Player Discussion With how many goals will Jake Virtanen end the 2018-19 season?

How many goals will Jake Virtanen score in 2018-19

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If he continues to play the way he did the last 6 weeks of the season, I think he can score around 14 goals and 17 assists.

11 point increase, realistic and not out of hand.

He needs to stop burning his teams scoring chances by consistently going down the wing and making shots on goal at bad angles. I'm sure this is something the team will work on and tell him about.

strategy for him is again, using his speed to burn players, and taking advantage of others turn overs and scoring off rushes ideal 3rd line push player.

If he's truly going to be on the same line with Gaudette on most nights, he can easily hit 17 assists due to having an offensive player like Gaudette on his line, will truly help.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I voted 16-19. I think Virtanen is going to continue to improve. My second guess would be 20+

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I voted 16-19. I think Virtanen is going to continue to improve. My second guess would be 20+

Continue to improve? He had 6 points in his first 20 games this year, and 5 in his final 20. This whole BS narrative that he improved down the stretch is pure fiction. He didn’t improve much at all this year compared to previous years. His numbers have flatlined really.

Reactions: Canucks1096

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Continue to improve? He had 6 points in his first 20 games this year, and 5 in his final 20. This whole BS narrative that he improved down the stretch is pure fiction. He didn’t improve much at all this year compared to previous years. His numbers have flatlined really.
This is the part where we encourage you watch the games you admittedly don't watch.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
In his two NHL seasons where he's played 50+ games, he's converted on 7.4% and 7.7% of his shots.

In both of those seasons he generated at about a 140 shot pace of 82 games in about 11-12 minutes a game. If he were to get an increased opportunity and put up about 180-190 shots, if he converts at his career average, that would put him at about 12-13 goals.

Let's pump the brakes on him pushing 20 or even 20+.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Last year Virtanen had 130 shots and a shooting percentage of 7.7%. If I counted correctly, Jake had 40 shots over his last 20 and scored 3 goals (7.5%). If he can carry that over to next season and get a small uptick up 8%, he'll score 13 goals no problem.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’m pretty happy to hear that he’s working with a skills coach, his puck handling skills are really holding him back. He relies almost solely on his speed/power to generate offense.

He’ll have a 1-on-1 with a dman as he flies past the neutral zone and then he’ll just try the same move where he chips the puck past them and tries to beat the dman to the puck. If he can develop 1 or 2 moves like the Horvat toe drag then suddenly he has a couple of options and can choose what to do based on how the dman is playing him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ya, if there is a positive to take away from this it’s that he’s working primarily on his actual skills rather than his fitness this summer. If he does take a step ahead this will be a major reason why.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
His numbers haven't improved, but you'd be crazy to think his overall play hasn't, considering how completely lost and abysmal he looked in every area of the ice early on (an outright liability most of the time, IMO). He's actually somewhat competent defensively now, pushes the balance of play to the right end of the ice, and is at least one of our stronger forecheckers. It's not enough that he's anything close to back on track or anything, but it would simply be not giving enough credit to just how terrible he was early on not to acknowledge this.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In his two NHL seasons where he's played 50+ games, he's converted on 7.4% and 7.7% of his shots.

In both of those seasons he generated at about a 140 shot pace of 82 games in about 11-12 minutes a game. If he were to get an increased opportunity and put up about 180-190 shots, if he converts at his career average, that would put him at about 12-13 goals.

If he puts up 190 shots at the same shooting percentage as last season he would have just short of 15 goals if my math is correct. If he raises his shooting percentage just by a little bit and the math is different and his projected goal totals would be in the range of the 16-19 goals that I voted for.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If he puts up 190 shots at the same shooting percentage as last season he would have just short of 15 goals if my math is correct. If he raises his shooting percentage just by a little bit and the math is different and his projected goal totals would be in the range of the 16-19 goals that I voted for.

Nobody on the Canucks recorded 190 shots this past year. That would have him ~100th among all skaters in the league.

You're expecting him to generate shots at ~1.3x the rate he did this season while also significantly improving his shooting percentage? I'm not saying this is impossible, but this is your expectation?

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Mind you,
A- you are excluding a whole summer of development in the process and assuming status quo with the exception of ice time.... (ridiculous- considering we are talking about a 21 yr old going into his 22 yr old season.. )
B-7.5% of 180 shots=14 goals... so above your seemingly random 12-13g range.

No need to pump the brakes at this point on a 20g potential... No Sedins = opportunity... training/development. Maybe after July 1st if we sign a bunch of vets... otherwise............ No.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Nobody on the Canucks recorded 190 shots this past year. That would have him ~100th among all skaters in the league.

You're expecting him to generate shots at ~1.3x the rate he did this season while also significantly improving his shooting percentage? I'm not saying this is impossible, but this is your expectation?
We did have 2 on pace for 200.

Brock n Bo..
Edler was close iirc

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Learn to read. I used 190 shots because the poster I replied to use that figure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad