Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Hopefully Costanzo gets invited to an NHL training camp if he isn't selected, which he should in my view,show well on an invite and get signed to a contract like Anson Thornton for Barrie a couple years ago,and Lalonde for Erie did this past year for Columbus.
There are 4-6-0 ft goalies and a pile of 6-1 goalies on the top 35 prospects. Many with way worse numbers. JC numbers on a offense oriented team were very good. Go figure.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Kid Is extremely talented. One of the best shots in the draft. Think Ethan Miedema with better skating, and a better shot. Lack off off the puck effort is the big issue though.

Like OHLTG said though, BPA. The team is going to need everything moving forward.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Forwards are pretty set imho, other thzn needing grit. Rookies typically dont supply that. Imho team needs a big strong D man. Most importantly the player needs to be a gamer!!! Skill alone shouldnt be the biggest check mark. Thats where the eye test comes into play. Need to see these kids in person and get a feel for them. Talent alone doesnt work as was proven this year!

Reactions: windsor7

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Caden Taylor had 121 points in 60 games in the GTHL, 10 points in 4 games in the OHL Cup. The scouting report says he's got the best shot in the draft. Seems to me the chances of him being available at #20 are slim?

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If you’re looking for a defender.

You’re looking at a kids like
Carson Cameron - I doubt he’s available when Windsor selects. Strong skating, poised two-way kid.

Nolan Jackson - A kid I was targeting when doing the mock draft, but once Taylor ”fell” to Windsor’s Pick, I had to take him. Raw defensive abilites - but he has the size, and skating you want from a real good defender at this level, defence is coming along but he has the tools to be a really good one.

Lukas Moore - Very good defender. Big body who battles relentlessly, has a good stick, can be physical but has very little offence.

Luke Draguscia - Physical kid that lacks offence. Good defensive game and a kid that other teams are going to hate playing against.

Kieran Reily - Love this kid. Very good defensive kid, good size, excellent mobility with a very good stick. Didn’t play many games this season due to injury but he is such a raw and fascinating prospect.

James Barr - Cam be a difficult kid to play against, good two-way game - can be physical and can provide some offence.

Adrian Manzo - Kid that defends well against pressure, and who moves well. Not the most physical guy, or a kid who will provide the most offence but a kid that I think can log
alot of important minutes one day in the OHL.

Thannasi Marentette - local kid who’s calling is his physicality, intimidating kid to play against. Can be a good defender but has terrible decision making, little offence with a heavy shot.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Carson Cameron - I doubt he’s available when Windsor selects. Strong skating, poised two-way kid.

Nolan Jackson - A kid I was targeting when doing the mock draft, but once Taylor ”fell” to Windsor’s Pick, I had to take him. Raw defensive abilites - but he has the size, and skating you want from a real good defender at this level, defence is coming along but he has the tools to be a really good one.

Lukas Moore - Very good defender. Big body who battles relentlessly, has a good stick, can be physical but has very little offence.

Luke Draguscia - Physical kid that lacks offence. Good defensive game and a kid that other teams are going to hate playing against.

Kieran Reily - Love this kid. Very good defensive kid, good size, excellent mobility with a very good stick. Didn’t play many games this season due to injury but he is such a raw and fascinating prospect.

James Barr - Cam be a difficult kid to play against, good two-way game - can be physical and can provide some offence.

Adrian Manzo - Kid that defends well against pressure, and who moves well. Not the most physical guy, or a kid who will provide the most offence but a kid that I think can log

Thannasi Marentette - local kid who’s calling is his physicality, intimidating kid to play against. Can be a good defender but has terrible decision making, little offence with a heavy shot.
Good info

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A buddy of mine was talking to me a few weeks back about Marentette. Big kid who compares himself to Scott Stevens, IIRC. I don't know that he's a first rounder but maybe Bowler can find a way.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
A buddy of mine was talking to me a few weeks back about Marentette. Big kid who compares himself to Scott Stevens, IIRC. I don't know that he's a first rounder but maybe Bowler can find a way.
I like the kid - but he isn’t a first rounder.

I’d be somewhat outraged if Windsor selected him there.

More of a rounds 3+ kid. But we obviously don’t have a selection until round 5? 6? So we’d probably have to move up to select him.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

More of a rounds 3+ kid. But we obviously don’t have a selection until round 5? 6? So we’d probably have to move up to select him.

This is something I've been trying to figure out...

The OHL limits the pick trading to four years. So, right now pick deals are valid up to, and including, 2026. When does that change to 2027? Is it DURING this coming draft or AFTER it?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
This is something I've been trying to figure out...

The OHL limits the pick trading to four years. So, right now pick deals are valid up to, and including, 2026. When does that change to 2027? Is it DURING this coming draft or AFTER it?
After this draft

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

I'm more than a little envious that you live in Europe! But leaving that aside, I have to ask... How in the hell do you know so much about OHL prospects from across the pond? Lol! Can't just be that thing called the internet. Regardless, I appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: KyGuy9

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'm more than a little envious that you live in Europe! But leaving that aside, I have to ask... How in the hell do you know so much about OHL prospects from across the pond? Lol! Can't just be that thing called the internet. Regardless, I appreciate your thoughts.
Pretty simple really, I grew up in Ontario and it’s a region I have a soft spot for. (But I follow
Most every league imaginable to some extent)

I found it so difficult in previous years to find accurate and accessible info on a lot of these kids and want to try and fill that hole to the best of my abilities.

I watch a lot of VOD, take a lot of notes, and have connections within the industry and OHL. It’s the hobby I am most invested in, and something I love to do.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Kid Is extremely talented. One of the best shots in the draft. Think Ethan Miedema with better skating, and a better shot. Lack off off the puck effort is the big issue though.

Like OHLTG said though, BPA. The team is going to need everything moving forward.
Except goaltending with Costanzo(18),Froggett (17), and Altiman (18) regarding the last sentence.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Thanks for the list,here is hoping one of those on your list falls to the 6th round as Windsor 2 picks in that round ,theirs and Flint's which is about mid round.
Should be noted Windsor did have 1 player dman Carson Woodall selected in the 10th round play a couple of games during the regular season and playoffs the only 10th rounder to play in the O this past season.
There were 2 players that played in league that were drafted in the 11th round F Liam Storch suited up for Saginaw and dman Lukas Fischer son of former Wing Jiri Fischer played for Sarnia and was impressive.
Boy wish we had drafted him earlier great pick by Sarnia,though it appeared he was headed to USHL and started the year there.

Reactions: Section 103

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Thanks for the list,here is hoping one of those on your list falls to the 6th round as Windsor 2 picks in that round ,theirs and Flint's which is about mid round.
Should be noted Windsor did have 1 player dman Carson Woodall selected in the 10th round play a couple of games during the regular season and playoffs the only 10th rounder to play in the O this past season.
There were 2 players that played in league that were drafted in the 11th round F Liam Storch suited up for Saginaw and dman Lukas Fischer son of former Wing Jiri Fischer played for Sarnia and was impressive.
Boy wish we had drafted him earlier great pick by Sarnia,though it appeared he was headed to USHL and started the year there.
There is an interesting American defender of a former NHLer in a similar situation of Fischer last year in Cameron Aucoin, son of Adrian Aucoin, who signed a tender in the USHL with Muskegon.

Could be a swing Windsor could take, the kid is a top 2/3 round talent - but with his USHL tender could go later.

Blake Arrowsmith
Easton Pace
Cooper Dennis
Evan Jardine
Cruz Martin
Nicolas Kosiba
Aiden Janz
Marco Boccardi

Are other American kids that Windsor could try and pry from the USHL since they don’t have any early selections. All these kids are worthwhile swings, and since they’re American they may go later than their talents indicate they should.

Then there are the NTDP kids that are hard sells. But are among the most talented kids available.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Are we in a time warp where Scott Stevens would be capable of playing hockey in 2023????

Reactions: windsor7

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
stevens took a lot of penalties back in the day.
it be a lot worse now.
wouldnt be playing much at all.
going where...
Stevens, Pronger, …even Xhekaj would become all-stars if playing in the OHL in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad