Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lmao. Bet there was certain levels to be met and im thinking none of those were met in the Wright trade.

Yes i want big strong D men, yes id roll the dice after frank conversations with US born players. Yes i would trade some talent for grit. Any other silly questions lol. Next year is a salvageable season with the right moves.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Lmao. Bet there was certain levels to be met and im thinking none of those were met in the Wright trade.

Yes i want big strong D men, yes id roll the dice after frank conversations with US born players. Yes i would trade some talent for grit. Any other silly questions lol. Next year is a salvageable season with the right moves.
Agree with a lot you say. If we can convince even 1 US flyer in the 5th or shortly after to head our way it would be a huge help in our re-build. Starting in the 5th we have 10 picks and IMHO it would be worth it to gamble 1/3 of those picks on US flyers.

Reactions: Teflon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
This league should drop it down to 10 rounds max. When's the last time a player drafted that late gets signed? Especially the 16 yr old rule there is usually never more than 3-4 signed each year from the draft.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Amadeus Lombardi went in round 13

LK has had a few as well.

I'm not in disagreement with reducing rds thou.
I think it would give kids more opportunities to pick a situation that may benefit them as opposed to a 10-14 rd selection, and being locked in to a sitiation at the teams discretion.
Let em pick a team they feel they have a better shot at earning a spot with. Late picks are a long shot at best, give them flexibility. It also may cut out some stupid funny business later in drafts as limiting picks should create value.
Sure being drafted anywhere in the O in any rd can be a feather in a cap but with limited spots I'd prefer 8- 10 rds at most n the rest go FA or Maj Midget draft.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Agreed - not like many kids from those rounds play in the OHL the very next year - even most of the sucess stories played a year in a developmental league post draft.

The U18 draft as a result will be more valuable also.

Only thing that teams might not like is not having those late picks to rake a flyer on Americans. But even this I feel could be resolved with a US draft, similar to what the QMJHL and WHL do.

LK has had a few as well.

I'm not in disagreement with reducing rds thou.
I think it would give kids more opportunities to pick a situation that may benefit them as opposed to a 10-14 rd selection, and being locked in to a sitiation at the teams discretion.
Let em pick a team they feel they have a better shot at earning a spot with. Late picks are a long shot at best, give them flexibility. It also may cut out some stupid funny business later in drafts as limiting picks should create value.
Sure being drafted anywhere in the O in any rd can be a feather in a cap but with limited spots I'd prefer 8- 10 rds at most n the rest go FA or Maj Midget draft.

Reactions: OHLTG and rve24

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Yes Morneau was drafted 15 th round. My point is let these kids develop and let them have a chance to pick a team. There could be a kid drafted late round, improves and is stuck in Jr b and never get a shot opposed to having no rights to a team and sign as a free agent like Peer. Peer vs Morneau no contest Peer.

Reactions: rve24

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yes Morneau was drafted 15 th round. My point is let these kids develop and let them have a chance to pick a team. There could be a kid drafted late round, improves and is stuck in Jr b and never get a shot opposed to having no rights to a team and sign as a free agent like Peer. Peer vs Morneau no contest Peer.
To give context Peer in his draft year was only 5'8" 135 ,then covid wiped out a year but he grew 4 inches and 30 lbs heavier so he came here at age 18 bigger and heavier turned down 5 teams including London to come to Windsor's camp,I know this because his agent told me at camp.
It was a great free agent signing no question doubt he would have been drafted at 16,time was his best friend.

Reactions: OHLTG and punch1943

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
To give context Peer in his draft year was only 5'8" 135 ,then covid wiped out a year but he grew 4 inches and 30 lbs heavier so he came here at age 18 bigger and heavier turned down 5 teams including London to come to Windsor's camp,I know this because his agent told me at camp.
It was a great free agent signing no question doubt he would have been drafted at 16,time was his best friend.

So to give context it was better for his career he wasn't drafted at 16? Hey everyone agrees.
Same could be said for Josh Anderson ( minus the covid but undersized n passed over) every team gets these type players occasionally and why with context I think it's better to reduce rds in the draft. Would you support reducing rds?
Let the kids choose. Heck I'd be chilling to go to 6 rds-8rds tops.

As far as the other qualifiers ya tossed in......I just gotta chuckle.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I don't disagree about the lower rounds; get rid of them if that's the option. However, the question was asked so I answered.
As far as the other qualifiers ya tossed in......I just gotta chuckle.

If you mean the London comment... it's a valid piece of info. If Peer's turning down other teams to come to Windsor, that's a good thing and quite relevant to the topic.
I wonder what the very few but loud Spitfire sycophant posters ( there is only 2 or 3) feel about " this isn't an ordinary 8th rd seed" now? Sorry had to ask but foubtvthectune changes......Biggest upset in the O ever and another factor (excuse) has been erased.

I get it. Kitchener lost. Do you REALLY think it's "the very few but loud" fans that are the only ones that said the Rangers "weren't an ordinary 8th seed"? I've heard this so many times and it makes me laugh. Trust me when I say this isn't the only place I've heard it said... and not just by Windsor fans.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I don't disagree about the lower rounds; get rid of them if that's the option. However, the question was asked so I answered.

If you mean the London comment... it's a valid piece of info. If Peer's turning down other teams to come to Windsor, that's a good thing and quite relevant to the topic.

I get it. Kitchener lost. Do you REALLY think it's "the very few but loud" fans that are the only ones that said the Rangers "weren't an ordinary 8th seed"? I've heard this so many times and it makes me laugh. Trust me when I say this isn't the only place I've heard it said... and not just by Windsor fans.
Rangers were a 8th seed based on their record. Nothing more. No "factors".

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

Last post was my bad. I'm sorry. My mistake. Wrong thread.

And ya rd 2 KW looked like an 8th seed, so I guess it's more of a Windsor wasn't a true 1 seed? Two sides to your equation. Just saying and my thoughts on the Spits season are we documented on here. So i was surprised, and more so now really, after Windors non performance and seeingn the Rangers play London, ya Ibthinknits pn the Spits than the extra orfinary 8th seed, feel better excuse.....Ask those people now what happened in rd 2 for context.
It's gotta slide more towards the Spits lack of living up to a 1 seed over the hyperbole of no ordinary 8th seed, no? If not hang onto your reasoning. No worries

As far as the London comment you referenced you are wrong. Totally wrong. But way to defend the org and BK lol. Again that wasn't it lol. Ya coulda just asked instead of assume ;) So it wasn't revelant but.......
No issues with Peer choosing Wind over Lon, on fact support it, and not sure why you think it was revelant. It also works vice versa and with all teams in the O at differing levels. I get it. But it isn't so big a Windsor coup. It happens in KTown, Lon, Barrie......... I like players get a choice. ( and really do you not think agents may be well informed on who is around and asking questions, what the yfish for, how to answer ?s..... )
Agents say what they need, staff say what they need, players also. If ya take em all at their word good on you. ( again I have no idea in this case but good on Peer for finding a spot with advisors n agents help that most benefitted his development. Figured he'd get a better shot there and awesome it worked out.
....) But I support the choice and never would hold it against a player. Love them having a choice.
The comment was about something else in the post. I'd explain but probly would get a timeout. Those with cred don't need to justify a post, those without........

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
One last frustrated rant over this playoff debacle. I can't help but to think how London blew the Rangers out and how the Rangers blew the Spits out makes it obvious how we were not prepared to play. Almost like 1st place and Maggio winning the scoring title was the end all be all. Once those achievements were settled,we took a big dump. Just my opinion but the team either had no chemistry in the room at years end or the coaching did not provide an alternative game plan to combat Kitchener. Sure it is over now but still the bad taste lingers. Not the fact of losing a series but we were never in it. Either way coaching should have picked up on it and got it under control. I know most do not want to discuss it any further but the fans who came out were let down bottom line. Hope we get a gem late in the 1st round and build this team without a major rebuild. BOWLER can do it!!

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
One last frustrated rant over this playoff debacle. I can't help but to think how London blew the Rangers out and how the Rangers blew the Spits out makes it obvious how we were not prepared to play. Almost like 1st place and Maggio winning the scoring title was the end all be all. Once those achievements were settled,we took a big dump. Just my opinion but the team either had no chemistry in the room at years end or the coaching did not provide an alternative game plan to combat Kitchener. Sure it is over now but still the bad taste lingers. Not the fact of losing a series but we were never in it. Either way coaching should have picked up on it and got it under control. I know most do not want to discuss it any further but the fans who came out were let down bottom line. Hope we get a gem late in the 1st round and build this team without a major rebuild. BOWLER can do it!!

Well said.

From the outside the team has started turning that corner and it's gotta be grest to get that excitement back. Part of thatcis the shi#$^#! Losses in POs.
They are on the right track.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Defense bad all year.
Out coached in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad