Player Discussion With how many goals will Jake Virtanen end the 2018-19 season?

How many goals will Jake Virtanen score in 2018-19

• Total voters

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
That was junior. Like I said, you see it in EA Sports, but not in the NHL apart from the few exceptions to the rule.
Mainly because its really really really really hard.

The point stands that he had success there in junior, so it stands within reason that he should be tried there again at some point. He made (marginally) smarter plays, cut to the middle better, and had an easier time of finding angles for better shots.

It's kind of like Pettersson playing on the RW despite being left handed. Just works better for him.

Reactions: Doyle Hargraves

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Thanks for the insider info I just started watching hockey.

Many players have and continue to play the off wing or both sides over the years. The guys that usually do it have elite speed, you know, like Virtanen has. Alex Mogilny and Pavel Bure both spent lots of time on either wing

I don't know what you do and don't know about hockey. You talk about your self in the 3rd person, all bets are off.

Interesting comparisons. Never thought about how much like Bure and Mogilny JV is.

The point stands that he had success there in junior, so it stands within reason that he should be tried there again at some point. He made (marginally) smarter plays, cut to the middle better, and had an easier time of finding angles for better shots.

It's kind of like Pettersson playing on the RW despite being left handed. Just works better for him.

Its better in the o-zone yes. Its worse in the D zone and when transitioning out of the D zone.

Bigger euro ice isn't so unforgiving in this regard. Also Pettersson has elite IQ. It helps.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
I don't know what you do and don't know about hockey. You talk about your self in the 3rd person, all bets are off.

Interesting comparisons. Never thought about how much like Bure and Mogilny JV is.

Its better in the o-zone yes. Its worse in the D zone and when transitioning out of the D zone.

Bigger euro ice isn't so unforgiving in this regard. Also Pettersson has elite IQ. It helps.

Hargraves thought the EA Sports comment was weak and condescending. Anyways lots of players over the years have played both sides effectively. Just going off the top of my head in this town, the Courtnall brothers and Petri Skriko also did.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hargraves thought the EA Sports comment was weak and condescending. Anyways lots of players over the years have played both sides effectively. Just going off the top of my head in this town, the Courtnall brothers and Petri Skriko also did.

Notice any commonalities shared by your examples?
How they all played in the 90s...?

Also... Offwing play is usually reserved for offensive talents. Not a grinder like JV. Players where the downsides are offset by the offensive upside.

I will help you out a bit. More recent examples of players playing their offwing: Martin St.Louis, Alex Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk and David Booth.

One of them has a comparable skill set to JV.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.

Don't think the D zone would be of too much issue for Jake as opposed to him on the RW. And we should be in a position to allow players to go through growing pains regardless. He's had success there before, I don't see the harm in atleast trying him there again.

We should be trying to get the most growth out of our players as possible. With the absence of D. Sedin, there are positions open for LW. Why should we limit a player (no matter who they are) merely because right handed shots are usually stuck to the RW, when that player had previous success on his off wing ?

Maybe it doesn't work, but we should atleast try it at some point. It's not like it should affect the team or the hindering of another player (our LW depth is pitiful).

Reactions: Doyle Hargraves

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don't think the D zone would be of too much issue for Jake as opposed to him on the RW. And we should be in a position to allow players to go through growing pains regardless. He's had success there before, I don't see the harm in atleast trying him there again.

We should be trying to get the most growth out of our players as possible. With the absence of D. Sedin, there are positions open for LW. Why should we limit a player (no matter who they are) merely because right handed shots are usually stuck to the RW, when that player had previous success on his off wing ?

Maybe it doesn't work, but we should atleast try it at some point. It's not like it should affect the team or the hindering of another player (our LW depth is pitiful).

Oh might as well try him for sure.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Again... Its a bad case of: "This is my opinnion -> Now I go find data to support it" when it should be the other way around.

If you can't immediately think of any players who have played since they removed the two-line pass, you're probably not supporting your argument.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The real question is what should Jake Virtanen's contract look like?

I would be thrilled with a long term 5-6 year extension at 3-4 million per year but he and his agent will want a short term at around 2-3 million at 1-2 years.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
There's no way I commit term, nevermind term with 3-4m aav to Jake just yet. I think the Baertschi bridge is on the higher side of things to expect for Jake's next contract.

Reactions: Pavel96

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

I would be thrilled with a long term 5-6 year extension at 3-4 million per year but he and his agent will want a short term at around 2-3 million at 1-2 years.

LMAO. What in the worlds @#%^ has JV done to deserve a 6 year contract at 4M per year??? His sheer numbers put him with the same amount of points as

Jan Rutta 2.3M
Dylan DeMelo 650k
Scott Laughton 962K

Anything over 2.5M is a huge overpayment.

Reactions: Pavel96

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
LMAO. What in the worlds @#%^ has JV done to deserve a 6 year contract at 4M per year??? His sheer numbers put him with the same amount of points as

Jan Rutta 2.3M
Dylan DeMelo 650k
Scott Laughton 962K

Anything over 2.5M is a huge overpayment.

When Jake scores 20 plus next season, and is a devastating heavy body player, how much does he get on that coming contract? 4x6 will be a steal for Jake.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

i'm pretty sure jake and his agent would be thrilled with that offer at this point.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
When Jake scores 20 plus next season, and is a devastating heavy body player, how much does he get on that coming contract? 4x6 will be a steal for Jake.

He will have a hard time scoring 20 even with top 6 ice time. 3rd line is pretty much impossible. He will playing behind Boeser and Pettersson. All the offensive mins on the RW will be given to those two.

Since 92/93 I think Kesler and D Sedin is the only two players to score 20 goals on the 3rd line for this team. That was 2007/2008 season for Kesler and 2000/2001 season for D sedin. So two 3rd line 20 goal scorers in the last 25 years.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He will have a hard time scoring 20 even with top 6 ice time. 3rd line is pretty much impossible. He will playing behind Boeser and Pettersson. All the offensive mins on the RW will be given to those two.

Since 92/93 I think Kesler and D Sedin is the only two players to score 20 goals on the 3rd line for this team. That was 2007/2008 season for Kesler and 2000/2001 season for D sedin. So two 3rd line 20 goal scorers in the last 25 years.
Could always try to switch him to LW to move him up in the lineup. Id rather cheer for him in the top 6 than Granlund if injuries happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad