Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Screenshot_20230908-184100.png

Apologies if this was already talked about in here.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well trying to read between the lines and I think your last line makes the most sense. With 4 OA's maybe the thinking is they might move Jodoin and with that lose their "grit". Struthers at 19 could fill that role and not cost them an OA spot. Also do you want a 17 yr old to be the grit on a team in a tough west conference this?

Who really knows what Bowler is thinking so speculation will always run wild on this thread!

On a side note I hate auto correct!!!!
Struthers is more soft then anything

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Putting ink to paper is a good thing for the Spits in the case of Frogget. I'm thinking they had to offer/entice him with something to get him signed. I think it means we all can relax. He will be on the bench soon.
Is he on an A card (30 total? Please someone correct if wrong on the #) or 50 player protected list?

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Depth is never a bad thing. We've been short over the past few years on many occasions. Even if not superstars the fringe keeps the talented better rested to excel when team is short rather than to beat the horses to death.
Agree with the depth comment,in fact after the 3 signings announced 28 of the 31 players on Windsor's pre season roster have signed contracts.
Only Alec Stewart, Nick Grenerio and free agent winger Kyler Morgan do not have signed contracts although most are aware that both Stewart and Grenerio played in some games last season for Windsor but were not contracted,so Morgan the only player in camp without a contract or hasn't played in this league.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
If Struthers can give us what Jodoin could as you suggest and if the future considerations amount to less than what Jodoin’s return is it’s a good move.
If Struthers can give us what Jodoin could as you suggest and if the future considerations amount to less than what Jodoin’s return is it’s a good move.
I don’t believe Struthers can play both D and F which precludes him from giving us what Jodoin does

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Struthers provides elements such as aggressive play,good speed, hustle,can play both center and the wing,has 2 years experience in the league,and in the short time he has been here deserved a contract irrespective of age.
Most people at the rink who watched him play would concur with what I have expressed here,clearly the head coach and GM also were happy with the way he performed, didn't take his time here as an automatic but clearly the opposite.
Now will he score like a Christopoulis no,but he does provide the intangibles that helps makes a team better.
Imo lowt cost potential good reward especially in areas of team weaknesses.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I don’t believe Struthers can play both D and F which precludes him from giving us what Jodoin does
True but as an OA Jodoin will/ maybe lost in the numbers crunch. Hard to replace a 2 way player so getting some of tangibles replaced is better than nothing. Now as Ohl4life indicated he is soft then maybe a bit of a reach so I guess we wait and see.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Struthers provides elements such as aggressive play,good speed, hustle,can play both center and the wing,has 2 years experience in the league,and in the short time he has been here deserved a contract irrespective of age.
Most people at the rink who watched him play would concur with what I have expressed here,clearly the head coach and GM also were happy with the way he performed, didn't take his time here as an automatic but clearly the opposite.
Now will he score like a Christopoulis no,but he does provide the intangibles that helps makes a team better.
he is not aggressive, he had 11 penalty minutes in 31 games last year. I scouting him in oakville and it was soft skill. he’s a bottom 10 percent of the league type, do t expect much more then that

jodoin will be a waivers guy. North bay is struggling to move ertel for anything of substance, he’s not great but way better then jodoin

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
True but as an OA Jodoin will/ maybe lost in the numbers crunch. Hard to replace a 2 way player so getting some of tangibles replaced is better than nothing. Now as Ohl4life indicated he is soft then maybe a bit of a reach so I guess we wait and see.
I reiterate, and will not be convinced otherwise, the spot is better utilized by giving it to a 17 yo for development.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I reiterate, and will not be convinced otherwise, the spot is better utilized by giving it to a 17 yo for development.
Which 17 year old forward at camp suited your somewhat rigid stance,now if u weren't at camp would be tough to embrace your thought process.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Wasn’t at camp and not really relevant to me. I was overseas. There is no expectation this year for a deep run. Just against the philosophy of utilizing other teams marginal dumps to fill a roster over allowing younger players to develop in that situation.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm ok with posters not agreeing but for me team needs a mix of all ages. 16 through 20. I'm also ok with team development this year but shell shocking 16 and 17 yr olds is not always a recipe for development.

I can see a number of higher end 19 and 20 yr olds being traded off this year. Somebody needs to be able to calm the dressing room down when things are going a little down hill. Is Struthers that guy, I have no idea ? I would prefer Jodoin but he is likely lost to the numbers game. In a go year I would think differently but this year, for me, is a restock the cupboard year.

Let the Likes of DeAngelis, Abraham, Peer, Malliet and Christopolous have a shot at another run on another team and meanwhile gain picks and develop the younger players. Just need somebody to keep them grounded.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm ok with posters not agreeing but for me team needs a mix of all ages. 16 through 20. I'm also ok with team development this year but shell shocking 16 and 17 yr olds is not always a recipe for development.

I can see a number of higher end 19 and 20 yr olds being traded off this year. Somebody needs to be able to calm the dressing room down when things are going a little down hill. Is Struthers that guy, I have no idea ? I would prefer Jodoin but he is likely lost to the numbers game. In a go year I would think differently but this year, for me, is a restock the cupboard year.

Let the Likes of DeAngelis, Abraham, Peer, Malliet and Christopolous have a shot at another run on another team and meanwhile gain picks and develop the younger players. Just need somebody to keep them grounded.
I think you will be surprised of those u listed as being moved including Jodoin,I only see 1 player and it' won't be Abraham or DeAngilis moved and that won't happen till Christopoulis is ready to return.
It will be an OA but probably not Christopoulis or Jodoin.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
That’s a post that makes sense and if acquiring Struthers is in anticipation of a sell off then it makes more sense if he can be a serviceable player.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Jodoin isn't going to put up great numbers but he brings intangibles that you're going to need with a younger roster. A big, versatile guy who can put up a few points, eat minutes, and give the younger guys some protection. He's not a goon by any stretch but might be more valuable to the club than any asset they get in a reasonable trade.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Jodoin isn't going to put up great numbers but he brings intangibles that you're going to need with a younger roster. A big, versatile guy who can put up a few points, eat minutes, and give the younger guys some protection. He's not a goon by any stretch but might be more valuable to the club than any asset they get in a reasonable trade.
Can open n shut the bench door too...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If he provides all these traits why did Sauga let him go?

Reactions: rve24

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
If he provides all these traits why did Sauga let him go?
Same old same old.
We all know why every move, acquisition, org. change is meet with rainbows n butterflies instead of a honest evaluation.
Common denominator never changes.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
they drafted him as a d and he barely plays d because they don’t think he’s good enough back there. that’s not a quality OA. it’s a fine OA in a rebuilding year, but let’s not make him more then what he is

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Just a pet peeve when someone says they have intangibles. Intangible-not capable of being touched, having no tangible existence. If they have no existence how can you say they have intangibles???

Reactions: windsor7

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
ilunless your in the room on a day to day basis, you have no idea who is or is not good in the room. I was with a team, talked to kids off the record, and I still struggled sometimes to see which kids were good and bad without more info from the inside of the room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad