Player Discussion With how many goals will Jake Virtanen end the 2018-19 season?

How many goals will Jake Virtanen score in 2018-19

• Total voters

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
8-12 seems about right. For a 6th overall pick he isn't very good.

Obviously he's a garbage pick, but that's not really the thread topic!!

The top-6 ship has most definitely sailed on Jake's career. Actually, the ship never made it out of dry dock. I voted 8-12 goals. He's at 17 in 140 career NHL games, and so ~10 goals seems to be around where he'll peak as an NHL player. His goal for this season should be to work his way into the penalty kill rotation and try to mold his game to fit a bottom-6 role. He has a good chance to succeed on those terms. I think Green already envisions him as that type of player from how he handled him last year.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Look forward to.. "well ANY player can get 20 when gifted minutes that Jake was" story.

isn't that EXACTLY what happened with Granlund though, Taylor Pyatt? Bernier? We have lots of examples of this in our history.

Not saying thats gonna happen with Jake, but this sort of thing 100% happens.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don’t know why so many seem to think that he’ll be gifted a better opportunity next season, he didn’t play at a high level consistently enough to warrant frequently playing in the highe teens of ice time. He could very easily receive similar usage to what he saw last season.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I don’t know why so many seem to think that he’ll be gifted a better opportunity next season, he didn’t play at a high level consistently enough to warrant frequently playing in the highe teens of ice time. He could very easily receive similar usage to what he saw last season.
Consistency is definitely his problem but he did play very well in some games. I think he’ll have a bigger opportunity this coming season because of a couple of pretty large subtractions from the forward group. To me, he’ll continue to mature and consistency will come along with that. He’ll be counted on to help fill the void the Sedins left and I’m optimistic he will take that on and understand what’s required of him.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
He was at 75gms, 11:59/gm, 130 shots, 7.7%, 10 goals last yr...

I expect his opportunity and ice to go way up, and with him building on his physicality, conditioning and experience... I also expect increased usage on the PP, 4on4, 3on3, and I'm hoping he finally gets a shot on the PK.
I wanna see him hit 20.

Lots of room to grow for him.

He's too dumb to ever come close to being a 20 goal scorer.

Out of his 20 points last year 10 of them the sedins/horvat were involved in. 1 was an empty net goal. I don't see him getting the opportunity to play with offensive players as good as sedins/horvat next year. He'll finish with around the same totals as this year and all the benning lovers will proclaim how he's just about to turn his game around next year

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks1096

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
20 plus goals for sure. Plus, he will play 15 plus minutes per game, and be an integral part in our making the playoffs.

Feb 19, 2018
Working with Pavel Barber this year on his hands. Pending on his conditioning we will see. Got a new boat this summer! Cross our fingers

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He's too dumb to ever come close to being a 20 goal scorer.

Out of his 20 points last year 10 of them the sedins/horvat were involved in. 1 was an empty net goal. I don't see him getting the opportunity to play with offensive players as good as sedins/horvat next year. He'll finish with around the same totals as this year and all the benning lovers will proclaim how he's just about to turn his game around next year

maybe. but i don't think anyone made bold positive predictions about virtanen at the end of last year though. you have to concede he made progress over the year.

i am going out on a limb based on the fact he was considered an 8 minute a night write off at the beginning of the year, and a regular by the end, looking dangerous and getting multiple scoring chances per game. he made huge steady progress without being rewarded on the scoresheet. if he makes more progress, i think he'll be a 20 goal scorer.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Guessing 10, 11 goals. I think Benning will sign some more nondescript vets who will them of course get prime deployment because "you don't pay vets to sit on the bench or in the press box". Virtanen will be lucky to see the same icetime. He's probably due to get injured as well. Our luck.

Look forward to.. "well ANY player can get 20 when gifted minutes that Jake was" story.
Well hey, you sure nailed Granlund's development. We all look forward to your usual disappearance from mid-November to April.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Guessing 10, 11 goals. I think Benning will sign some more nondescript vets who will them of course get prime deployment because "you don't pay vets to sit on the bench or in the press box". Virtanen will be lucky to see the same icetime. He's probably due to get injured as well. Our luck.

Well hey, you sure nailed Granlund's development. We all look forward to your usual disappearance from mid-November to April.

Just depends on how cesspooly this place gets... kills the entertainment value as it rises.
Canucks are a source of entertainment.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I've never seen someone so consistently wrong who keeps acting so smug about his predictions.

Reactions: Nick Lang

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just depends on how cesspooly this place gets... kills the entertainment value as it rises.
Canucks are a source of entertainment.

How “cesspooly” this place gets tends to be a function of how brutal the Canucks are. Feels like it went downhill sometime around 2015 ...

Reactions: Literally

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

If you are missing me or feel you want me respond to something im not around for, just have to tag or quote me.

I'm still on the site.. just don't read or participate much of the cesspooly threads.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
isn't that EXACTLY what happened with Granlund though, Taylor Pyatt? Bernier? We have lots of examples of this in our history.

Not saying thats gonna happen with Jake, but this sort of thing 100% happens.

Point is no one is predicting it will happen... but will be ready to dismiss a 20g achievement it if does for that reason.

Hell... I predict he'll hit 20 partially for those reasons.

Everyone know's hes getting 15 mins/gm but still predicting 12-14 goals.

Maybe people should state their expectation for ice as well.. since we know a dismissal of achievement is set to occur from the same people if he hits 20..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad