Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Smith " our work and compete level is where it needs to be" is a bit of a surprising statement. I realize there is alot of fillers right now but other teams have multiple players out as well. Thankfully it doesn't count yet. Anybody have an idea on the seriousness of Spellacy's & Maillet's injuries?

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Forgot to add I agree with your comments re Castle,played well 1st game of exhibitions,then disappeared for the next 2,then played well last night,engaging more,

I noticed he spent some shifts with Greentree and they seemed to be active around the goal. I'm not saying put them together for good but it's something worth exploring on Saturday, at least. Castle had 43 points in his rookie season so the talent is there.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not surprised hope he uses the experience gained at a pro camp.
Windsor vs Sarnia
Costanzo starts.
2 players are back in Morneau and Spellacy,all the others who didn't play the other night are out or not here.
19 players dressed by both teams tonight for Windsor 2G,6D,11F.
Lavigne and Greniero who both played the last game vs Flint are not dressed,playing for La Salle tonight and tomorrow.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
No stream tonight unfortunately. For those that attended did any Sting guys stick out? Any of the Gs nice or just of the greasy variety lol.

Look forward to the opener next week vs yall. Both with hopefully a few more regulars back in.

Reactions: rve24

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts...

- This loss wasn't from a lack of effort. They were trying to create, trying to press the issue, but seemed to get frustrated with the Sarnia D. Props to the Sting for playing a strong game.
- Again, 15 shots through two and 22 in total isn't going to win you many games. They were creating but the Sarnia D wasn't letting much at the goaltender. You have to find a way.
- The PK going 1/3 isn't good, though props for only taking three penalties (minus the mouthguard violation).
- Despite 5 GA, I didn't think Costanzo played poorly. He'd probably like a couple of them back but he made some big saves. The Sting got a lot of good bounce, greasy-style goals. It wasn't all from odd-man rushes or tic-tac-toe plays.
- I don't think anyone from Windsor had a truly bad game. There were miscues and poor choices but most players made up for those at some point. Sometimes, you just get beat.
- Castle and Struthers are growing on me. They each got onto the scoresheet; Castles seems to quietly create while Struthers will give you that extra effort and muck around. I'm intrigued by what they could become.
- Winegard threw a huge hit at center; the Sting player had a look of shock on his face. I know Winegard said in the paper that he's getting used to his size. He could be a real asset if he's able to throw the weight with a bit of a mean streak and contribute points every so often.
- This was a surprisingly quiet game given they're rivals. From where I was, usually you'd hear chirping or trash talk, but it was eerily quiet. It wasn't until the very end that words were exchanged.
- O'Dell was a late scratch; not sure of the reason.
- DeAngelis arrived to the arena late in the game, which is a good sign.
- Both teams had several regulars out so this was far from a true measuring stick, regardless of how it played out.

Let's see how the next few days play out for players returning. I'd imagine you'll see different teams once they face off on Friday night in the opener.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A few things to add or opine about.
Both teams listed 19 players each instead of 20,then O'Dell left warmup with apparent shoulder injury thus Windsor went with 5D,11D for the game.
While Costanzo was better then his last game there were 2 goals felt he should have had,must admit worst 2 home gamed I have seen him play since he arrived. Spits were missing 9 players,6F, and 3 of their best D,Christoforo Dionicio and DeAngilis, Sarnia had their best D dressed,despite 5 players out,1G,1D,3F.
Toss in losing Abraham with 5 minutes left in the 2nd,missing the last 25 minutes, Spits down to 15 skaters the rest of the night,plus Woodall took a misconduct in the 2nd leading to the 3rd so that didn't help.
Agree what you say about Struthers and Castle especially Struthers, definitely brings an element to the team that's needed.
On the backend I like Winegard and Woodall,not pleased with Jodoin,has not played well since the end of game,expect more especially with the 3D missing
Interesting numbers excluding Abraham,Windsor was missing 142G,241A, from their lineup for the 9 guys out,Sarnia was 34G,49A,huge difference, my view put the 3 missing D for Windsor in and their top 3 D out,game is no contest.
Is what it was,thankfully only exhibition.
More on things later.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Haven't seen any of the games but going 1-4 is concerning. Makes them 1-8 in their last 9. Now lots can and will change in the next few weeks but for me defense is going to be an issue. Really only 3 quality D and with injuries you are going to run a good part of the year with a junior B defensive core. Don't think you can score enough goals to overcome that. Hope Bowler is able to read the room better this year.
Sell - sell-sell!

Go Spits Go!!!

Reactions: OHL 17 and windsor7

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Is being a highly defensive style (counter Savard), going to make the Spits a competitive, developmental and entertaining team?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Haven't seen any of the games but going 1-4 is concerning. Makes them 1-8 in their last 9. Now lots can and will change in the next few weeks but for me defense is going to be an issue. Really only 3 quality D and with injuries you are going to run a good part of the year with a junior B defensive core. Don't think you can score enough goals to overcome that. Hope Bowler is able to read the room better this year.
Sell - sell-sell!

Go Spits Go!!!
I understand the sentiment of selling but beyond OAs what else is there to sell? They need to recoup assets but they need to have a vision moving forward. They're likely not getting players in return for OAs. These guys playing now are these the "replacements" for when moves are made? Some of these guys aren't OHL caliber.

Reactions: windsor7

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Is being a highly defensive style (counter Savard), going to make the Spits a competitive, developmental and entertaining team?
They are certainly neither right now. Offensive nor defensive. We have been relying on a great goaltending performance as our best D for a couple of years now. We lost games when the goalie was average that game whether it was Medina, Onuska or Costanzo. Didn't matter. Frankly I'm not thinking we don't have the assests to play a defensive game. Top 3 D Dionicio, Dangelis, Cristoforo are all here for offense. With a mixed bag of 6-7 slotted D talent left over. No doubt we can improve but lack of experience in this league will be evident. Even Jodoin hasn't likely even played 1 season's worth of games at the D position.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not worried about our lack of offence or defence right now simply because they're missing so many guys. Once we get players from the NHL/injuries, the club is going to look different. Sure, there will be growing pains with the youngsters but the club we saw in the preseason isn't the club we'll see in a month or so.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
They are certainly neither right now. Offensive nor defensive. We have been relying on a great goaltending performance as our best D for a couple of years now. We lost games when the goalie was average that game whether it was Medina, Onuska or Costanzo. Didn't matter. Frankly I'm not thinking we don't have the assests to play a defensive game. Top 3 D Dionicio, Dangelis, Cristoforo are all here for offense. With a mixed bag of 6-7 slotted D talent left over. No doubt we can improve but lack of experience in this league will be evident. Even Jodoin hasn't likely even played 1 season's worth of games at the D position.
Ironically DeAngelis isn't a real good offensively. Yes you want guys to chipping in but for the Spits to be better defensively DeAngelis needs to take more pride in his defense. Pretty much the most veteran D on the roster take care of your zone first.

Reactions: Cherrydon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm not worried about our lack of offence or defence right now simply because they're missing so many guys. Once we get players from the NHL/injuries, the club is going to look different. Sure, there will be growing pains with the youngsters but the club we saw in the preseason isn't the club we'll see in a month or so.
Usually aren't..

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not worried but aren't you a little concerned? Only 3 returning OHL caliber D should be a cause for concern because the rest of the D is not cutting it. Those 3 can't play every shift. Also if one or 2 of them get traded or injured who is filling in behind them? That is a concern that we all should recognize.

This years Spits is not a deep roster. 2 years of top notch hockey has put the team in this spot. This is not a bad thing but time to accept what you see is what you get.

Embrace the rebuild.

Sell - Sell - Sell!

Go Spits Go!!!

Reactions: dirty12

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Not worried but aren't you a little concerned? Only 3 returning OHL caliber D should be a cause for concern because the rest of the D is not cutting it. Those 3 can't play every shift. Also if one or 2 of them get traded or injured who is filling in behind them? That is a concern that we all should recognize.

This years Spits is not a deep roster. 2 years of top notch hockey has put the team in this spot. This is not a bad thing but time to accept what you see is what you get.

Embrace the rebuild.

Sell - Sell - Sell!

Go Spits Go!!!

I think the best way for me to describe how I'm approaching this season is "curious." The D is easily their biggest potential issue; they have some solid experience back there but are still very green. I don't expect them to be anywhere but mid-pack this season and that's if all goes well. That said, the D we saw over the last two weeks isn't the D we'll have so I'm willing to see how D'A and Dionicio help back there.

As I said earlier, many of the players we saw in camp won't be around once the roster gets back and/or returns to health. We were playing a lot of Jr B guys, who may fill in either later in the season or in 2024-25. It's a bit of a scramble right now.

SPITS4EVER

Feb 10, 2023
Wondering if anyone had intel to the extent of the Abraham injury left in 2nd
didn’t come back for third
thinking it was a knee
someone else said they think wrist.?
doesn’t sound good either way , hopefully it’s just precaution

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Wondering if anyone had intel to the extent of the Abraham injury left in 2nd
didn’t come back for third
thinking it was a knee
someone else said they think wrist.?
doesn’t sound good either way , hopefully it’s just precaution
Hearing it was a wrist out for safety precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino