Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts while I have a chance here...

Goals against...

1. Xhekaj all alone in front. He buries it.
2. A broken play in the Windsor zone. Brant gets a two-on-one down low. Davis tries to block in the crease but an open net is no challenge.
3. Point shot on the PP that Costanzo likely wants back.
4. Xhekaj goes to the net and Smith can't handle him.

- Another good start for Windsor. Can't argue with those.
- The second period did them in. They took too many penalties, gave Brant all the momentum, and gave up the lead.
- Overtime was another pile of chances given up but, thankfully, Costanzo was up to the challenge.
- The Bulldogs really did a number in the shootout. Costanzo had no idea how to respond... and I don't think many would. Rumour is the players are still deking.
- Costanzo with 49 saves. Im sure he'd like the third goal back but a solid performance, esp in the second when 23 shots were thrown at him. If he can play like that consistently, he'll give them plenty of chances to get points.
- Greentree with the quietest two-point night. A pair of helpers and looked like he had no issues taking a backseat to Abraham et. al.
- Speaking of Abraham... his first hat-trick in the OHL. If he plays like this, he's dangerous. He just has to keep his head in the game.
- Cristoforo and Walton also each had a pair of assists. Give me performances like that every night and I'm content.

Flint, Soo, and London coming up Sat, Sun, and Mon. They need four points, somehow, to keep in this race. I don't mind the thought of getting a lottery pick but you can't dismiss the playoffs until you're eliminated.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The effort was there last night for sure. 2nd period although not the best was better than most we have seen lately. As noted above Davis and Spellacy are giving other teams fits. Not many D in the league able to skate with them. Add In Morneau and Abraham making them hard to handle . The finish is another thing.

I'll repeat on my comment from last night but somehow the Spellacy, Morneau Smith line is really working. Smith has managed to up his game while playing with the 2 speedsters. It has really helped him. They were the best line last night. Yes the top line got more points but their line gave Brantford fits all night with their forecheck.

#13 playing 4th line minutes last night. I think the writing is on the wall for the teams plans going forward.

Sorry but you never, ever, ever let the opposition shoot on your goalie first in a shoot out!!
If they score you shake your goalies confidence and it puts all the pressure on your shooters!
That wasn’t a good look last night.
I personally hate shoot outs but if there in the rules at least coach them correctly. Be safe.

Wassilyn watch continues.

It appears that the Monday, Family Day game has no tv coverage, zilch! If you've heard different, please do tell.
Is it not on the CHL app? Usually you get 1 camera and a radio overlay?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor got a point.
Abraham had a good game.
Greentree quiet 2 points.
Joey played very well other than the 1 goal.
Jerseys were a lot better than some they have worn in past.
Defense wasn't good.
Way too many shots allowed. Soft coverage. Out of position.
Doesn't seem they can even tank right for 1st pick. Guess will c..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Nice they got a point but the Spits pretty much got dominated that game. 2nd was terrible, 3rd wasn't good until the called back goal and Spits got 2 but proceeded to give up a goal less than a minute later "again". Watching the broadcast they were trying paint quite the picture of this team not being that bad. The they play the 1st quite well and if they could just put it together. They have terrible periods consistently because it's not a good roster.

I won't address that they lost to a team who sold off their best players last year and continued with Van Vliet and Donovan at the deadline. Yet they're clearly in the hunt for a 1 seed. We aren't looking at the same picture here unfortunately.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The club is holding an outdoor practice/event at Lanspeary Park Friday afternoon. They did a similar one about 10yrs ago and the community seemed to love it. Nice little break from the chaos of the second half.
What chaos? Keeping out of last??

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Busy weekend ahead for the OHL. SPITS play SAT,SUN & MONDAY…HERE are the remaining games. A lot will change over the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3610.jpeg
    IMG_3610.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
The effort was there last night for sure. 2nd period although not the best was better than most we have seen lately. As noted above Davis and Spellacy are giving other teams fits. Not many D in the league able to skate with them. Add In Morneau and Abraham making them hard to handle . The finish is another thing.

I'll repeat on my comment from last night but somehow the Spellacy, Morneau Smith line is really working. Smith has managed to up his game while playing with the 2 speedsters. It has really helped him. They were the best line last night. Yes the top line got more points but their line gave Brantford fits all night with their forecheck.

#13 playing 4th line minutes last night. I think the writing is on the wall for the teams plans going forward.

Sorry but you never, ever, ever let the opposition shoot on your goalie first in a shoot out!!
If they score you shake your goalies confidence and it puts all the pressure on your shooters!
I personally hate shoot outs but if there in the rules at least coach them correctly. Be safe.

I don't even think it's on the CHL app! Someone tell me I'm wrong.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I don't even think it's on the CHL app! Someone tell me I'm wrong.
I don't think you're wrong. Seems to me this happened last year on Family day. Rogers not posting anything. Your TV has that time slot blocked out as community messages locally which often means game but being in London no feed.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Agree with most of what u wrote,I feel bad for Zhugin with Zito gone and Outwater out for the year would have been a good line imo,unfortunately his line line mates consisting of rookies Martin,Nesbitt, Greenwell or Struthurs is challenging, he has only 1 point in his last 5.
Spits now are 3-3-0-2 in their last 8 and 2-1-0-2 in their last 5,Abraham leading the way with 10 points in those 5 games,including 6 goals,Davis with 7 points,and Greentree and Morneau with 6 points each.
2nd periods continue to be a problem, have been all season,while 1st periods continue to be real good for the most part.
Take a look in the last 5 games here are the period by period breakdown goals for and against
1st periods-8GF,2GA,2nd periods-3GF,10GA,and 3rd periods -9GF,6GA
And in the last 8 games where Windsor is 3-3-0-2 here are the numbers
1st periods-12GF,6GA,2nd periods-6GF,19A,and in 3rd periods-14GF,8GA,clean up the 2nd periods and things will be even better.
Penalty killing also needs to be better last 5 games only 60% effiency, while the PP respectable at 26.7% in the same stretch.
For the season the PP is operating at a rate of 19.3% which is 13th in the league,while the PK is at 74.7% which is 18th.
Before the coaching changes,PP was 14th and the PK was 20th,there has been improvements in both areas since the beginning of the season despite the roster turnover.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Agree with most of what u wrote,I feel bad for Zhugin with Zito gone and Outwater out for the year would have been a good line imo,unfortunately his line line mates consisting of rookies Martin,Nesbitt, Greenwell or Struthurs is challenging, he has only 1 point in his last 5.
Spits now are 3-3-0-2 in their last 8 and 2-1-0-2 in their last 5,Abraham leading the way with 10 points in those 5 games,including 6 goals,Davis with 7 points,and Greentree and Morneau with 6 points each.
2nd periods continue to be a problem, have been all season,while 1st periods continue to be real good for the most part.
Take a look in the last 5 games here are the period by period breakdown goals for and against
1st periods-8GF,2GA,2nd periods-3GF,10GA,and 3rd periods -9GF,6GA
And in the last 8 games where Windsor is 3-3-0-2 here are the numbers
1st periods-12GF,6GA,2nd periods-6GF,19A,and in 3rd periods-14GF,8GA,clean up the 2nd periods and things will be even better.
Penalty killing also needs to be better last 5 games only 60% effiency, while the PP respectable at 26.7% in the same stretch.
For the season the PP is operating at a rate of 19.3% which is 13th in the league,while the PK is at 74.7% which is 18th.
Before the coaching changes,PP was 14th and the PK was 20th,there has been improvements in both areas since the beginning of the season despite the roster turnover.
Well stated

Reactions: hockeylegend11

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I looked and they don't show any games beyond Sunday on their schedule. I'm assuming if scheduled it will be on there tomorrow.
Windsor - London game is listed on the CHL app as an upcoming game so they have it as being available. Now if they do show it it will be limited coverage much like they use to do it Mississauga until the college took over. Here's hoping!

Reactions: nelli27 and rve24

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
It's a bufugle wanting your team to play well and also really wish for better draft positions at the same time. Is the coaching trying to win at all costs? Or quietly told by Bowler to not give it 100%? Publicly will never know. The players want to win, unfair to expect them to purposely tank although it appears that way at times. The ones leaving or graduating certainly don't care about next year's draft position. Are some of the returning younger players thinking my ice may be cut if high talent comes in so play our asses off now to reduce that chance. Alot of things to ponder either way.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
And Flint so now Spits 12 points out of a playoff spot and dropped to 20th overall. This has been a very unfortunate season.
It really falls to Windsor having to win out to even have a shot. Not really realistic at this point.
They were 11 points out of the playoffs when Smith got canned. They haven't gained any ground. Their season is done. You can't make the playoffs in November but you can certainly miss the playoffs in November.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
BTW, props to the Spitfires for a solid event at Lanspeary on Friday. I'd guess around 150-200 fans showed up and the team put on a nice little show for them; some practice, some 3on3, some skills. Everyone looked like they had a good time with it, despite the cold.
Defense practice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad