and are much better off.
He’s way too costly to hope he figures it out here. And besides, then what are we going to have to pay whichever of our young guys really put it together? Verbeek would have to be insane to go down that road. He’s been a whining wuss his whole time in Toronto. No thanks.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad