Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
ilunless your in the room on a day to day basis, you have no idea who is or is not good in the room. I was with a team, talked to kids off the record, and I still struggled sometimes to see which kids were good and bad without more info from the inside of the room.

Totally agree. Being in a room n on a bench adds perspective. Alot of context.
Some feel getting free admission n hearing coach speak qualifies them as experts that no one can challenge. It's just hearsay n talking points.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Totally agree. Being in a room n on a bench adds perspective. Alot of context.
Some feel getting free admission n hearing coach speak qualifies them as experts that no one can challenge. It's just hearsay n talking points.
unless you are around when the microphone is off and the kids think your an insider, you don’t see how they truly act. even then, they still can put on a show somewhat.

Reactions: rve24 and Teflon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some thoughts on tonight...

- As expected, a ton of regulars out of Windsor's lineup. It gave the youngsters a good chance to get their feet wet.
- Froggett got the start and you could tell the nerves were there initially. He allowed a couple of early goals - one on a shot from about 40 feet and one off a draw. It's tough to say if they were screened but I'm sure he'd want them back, regardless. He settled down after that, making some impressive saves. The third goal was a shot off the end boards that bounced off his pad/skate and behind him. It's not a great one to allow but the D-man covering didn't get the Flint forward, either. That said, 34 saves on 37 shots and a second star isn't a bad way to end your first preseason game. He kept them in it and showed he's athletic enough to do what needs to be done.
- Jack Nesbitt is showing that he's not flashy but he gets the job done more times than not. He's a big kid who likes to get into the slot and use his size to his advantage. I believe he had one goal.
- Struthers is going to be a valuable asset if they use him correctly. He was all over the ice, creating offence where he could and creating havoc the rest of the time. He's pest-y, which I like.
- Ethan Martin is showing more confidence and comfort. While it takes him a bit to get up to speed, once he's there, he's set, showing some offence and some snarl. He was engaged multiple times and seemed to have no issues helping where necessary. That said... three or four minors? That's pushing it.
- Winegard and Woodall showed well on D. Woodall with the opening goal and played simple hockey. Winegard used his size on occasion. He's not overly quick, even for his size, but he seems to be decent enough with the intelligence and positioning to make up for that.
- Hjelholt and Manzo didn't look out of place. Hjeholt threw a few hits and Manzo played a very simple game, but they looked comfortable as the game went on.
- I believe the Spitfires were 6/6 on the PK. I know there are things to clean up but it's a nice start. So is 1/3 on the PP.
- I'm not even going to deny it - the music in there was LOUD tonight.
- It's one game and there's a ton to work on, but there was a lot to be positive about, too. Onto Flint on Sunday...

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022

- As expected, a ton of regulars out of Windsor's lineup. It gave the youngsters a good chance to get their feet wet.
- Froggett got the start and you could tell the nerves were there initially. He allowed a couple of early goals - one on a shot from about 40 feet and one off a draw. It's tough to say if they were screened but I'm sure he'd want them back, regardless. He settled down after that, making some impressive saves. The third goal was a shot off the end boards that bounced off his pad/skate and behind him. It's not a great one to allow but the D-man covering didn't get the Flint forward, either. That said, 34 saves on 37 shots and a second star isn't a bad way to end your first preseason game. He kept them in it and showed he's athletic enough to do what needs to be done.
- Jack Nesbitt is showing that he's not flashy but he gets the job done more times than not. He's a big kid who likes to get into the slot and use his size to his advantage. I believe he had one goal.
- Struthers is going to be a valuable asset if they use him correctly. He was all over the ice, creating offence where he could and creating havoc the rest of the time. He's pest-y, which I like.
- Ethan Martin is showing more confidence and comfort. While it takes him a bit to get up to speed, once he's there, he's set, showing some offence and some snarl. He was engaged multiple times and seemed to have no issues helping where necessary. That said... three or four minors? That's pushing it.
- Winegard and Woodall showed well on D. Woodall with the opening goal and played simple hockey. Winegard used his size on occasion. He's not overly quick, even for his size, but he seems to be decent enough with the intelligence and positioning to make up for that.
- Hjelholt and Manzo didn't look out of place. Hjeholt threw a few hits and Manzo played a very simple game, but they looked comfortable as the game went on.
- I believe the Spitfires were 6/6 on the PK. I know there are things to clean up but it's a nice start. So is 1/3 on the PP.
- It's one game and there's a ton to work on, but there was a lot to be positive about, too. Onto Flint on Sunday...
First on Froggett was a tip over the should that no goalie should stop. Second from my angle was a screen that went right under or through Smith so not faulting him there either. Third was off the end boards right back out to a waiting Firebird with an empty cage. Perhaps he was caught too far out trying to take the shooters space away. After that, I thought he was outstanding. Made four saves that no goalie should stop. It’s one game but if that performance is repeatable and what we can expect most nights, he should be in this league. Agree with the rest except Martin always leaves me wanting more.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Just to piggyback on your comments re the game,team and results.
Nice start to the exhibition season when considering Spits had Costanzo, Deangelis, Dionicio, Christoforo, Peer,Christopoulos, Maillet, Davis not dressed, Flint the 2 Pitres,Ethan Hay,Nolan Damn,Tristan Bertucci and Nolan Jenken.in other words Windsor had their #1 goalie,top 3 D and 3 top forwards while Flint started their #1 goalie,and was missing 1 D and 2 top forwards.
Windsor was missing a total of 119 goals for from last year and 185 assists,Flint was without 74 goals and 109 assists.
As for the game a slow start score as Fint open the scoring by getting 2 past rookie starter Carter Froggett for Windsor, however he recovered by allowing only 1 goal the last 53 minutes of the game including facing 6 PP chances including 1 two man advantage, faced 39 shots on the night stopped 36,nice 1st start for the rookie 925 save percentage despite allowing 3 goals while Day for Flint allowed all 5 goals Windsor scored,Windsor went 1 for 3 on the PP, 6 for 6 on the PK,nice 133% combined for the special teams.
Defensively the team played especially the group of 6 on D,especially with 4 playing in their 1st OHL game.
Offensively team get 2 points each from Greentree, both assists,and 1G,1A each from Castle, and rookies Nesbitt and Kyler Morgan.
Excellent game from Castle, Nesbitt and Morgan, as well as forward Ryan Struthers who was outstanding both ways and involved in the play.
Tanner Winegard and Carson Woodall were solid on th D as well as other rookies Manzo,O!Dell and Hjelholt.
Thought Jodoin despite a great cwaysamp was the weakest overall of the D .
Froggett outstanding in fact named the 2nd star with Aiden Castle getting the1st one.
Always nice to see 11 players notch at least a point in a win instead of relying on just 1 line.
Too bad Colton Smith got hurt with a knee on knee collision had an ice bag and was limping post game.
Things to work on for sure, good win start preseason will be interesting to see how teams play today in Flint (4.00)
Add Smith to list of players not playing today,can see Grenerio in for him,and dman Lavigne in for Manzo or O'Dell if O'Dell is bothered from the shot he blocked with his ankle.
Michelone expected to start against his former team today with Costanzo backing up,as Froggett returns to home to London,as Spits are off schedule wise till Sept 20th.
Froggett will be back with his London B team on Wednesday as they play in LA Salle vs the Vipers and I am expecting he gets the start

Change in plans re starting goalie
Costanzo starts,Michelone is the backup

Last edited:
Reactions: oldPeng

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Good outing for pretty much practice games..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
First on Froggett was a tip over the should that no goalie should stop. Second from my angle was a screen that went right under or through Smith so not faulting him there either. Third was off the end boards right back out to a waiting Firebird with an empty cage. Perhaps he was caught too far out trying to take the shooters space away. After that, I thought he was outstanding. Made four saves that no goalie should stop. It’s one game but if that performance is repeatable and what we can expect most nights, he should be in this league. Agree with the rest except Martin always leaves me wanting more.

Thanks for the details on the first two goals. From my angle, it was tough to see if anyone was screening or if the puck deflected. I like his confidence and drive/focus to make the stop. He's calm and very athletic for a kid his size (6'3 205). I know he's going to Jr B for now but I can see him forcing the Spitfires to call him up soon.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for the details on the first two goals. From my angle, it was tough to see if anyone was screening or if the puck deflected. I like his confidence and drive/focus to make the stop. He's calm and very athletic for a kid his size (6'3 205). I know he's going to Jr B for now but I can see him forcing the Spitfires to call him up soon.
Spoke to Carter last night after the game confirms what is written 1st goal against was deflected,2nd one he didn't see.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Lineup changes
In- Peer,Maillet,upfront,Lavigne, Deangelis on D and as mentioned Costanzo starts,Froggett sits out
Also Smith,Morneau,Jodin and Manzo are out
For Flint Coulson Pitre,Nolan Dann,Ethan Hay are in,upfront, Gavin Hayes,Zach Giroux,are out,on D Blake Smith is out and Tristan Bertucci is in.
Rookie goalie Jacob Brown starts for Flint

Should mention also not dressed for Windsor are Christoforo, Eichler,Davis,Christopoulis, Greniero ,and Dionicio.
Flint-Kaden Pitre and dman Mathew Jenken
also not in uniform

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Struthers may not be flashy but a young team can benefit from having a mature guy in the room. A guy who will stick up for rookies and just be willing to help them settle in. Im sure if a more talented body that is a good room guy shows up he can be replaced. Lots of stuff goes on during a season that a solid older guy can make much easier!

Reactions: hockeylegend11

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Speaking of Pitre, does anyone know what happened with the picks. It reads we traded him for a 2023 6th & 15th conditional, but I noticed Flint traded their 6th to Missy. Surely conditions were met did that pick get moved to a different year?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Was anyone at the game or seen video? Im told Michelone didnt look good but not from a source im comfortable with. Anyone have some solid input?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Could Maillet be on the move?

If I was a guessin' man, I'd say he's the odd man out. Peer won't likely be moved. Christopoulos had 49 goals last season. Jodoin brings a tough element they may need. I like Maillet but...

That said, Christopoulos is out until mid-October recovering from surgery. He's on the ice but wasn't dealing with pucks during camp.

Unrelated note - Gaymes, Evans, and Protopapas have all signed with LaSalle.

Reactions: LDN

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If I was a guessin' man, I'd say he's the odd man out. Peer won't likely be moved. Christopoulos had 49 goals last season. Jodoin brings a tough element they may need. I like Maillet but...

That said, Christopoulos is out until mid-October recovering from surgery. He's on the ice but wasn't dealing with pucks during camp.

Jodoin can be replaced too...

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'd keep Maillet if I am making any noise this year even a mid pack placement. I like Joduin but the 3 OA forwards bring more to the team by a mile. Jodoin played more games at wing than D. If he was a standout D I'd say something different. Possibility exists Maillet was promised to one of the teams we traded with last year to complete a deal. Never know for sure.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

I like Maillet… one of the top OAs this year IMo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad