Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Eichler finally arrives tomorrow as per Star. Not likely to see any preseason action due to conditioning. Cristoforo has a hip bothering him. Hoping that disappears sooner than later. With players at nhl camps this weekend not likely to show us too much. Smith maybe back to start regular season . Davis and Christopoulis expected back in October.
Correct on Eichler hasn't been skating or in conditioning since being diagnosed with Mono,as u mentioned won't be here till late tomorrow, re Colton Smith would not be surprised he misses 1st week end of regular season action,Christoforo they expect by 1st game of season,and with Christopoulis and Davis out till mid October reportedly, little short handed to start the season.
Initially Spits had 31 players listed on exhibition roster,3G,11D,17F,with the above info above re injuries,illness and also Dionicio, Deangelis, Maillet and Peer away with NHL camps,Spits have 22 players available to play 3G,7D,12F available to play.
Only forward Nick Grenerio hasn't suited up for Windsor thus far in exhibition play.
Good chance for players such as Alec Stewart,Jack Greenwell, Ethan Martin,Kyler Morgan,Jack Nesbitt to show what they can bring,along with rookie dmen,Winegart,Hjelholt, Manzo and Lavigne as well.Toss jn goalie Carter Frogett who was excellent in the Flint game,exhibition game#1.
Next 3 games in 4 days will interesting.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Eichler finally arrives tomorrow as per Star. Not likely to see any preseason action due to conditioning. Cristoforo has a hip bothering him. Hoping that disappears sooner than later. With players at nhl camps this weekend not likely to show us too much. Smith maybe back to start regular season . Davis and Christopoulis expected back in October.
I imagine Davis had more issues than just getting his appendix removed. It's not uncommon for people to return within a couple weeks.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Confidence is so important. With the player graduation and HC coaching change there may be a degree of skepticism. Therefore a solid start too the season is extremely important. There has been a ton of time to develop team systems, as well as team chemistry. NHL training camp and injuries are weak excuses, that winning will erase.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
As of last check, DeAngelis, Peer, and Dionicio are all heading to their respective NHL main camps. I haven't seen an update from the Canucks regarding Maillet.
Maillet appears to be back as he is listed in tonight's lineup
Michelone starts, Costanzo back up
Spits going with 11 forwards and 7D
Not dressed,Smith, Christopoulis, Morneau, Davis,Greniero, Eichler, DeAngilis, Christoforo, Dionicio, Peer and Froggett.
Should note Greniero 's La Salle team and Froggett 's London teams are playing tonight both at home.

Reactions: Cherrydon and OHLTG

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
That was a pretty average display last night. After seeing 2 of the 3 exhibition games there isn't a single "bubble" player who looks like he is trying to distance himself from any others. It looks like at this point it doesn't matter who makes the team they are all similar. Some will say it's because they're all budding stars but certainly haven't displayed that yet. Nesbit though certainly looks good.I was hoping with spots open you wouldsee a shift here or there from someone. See how they bounce back tonight

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
That was a pretty average display last night. After seeing 2 of the 3 exhibition games there isn't a single "bubble" player who looks like he is trying to distance himself from any others. It looks like at this point it doesn't matter who makes the team they are all similar. Some will say it's because they're all budding stars but certainly haven't displayed that yet. Nesbit though certainly looks good.I was hoping with spots open you wouldsee a shift here or there from someone. See how they bounce back tonight
I agree last night pretty average display especially in goal with Michelone like the other night Flint struggling at times,after admittedly a strong training camp.
Team struggling to ice a full team only 16 skaters and 2 tenders dressed last night,9 forwards and 7D,by the 3rd forwards looked gassed and their play trailing in that period reflected it.
Good thing,only exhibition not concerned moving forward, especially considering as Jim Parker wrote 10 regulars out including 7 forwards,8 if u include Grenerio who played for La Salle last night though 16 year old dmen Manzo and Lavigne played for Windsor, 3 top D, Dionicio and DeAngilis NHL camps,Christoforo injured,toss in Eichler who was to arrive late yesterday.
I suspect Costanzo gets the full game tonight, with LA Salle not playing hopefully couple forwards namely Grenerio and McManus,ideally Natham Gaymes too if he signs,especially if Morneau, Martin and Spellacy are unable to play,knowing,Peer,Smith,Davis and Christopoulis are not available.
Hopefully guys like Castle,Greenwell, Struthers step up their game against Flint.
Should be an interesting match up tonight.

Reactions: punch1943

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not dressed for Flint,G,Nathional Day,
D- Bertucci,Smith,F- both Pitres,Ethan Hay,Gavin Hayes.
For Windsor, G-Froggett,D -Dionicio, Deangelis, Christoforo, Eichler,F- Davis, Peer,Smith,Morneau, Christopoulis, Martin, Maillet and Spellacy.
Brown Flint and Costanzo Windsor starting goalies.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Another drubbing. Abraham 2 high sticking minors and a roughing, Jodoin 2 roughing minors and -4 derseves a OA spot? Sure it is preseason but the lack of discipline for some is a concern.

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Abysmal performance completely! Only player i liked was Struthers. Was worth the free tics. Yep lots of bodies were out. Those that are here and staying looked bad. Are we really going to see a dump and chase offense???? D s no better at covering their own zone. #1 goalie couldnt hold a rebound and made some terrible decisions…. Lets hope this isnt an early sign of poor coaching. Some real bad looks tonight.

• Wow
Reactions: OHL 17

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Another drubbing. Abraham 2 high sticking minors and a roughing, Jodoin 2 roughing minors and -4 derseves a OA spot? Sure it is preseason but the lack of discipline for some is a concern.
Abraham is the most veteran player in that lineup, be better....

Jerrod Smith

Attachments

• giphy (13).gif
    giphy (13).gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: Cherrydon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some thoughts on this one...

- I can excuse being down a goal or two to start a game. However, 4-0 doesn't fly.
- The D left Costanzo out to dry. Multiple odd-man rushes and rebounds; that just can't happen.
- The offence had a few good pressure chances but not enough sustained.

Positives:

- Greentree is full of confidence. He knows what he's capable of and is going to be fun to watch this season.
- Castle is playing better; he's not flashy and you barely notice him but then he gets on the scoreboard.
- Winegard is growing on me. He'll use the body and can contribute offensively. I can see him sticking around for a while.
- Struthers is going to be an asset. He created a bit tonight but showed plenty of grit and doesn't mind playing that pesky role.
- Lavigne didn't see a ton of ice but he was hitting everything he could while he had the chance.
- Jodoin was a -4... however... that's a team effort and I appreciated him sticking up for his teammates. At least one of the penalties was simply because he got into a chirping match with someone who was getting into it with Abraham. Joe Monette had enough and send both to the box. Seemed like a rather weak call to Jodoin.

Negatives:

- I love Abraham's feisty, chirping game. When he contributes offensively, he's incredibly valuable. However, if you're spending that much time in the box, having the officials yell at you, and having the opposition laugh at you... nope.
- "it wouldn't be a spitfires game without a Too Many Men call" - me at some point. It's almost a guarantee anymore.
- You can't have 18 shots through 40 minutes and expect to win. Zero sustained offensive pressure won't get you anywhere.
- They gave up seven PPs; have to clean up the discipline.
- I'm a huge believer in Costanzo but that goal 30-seconds after Winegard scores, just because Costanzo wanders and can't get back, simply can't happen.

This team has a lot to work on btwn now and the home opener. Fortunately, half of their lineup was out for various reasons so this will be a new team within a couples or three weeks.

On another note - Eichler was in the building and seemed to be soaking it all in. I had a chance to briefly say hello to him before the game and he was soft spoken and polite. Hopefully he's able to get into a game shortly.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Couple things to add, it wasn't pretty and with that lineup I wasn't expecting miracles so just focused on a play at a time. Castle's best game in a Spits uniform? Could be seems for first time I seen him get involved in any physical aspect. Usually at the first sign of contact he bails on the play. Last night was 1st time I seen him battle for the puck and willingly take a hit. He has to continue playing like that. As far as team D, when are they going to start taking the body and quit poking sticks. Flint entered the zone at their will. Body check body check body check, seems so simple yet hardly see it.
Also am I the only one that thought Tonin looked better than half our team last night? Hope alot of guys are healthy when season starts or October might be a long month lol.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
No you are not the only one who thought forward Adriano Tonin played better then half of the forwards dressed(10), big winger with some drive, adequate skill,doesn't turn 18 till November, wish more were like him last night ie Greenwell and Stewart.
Must say worst game I have seen Costanzo play at the WFCU Center since arriving early last year,3 goals especially the 5th one you make the game 5-3 after Windsor was down 4-0 and came back to make score 4-3,the dagger to put Windsor out of it,felt he should have had 2 of the 1st 4 goals,playing behind 6 rookies out of 7 dressed not easy I know,and frankly Jodoin the lone vet out of the 7 played like a rookie,hasn't play well since training where I thought he did perform well.
Forgot to add I agree with your comments re Castle,played well 1st game of exhibitions,then disappeared for the next 2,then played well last night,engaging more,
would explore moving him to get a 04 born dman,imo Jodoin not good enough to be 1 of 3 OAs.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some thoughts on this one...

- I can excuse being down a goal or two to start a game. However, 4-0 doesn't fly.
- The D left Costanzo out to dry. Multiple odd-man rushes and rebounds; that just can't happen.
- The offence had a few good pressure chances but not enough sustained.

Positives:

- Greentree is full of confidence. He knows what he's capable of and is going to be fun to watch this season.
- Castle is playing better; he's not flashy and you barely notice him but then he gets on the scoreboard.
- Winegard is growing on me. He'll use the body and can contribute offensively. I can see him sticking around for a while.
- Struthers is going to be an asset. He created a bit tonight but showed plenty of grit and doesn't mind playing that pesky role.
- Lavigne didn't see a ton of ice but he was hitting everything he could while he had the chance.
- Jodoin was a -4... however... that's a team effort and I appreciated him sticking up for his teammates. At least one of the penalties was simply because he got into a chirping match with someone who was getting into it with Abraham. Joe Monette had enough and send both to the box. Seemed like a rather weak call to Jodoin.

Negatives:

- I love Abraham's feisty, chirping game. When he contributes offensively, he's incredibly valuable. However, if you're spending that much time in the box, having the officials yell at you, and having the opposition laugh at you... nope.
- "it wouldn't be a spitfires game without a Too Many Men call" - me at some point. It's almost a guarantee anymore.
- You can't have 18 shots through 40 minutes and expect to win. Zero sustained offensive pressure won't get you anywhere.
- They gave up seven PPs; have to clean up the discipline.
- I'm a huge believer in Costanzo but that goal 30-seconds after Winegard scores, just because Costanzo wanders and can't get back, simply can't happen.

This team has a lot to work on btwn now and the home opener. Fortunately, half of their lineup was out for various reasons so this will be a new team within a couples or three weeks.

On another note - Eichler was in the building and seemed to be soaking it all in. I had a chance to briefly say hello to him before the game and he was soft spoken and polite. Hopefully he's able to get into a game shortly.
Agree with most of your view points positive and or negative, however I would probably move on from Jodoin once things are more settled re OAs and getting back the 3D guys missing,Dionicio, Deangelis and Christoforo.
Probably won't happen till just before mid October, in other words just after Thanksgiving.
Interesting numbers,Windsor last night with 6 forwards and 3 D missing,excluding Martin,Davis and Eichler though I expect all 3 to make lineup,had 154 goals and 269 assists missing from the lineup while Flint with 4 forwards and 2 D missing didn't have 102 goals and 136 assists in their lineup.
423 points compared to 238 big difference plus more importantly 6F to 4F,and 3D to 2D missing,that's huge when comparing lineups.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well it is just preseason so the results mean squat. But our junior b team is not as good as their junior b team so that is concerning.
Going into this year I'm not expecting the same results as the last 2 years. Maybe an ok fall but after the trade deadline I'm sure they will take a dip.

I did post earlier in the year that I had concerns with the junior b kids that filled in last year on D. Not convinced they are OHL caliber. That is starting to show already .

The results will improve with each returning player but this is not the year for any kinda run. Sell, Sell, Sell!

Go Spits Go!!!

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Well it is just preseason so the results mean squat. But our junior b team is not as good as their junior b team so that is concerning.
Going into this year I'm not expecting the same results as the last 2 years. Maybe an ok fall but after the trade deadline I'm sure they will take a dip.

I did post earlier in the year that I had concerns with the junior b kids that filled in last year on D. Not convinced they are OHL caliber. That is starting to show already .

The results will improve with each returning player but this is not the year for any kinda run. Sell, Sell, Sell!

Go Spits Go!!!
Hopefully the preseason will give the coaching staff a better idea of the newcomers….some of whom may be in over their heads but it’s not costing us points at this stage. As for sell, sell …..Certainly later….as for now perhaps a pick might be available…in the later rounds.

Reactions: ohloutsider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln