Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts while I have a chance here...

Goals against...

1. McCB goes to play the puck in the corner, but his teammate is already there. Stops on a dime glove side. Takes a pass, snaps it home. PPG.
2. 2-on-1 short handed. Nesbitt tries to get back to cover for Toms, who's well behind it, but puck goes blocker side.
3. Point shot through a crowd. Did Donoso miss this or screened?
4. Brady Martin sneaks in from the blue-line, nobody sees him, and he one-times it blocker side.

- When you jump out to a 5-0 lead, you're doing something right.
- Toure with a nice rush using his speed, got a great shot off for his first as a Spitfire. If he can pinch like that and produce, he can go anywhere on the rink that he wants.
- Multi-point games from Spellacy, Morneau, Greentree, and Davis. While Spell/Green/Davis are going to be the core for next season, Morneau making a legit case for an OA spot. 12 points in his last 10 games? Okay!
- Donoso with a quiet solid effort. He wasn't flashy but made the the stops he had to. Other than the third goal... which you almost expect from him now (one point shot per game).
- Seven other guys had a single point; when they're on, everyone is chipping in.
- Allowing four goals in the third period wasn't great and they know that. However, you knew the Soo was going to come out angry. That's why you build leads and learn how to hold them.

London on Monday afternoon. Let's aim for a point and be even happier with two.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A few thoughts while I have a chance here...

Goals against...

1. McCB goes to play the puck in the corner, but his teammate is already there. Stops on a dime glove side. Takes a pass, snaps it home. PPG.
2. 2-on-1 short handed. Nesbitt tries to get back to cover for Toms, who's well behind it, but puck goes blocker side.
3. Point shot through a crowd. Did Donoso miss this or screened?
4. Brady Martin sneaks in from the blue-line, nobody sees him, and he one-times it blocker side.

- When you jump out to a 5-0 lead, you're doing something right.
- Toure with a nice rush using his speed, got a great shot off for his first as a Spitfire. If he can pinch like that and produce, he can go anywhere on the rink that he wants.
- Multi-point games from Spellacy, Morneau, Greentree, and Davis. While Spell/Green/Davis are going to be the core for next season, Morneau making a legit case for an OA spot. 12 points in his last 10 games? Okay!
- Donoso with a quiet solid effort. He wasn't flashy but made the the stops he had to. Other than the third goal... which you almost expect from him now (one point shot per game).
- Seven other guys had a single point; when they're on, everyone is chipping in.
- Allowing four goals in the third period wasn't great and they know that. However, you knew the Soo was going to come out angry. That's why you build leads and learn how to hold them.

London on Monday afternoon. Let's aim for a point and be even happier with two.
Putting Morneau and Spellacy together has helped both of them. They have really taken off since that line was assembled. Speed kills. Still can't figure out how Smith manages to play with them but it is working. I give coaches credit for sticking with the top lines and not changing them every shift. They seem to toy with the D abit but generally they try to keep them steady.

On the other hand with home ice why do you put out the 4th line and bottom D against Soo's top line with Soo having momentum in our end. Yup lead to a goal against twice. This is not a team that can hold a lead well and ya but they had a big lead but the Soo had lots of time to rack up some goals almost let it slip away. Soo's soft play and goaltending saved the Spits bacon.

Still was a fun game and I'm starting to appreciate what Toure brings to the team. No panic with the puck and he is not afraid to defend the net. That is exactly what an OA D needs to do. Show the rooks how to play right.

Didn't need the 2 points but the players need to have those games to build confidence towards next year.

Now with 17 wins which ties the record for 2nd worst season but only 1 win to 18 and there was about 3 seasons with that number including 2006. We all remember who was on the 2006 Spit roster. Be safe.

Wassilyn watch continues.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The squad is 3-1-2 in their last six games, some improvement. Spellacy is really breaking out, his speed continues to create scoring chances and he's starting to score on more of his chances. Could be about a 60-80 pt player as soon as next season, same goes for Davis.

Regarding the OAs, Smith won't be one. You can pick up OAs for cheap in the June trading window. I remember this past year, traded away Holmes and Sobolev for 4ths and 5ths. I expect an OA to be added via trade. Hoping they stay bottom 3 in the standings, (want a top 3 pick). They are 7 behind Sarnia with a game in hand.
Barrie is closer in standings..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Screenshot_20240219_113745_X.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So today's game. Spits with the 3rd game of a 3 & 3. Heading into London, what could possibly go wrong with that?! 😊
Then again they surprised us yesterday. Maybe they can catch the Knights napping?
Just give a competitive effort and I'm good. I figured the next 4 games would be zero points but they already have 2 so there's that.
Either way I like the chemistry the 06 group is building. Higher pick would be nice but there has to be balance. Be safe.

Wassilyn watch continues.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Nice to have a chance to watch the game but I miss replays and a time clock🙂.
They do look tired so this might get a bit messy.

You put Barkey and Cowan together, things are going to happen, even on the PK.
Yes but definitely given a gift in their end. Blind passes never work on the blue line.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Nice to have a chance to watch the game but I miss replays and a time clock🙂.
The do look tired so this might get a bit messy.

Yes but definitely given a gift in their end. Blind passes never work on the blue line.
Been doing blind passes all season..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese