Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I have to pinch myself and remind myself Spits are only 10 games into the season and heaven forbid they may actually lose a game at some point! I'm reminded of something I've posted in the past - points you don't get in September are points you still don't have in March. Need to reverse that this year. Points you get in September are points you still have in March. There is a nice ring to that. Now it is junior hockey and this bubble will likely burst but having a few points in the bank is real nice.

Go Spits Go!!!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
How come I don't see the 3 you speak of in the L column.
If they were there I would agree
In regulation when things count the most not gimmicks ie 3 on 3 and shootouts Windsor is undefeated and btw have the most points in the league
On another note,Spits in their last 3 games have scored 25 goals and allowed 10.
18 of 21 skaters have registered at least 1 point in those 3 games and more impressive only 2 of those 18 have not scored at least 1 goal,Morneau who has 3 assists, and DeAngilis who has 2 assists are the only who didn't score at least a goal.
The 3 skaters who didn't register a point were Hebek,Martin both only played 1 game and Jodoin who played in 2 games.
Even goalie Joey Costanzo who played in 2 of 3 games picked up an assist against his former teammates.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I knew you were the spinmaster, but trying to somehow spin losses into not losses is impressive, even for you.

Spits have lost 3 games

Reactions: windsor7

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Spitfires have lost 3 games in overtime. Fact. Spitfires are first place in the Western Conference with a 2 1/2 game lead on 2nd place 11 games in. Fact.

I'm impressed with this team. It feels like a team. Similar boat here, knowing Cuylle, Damico, Henault would be gone had me a little concerned with offensive production. Hearing Zito moved, concerns grew. Now knowing Wyatt's a highly unlikely return, I feel like my concerns should be higher but I'm feeling good about this club.

Credit due to Bowler & Savard as well. I love it… and hate it because they're proving they deserves jobs at higher levels. I'm going to try and enjoy them here for whatever duration that may be. It seems that Bowler has moved out guys that don't want to be here and is replacing their roster spots with guys that are buying into the "team".

No disrespect to this Spits club, but if I looked at that lineup last June, I'd go… "Oh No…, the run was nice while it lasted."

Maggio's playing up to my expectations, even slightly exceeding based on how last year ended. Abraham is far exceeding mine (although I expected a production increase, not this much, this early), Maillet and Christopolous have been pleasant surprises I didn't expect, and while I've always enjoyed watching Peer, I definitely did not expect him to have 6G/6A in 11 games, unless he had been paired with Wyatt due to being one of the remaining that could keep up with the speed of Johnston.

DeAngelis and Christoforo are guys I expected to be solid on the backend but not to the extent they have. Sobolev is doing what I thought he would, Renwick's put a couple more shots in which help the Offense from the D.

Onuska is about on par where he was last year, which is phenomenal for the Spits between the pipes, and while I still think Downey has potential to excel in this league, Costanzo (05) was an immediate upgrade that also has a year of eligibility on Downey (04).

The picks of Spellacy/Greentree/Christoforo are quite remarkable as well.
Christoforo's got 9 points and a +4 rating through his first 11 games in the league, for a low end 1st round pick, great start.
Spellacy's a big body with 2G4A through 11 games. Holds a -3 right now, but I think the big accomplishment by the management group was getting him to take hockey over football. I think by the end of the season we'll all be impressed.
Greentree's just got a couple goals through 10 games, but same thing. I think by the end of this year he'll hopefully come around, but with both these guys and the current production, if they just chip in here or there this season, they'll hit their mark.
I never expect first year players to be what guides the team to success, and hopefully they're able to contribute in certain areas and end up with a nice stat line by the end of the year, similar to Meidema last season.

I'm sure the negative posters will be back here blowing up the board as soon as we get that first loss, but it sure is exciting to start off this hot. With the 67's loss, we're the only team to not lose in regulation yet. Sure that's a unique stat, but I think that's proof the spits have been in every game they've been apart of.

An OT/Shootout Loss is a loss but according to ontariohockeyleague.com it doesn't break a streak. We're listed as on an 8-0-3-0 winning streak right now ;)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Names to consider ,Artem Grushnikov from Hamilton, drafHe's ted by Dallas,an 03 already signed,would mean trading Hrbek to make room for the Russian import,plays with an edge,perfect partner for Christoforo, Ryan Mast from Sarnia,Landon Cato from Niagara their captain plays with some bite,Braeden Hache from Kingston, has size and strength.

Of those names, I'd prefer Mast or even Chandler Romeo. He's an 03 with bite.

I knew you were the spinmaster, but trying to somehow spin losses into not losses is impressive, even for you.

Spits have lost 3 games

What's the point of stirring like this? Yes, they've lost three, but all were in extra time. They are undefeated in regulation which, at this point, is very impresive. What exactly are you trying to do?

BTW, HF adding the feature that combines your posts is very appreciated. It helps when scrolling multiple pages.

Last edited:

Section 103

May 25, 2016
Man - I don’t know how they’re doing it, they’re winning by committee - they don’t have too many NHL draft selections but the Spits have been in every game, every night.

And the Costanzo move by BB looks to have been genuius. Glad we were one of the teams that were able to take advantage of Niagara’s desperation. 3 times haha.

Ryan Abraham now sits 5th in league scoring after having only 1 point in his first 4 games.

Cristoforo now sits 4th in rookie scoring with 9 points in 11 games - also love how happy he was after getting the monkey off his back - what a steal he was at 22.
Cristoforo is gonna be huge in this league. I can't wait until he is able to grow a little! He is positionally one of the best defensemen I have seen since Ellis, and his stick work is exceptional.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Cristoforo is gonna be huge in this league. I can't wait until he is able to grow a little! He is positionally one of the best defensemen I have seen since Ellis, and his stick work is exceptional.
I said it when the Spits drafted him - I was shocked he was still around at 22. I did a little more digging and he leads all CHL rookie blue liners in scoring.

Was overlooked because of how stacked that Jr. Canadiens team was last season - once Mews went down with an injury in the GTHL finals, Cristoforo was as good, if not better than Mews (7th overall pick), they ended up winning the championship anyway.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Christoforo only slid in the draft because of his size which has not been a detriment so far other than difficultly clearing bodies in front of the net. His stick work and position enables him to break up most plays retreating back in the D zone as good as anyone. Abraham undrafted last year NHL size and lost year big factors, currently 5th in league scoring by a few points. Spits fans know he is as tough as nails and I predict he certainly won't get passed over this year next NHL draft. Like a wolverine he my be smaller bit will not back down to any opposition. More fight in him than a Tasmanian devil.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Christoforo only slid in the draft because of his size which has not been a detriment so far other than difficultly clearing bodies in front of the net. His stick work and position enables him to break up most plays retreating back in the D zone as good as anyone. Abraham undrafted last year NHL size and lost year big factors, currently 5th in league scoring by a few points. Spits fans know he is as tough as nails and I predict he certainly won't get passed over this year next NHL draft. Like a wolverine he my be smaller bit will not back down to any opposition. More fight in him than a Tasmanian devil.

Brad Marchand 2.0. He's quiet off the ice but...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Of those names, I'd prefer Mast or even Chandler Romeo. He's an 03 with bite.

What's the point of stirring like this? Yes, they've lost three, but all were in extra time. They are undefeated in regulation which, at this point, is very impresive. What exactly are you trying to do?

BTW, HF adding the feature that combines your posts is very appreciated. It helps when scrolling multiple pages.
You ever tell Legend to stop stirring? I don't recall seeing that from you.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree with everything written,as mentioned above he currently leads all rookie dmen in points,actually by 3 points,London dman Sam Dickinson has 6 points.
As well Christoforo is tied for 3rd overall in points.
Too bad after tonight Windsor is losing him for 5 games because of the U17 tourney in BC that starts next week.
Only good thing is that after tonight Windsor won't be playing in the US for any of the 5 games Christoforo will be gone,so Sobolev won't miss any games due to the visa situation.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
What us the deal with Sobolev's Visa? Here now in his second year. You'd think this would be sorted out by now unless Russian players being persecuted by the States because of a war they have nothing to do with it. The NHL Russians are playing. Probably something to do with the taxes they pay on those big NHL salaries lol.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So I guess the Panwar trade wasn't anywhere close to representative to the value Currie had.
Says the guy who stirs the pot
Busted!
Course weren't you the same guy who said the Spits were not contenders last year after the trade deadline
How did that work out for you Rayzor
Humbleness from you not likely

• Haha
Reactions: Travis Bickle 77

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Size isn’t a big issue in junior drafts, it will cause a player to drop in NHL drafts but certainly not in junior draft - he didn’t slip because of that, that I can tell you with upmost certainty.

During the season - it was thought that he was more a passenger on a very strong Toronto Jr. Canadiens team, he was playing as the teams second line right handed defender, behind Henry Mews. During the GTHL final against the Mississauga Senators, Mews went down with an injury and Cristoforo came in and was dominant from the moment he took over for Mews - and it convinced some (myself included) that Cristoforo wasn’t a passenger on that team and was one of the best players available for last years OHL draft.

Reactions: Section 103

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What us the deal with Sobolev's Visa? Here now in his second year. You'd think this would be sorted out by now unless Russian players being persecuted by the States because of a war they have nothing to do with it. The NHL Russians are playing. Probably something to do with the taxes they pay on those big NHL salaries lol.

I haven't heard much about it, unfortunately. I thought it'd have been cleared up long ago but...

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Too bad after tonight Windsor is losing him for 5 games because of the U17 tourney in BC that starts next week.
Only good thing is that after tonight Windsor won't be playing in the US for any of the 5 games Christoforo will be gone,so Sobolev won't miss any games due to the visa situation.

I've looked at it as opportunities for player, not like it as "too bad" for the team, as mentioned
It's one more opportunity , wether it's a different coach for a week, playing, practicing, competing with high end peers. I think of it as a benefit to the player and eventually his Jr club.
He has had a great start and is being rewarded for such.
These situations will help Jr clubs in the long run more often than not. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad