Player Discussion With how many goals will Jake Virtanen end the 2018-19 season?

How many goals will Jake Virtanen score in 2018-19

• Total voters

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
If Jake plays 1.3x as many minutes as last year, it seems fairly realistic he would have 1.3x as many shots.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
In his two NHL seasons where he's played 50+ games, he's converted on 7.4% and 7.7% of his shots.

In both of those seasons he generated at about a 140 shot pace of 82 games in about 11-12 minutes a game. If he were to get an increased opportunity and put up about 180-190 shots, if he converts at his career average, that would put him at about 12-13 goals.

Let's pump the brakes on him pushing 20 or even 20+.

In the first of those seasons, he should have been playing in the whl. I'm personally completely discounting that season as having any meaning whatsoever. Kind of like Nino N's, 1 goal season with the Isles: completely meaningless. Just because there are coaches and management groups in the NHL that are morons, that doesn't reflect on the player imo.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Jake plays 1.3x as many minutes as last year, it seems fairly realistic he would have 1.3x as many shots.

What you are saying make sense however a lot times it doesn't work like that. Last 20 games he played around 1.3x more and his ppg didn't go up. It was around the same.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Learn to read. I used 190 shots because the poster I replied to use that figure.

So you don’t expect him to reach the shot totals that he’d need to score the number of goals you expect him to score?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’m going to say 34 points, 13 goals. I’ll consider that a successful season and hope for a further offensive break out in the following season.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Pettersson is signed so that means Virtanen will be on 3rd and 4th line the whole season. I voted 8 to 12 goals.

People that voted over 16 goals. Pretty hard to get at least 16 goals on the 3rd line. Since the lockout I think there only been three Canucks that actually got more than 16 goals playing on the bottom two lines for most of the year. Kesler 2008 on the 3rd line with 21 goals. Matthias 2015 on the 3rd line with 18 goals. Hansen 2015 on 4th line with 16 goals.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I voted 16-19 goals, but he's going to need some pp time for that to happen....and he's going to need a creative center to play with....if he's tethered to Sutter again for any length of time, the projections sink.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
I’d like to see him play the left side for an extended period with Boeser and Horvat. Have him kill penalties as well and utilize his speed. The kid is good defensively and good in puck battles. Utilize his tools and throw him in the deep end. I think the line would be excellent together.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I’d like to see him play the left side for an extended period with Boeser and Horvat. Have him kill penalties as well and utilize his speed. The kid is good defensively and good in puck battles. Utilize his tools and throw him in the deep end. I think the line would be excellent together.

Very few players can pull off playing the off wing in today's league.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Very few players can pull off playing the off wing in today's league.
He played there in junior when he scored 46 goals. I think (I hope) that Green is getting him up to speed on the right side defensively first. With Petterson and Boeser ahead of him on that side, why not see if he can cut it on the left side?

Reactions: Nick Lang

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He played there in junior when he scored 46 goals. I think (I hope) that Green is getting him up to speed on the right side defensively first. With Petterson and Boeser ahead of him on that side, why not see if he can cut it on the left side?

That was junior. Like I said, you see it in EA Sports, but not in the NHL apart from the few exceptions to the rule.
Mainly because its really really really really hard.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
That was junior. Like I said, you see it in EA Sports, but not in the NHL apart from the few exceptions to the rule.
Mainly because its really really really really hard.
Thanks for the insider info I just started watching hockey.

Many players have and continue to play the off wing or both sides over the years. The guys that usually do it have elite speed, you know, like Virtanen has. Alex Mogilny and Pavel Bure both spent lots of time on either wing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->