Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some after thoughts. Looks like Costanzo is starting to find his grove. Played much better as of late and the coaches are giving him more starts. Likely Donoso tonight and then back to Joey tomorrow.
Also like what I've seen from Morneau since the trade deadline. Not going to score 50 goals but now that he is with Spellacy and Smith he is giving other teams fits trying to counter that speed and forecheck.
It's a foregone conclusion for me on next years OA's. Abraham, Smith and Morneau. Barring any trades or school decisions that will be the 3 OA's.

Smith on the other hand was not good last night. Zero effort and some brutal giveaways and coverage in their end. Not his best outing. They will keep him as an OA because but there is likely better options.

On to a tough schedule now. Soo tonight. Into London tomorrow. In Guelph Friday and the up to the Sound on Saturday. I will be impressed if they get any points from those games. They shown they can but all of those teams are in a heated playoff race so there won't be any "easy " games. Be safe.

Wassilyn watch continues.
Agree with most of what u wrote especially Smith,after a few good games,back to being usual last 2 games.
I would put Zhugin with Morneau and Spellacy and drop Smith with Nesbitt and Martin on the 3rd line.
Zhugin has struggled lately 1 point in last 6 games an assist.
Like I mentioned earlier with Zito gone and Outwater out would have been good line for Zhugin,now he needs play on one of top 2 lines.
After last night Spits are now 1-0-1-1 in their last 3,2-1-1-2 in their last 6,3-3-1-2 in their last 9.
Also of note Spits were 4-16-1 before coaching change
Since then in last 31 games they are 12-13-3-3 with 3 more road games and multiple player moves.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agree with most of what u wrote especially Smith,after a few good games,back to being usual last 2 games.
I would put Zhugin with Morneau and Spellacy and drop Smith with Nesbitt and Martin on the 3rd line.
Like I mentioned earlier with Zito gone and Outwater out would have been good line for Zhugin,now he needs play on one of top 2 lines.
After last night Spits are now 1-0-1-1 in their last 3,2-1-1-2 in their last 6,3-3-1-2 in their last 9.
Since then in last 31 games they are 12-13-3-3 with 3 more road games and multiple player moves.
And still at or near bottom..

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I’d also like to see those lines..

Zhugin has more offensive potential. Smith/Nesbitt/Martin creates as close to a “checking” line as we’ll get.

Morneau/Smith/Abraham are likely the OA group, I agree. But I also don’t think we will run 3 forwards as OA’s. I want to move smith, for anything, and bring in a gritty OA d man - per usual. I’d take Morneau over Smith, even more now than before. Morneau plays with more passion, and I think fits here, where smith may benefit from a scenery change. Smith being a Windsor guy may make the move unrealistic as I’m sure we owe an off-ice favor or something dumb.
We just have to accept Abraham is streaky and hope for the best next year. A Top 3 pick will do great. Wassiyln Watch is great, but a top 3, is fine with me. With our Saginaw Deals this year, a build around the 06 group and our draft picks.. I’m watching for a Misa deal in the future.

Spellacy is coming along, and I think he will become a more successful OHL player in his position than Christoforo. I’m not writing Christoforo off yet, D always take longer. My concern with 06’ group is Greentree leaves early. He’s often the only weapon, and even good teams can’t stop him.

Joeys been playing better but still fighting the puck a bit but I feel Donoso has helped settle him down over Michelone.

Spits are competing, and still losing ground. Good.

The W’s are coming at home too… which is great for sustaining attendance in a major down year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I’d also like to see those lines..

Zhugin has more offensive potential. Smith/Nesbitt/Martin creates as close to a “checking” line as we’ll get.

Morneau/Smith/Abraham are likely the OA group, I agree. But I also don’t think we will run 3 forwards as OA’s. I want to move smith, for anything, and bring in a gritty OA d man - per usual. I’d take Morneau over Smith, even more now than before. Morneau plays with more passion, and I think fits here, where smith may benefit from a scenery change. Smith being a Windsor guy may make the move unrealistic as I’m sure we owe an off-ice favor or something dumb.
We just have to accept Abraham is streaky and hope for the best next year. A Top 3 pick will do great. Wassiyln Watch is great, but a top 3, is fine with me. With our Saginaw Deals this year, a build around the 06 group and our draft picks.. I’m watching for a Misa deal in the future.

Spellacy is coming along, and I think he will become a more successful OHL player in his position than Christoforo. I’m not writing Christoforo off yet, D always take longer. My concern with 06’ group is Greentree leaves early. He’s often the only weapon, and even good teams can’t stop him.

Joeys been playing better but still fighting the puck a bit but I feel Donoso has helped settle him down over Michelone.

Spits are competing, and still losing ground. Good.

The W’s are coming at home too… which is great for sustaining attendance in a major down year.
Your second last paragraph is exactly how most of us feel I'm sure. Lol.

Reactions: KyGuy9

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Well writing is on the wall. The Spitfires are all but officially eliminated. Atleast weve seen competitive games in most of our losses. At this point gotta play for Pride and the guy next to you on the bench. Also got to play like the scouts are watching, Shows alot about a players character and love of the game in times like this when your just riding out the schedule and hope for the playoffs are lost.

Were in deep here coming off a road loss vs Flint and playing against a rested Soo team coming off a huge blowout win against the nights. I Feel its either Going to go two ways tonight, going to get steamrolled and get lit up or the the Greyhounds come in and take the Spitfires a bit too easy and we have a chance.

Windsor usually play the Soo pretty strong so im hoping for the same in this evenings game. Play with the Heart Mickey did out there and we have a chance Boys!!

Go Spitfires Go!!!!
Our Captain Forever #18🙏

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Well quick start and 2nd period went excellent. 3rd period the Soo pushed back but that was it. Davis Spellacy Greentree bringing it most games recently Woodall +2 Cristoforo-1 hummm

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well apparently I picked a good game to go to. Lol.

I think it was just Micky's mom that was there. Greentree gave her flowers at the very end of the ceremony.

The family has asked to have it dialed back somewhat. They just want more focus on the bursary recipients. But we did not see any of that tonight.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well apparently I picked a good game to go to. Lol.

I think it was just Micky's mom that was there. Greentree gave her flowers at the very end of the ceremony.

The family has asked to have it dialed back somewhat. They just want more focus on the bursary recipients. But we did not see any of that tonight.

After 15 years, I think that's reasonable for all involved. The concourse tribute, the number retired, and the road outside the arena are all still there. Now, they can focus on other areas of it away from the ice. Nobody will ever forget Mickey and it feels like a good time to pull back a bit and let life move forward. I like the idea of giving flowers to the billets at this game, too. They deserve it and, IIRC, the event that the Spitfires were holding the morning that Mickey passed away was a Family Day event at the Barn. This kind of blends the two things together to move forward with.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
The squad is 3-1-2 in their last six games, some improvement. Spellacy is really breaking out, his speed continues to create scoring chances and he's starting to score on more of his chances. Could be about a 60-80 pt player as soon as next season, same goes for Davis.

Regarding the OAs, Smith won't be one. You can pick up OAs for cheap in the June trading window. I remember this past year, traded away Holmes and Sobolev for 4ths and 5ths. I expect an OA to be added via trade. Hoping they stay bottom 3 in the standings, (want a top 3 pick). They are 7 behind Sarnia with a game in hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The squad is 3-1-2 in their last six games, some improvement. Spellacy is really breaking out, his speed continues to create scoring chances and he's starting to score on more of his chances. Could be about a 60-80 pt player as soon as next season, same goes for Davis.

Regarding the OAs, Smith won't be one. You can pick up OAs for cheap in the June trading window. I remember this past year, traded away Holmes and Sobolev for 4ths and 5ths. I expect an OA to be added via trade. Hoping they stay bottom 3 in the standings, (want a top 3 pick). They are 7 behind Sarnia with a game in hand.
They are also 2-0-1-1 in their last 4 games,3-1-1-2 in their last 7,and 4-4-1-2 in their last 11,4 regulation losses definite overall improvement.
And happy to say when coaching change was made after 21 games, they were 4-16-1,since then in the last 32 games they are 13-13-3-3.
But I am with you,while I want the team to do well,I too want a top 3 player selection
I agree with you regarding Smith and him not being an OA next season.
That being said very impressed with Morneau and his possibilities as an OA,currently has 12 points in his last 11 games.
On to London tomorrow afternoon curious to see how Windsor performs.
Go Spits Go.

Reactions: OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA