Tennis: Wimbledon 2022

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I part of me would love to see Kyrgios beat Djokovic on Sunday and then use his winner's speech to launch into a huge tirade on Nole's vaccine stance, the dress code at the All-England Club, Wimby banning players from Russia and Belarus (but not Rybakina who only switched allegiances due to money), and the general hypocrisy of people like Boris Johnson, etc., ending with something to the effect of "I'm not a saint either, but at least I don't claim to be".

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Norrie has great staying power, can grind with the best of them, absorbs pace well and places the ball in awkward spots but Nole will just break all that down clinically. The crowd. Is probably Cam's biggest asset, but Djokovic will handle that, too. Just can't imagine Norrie winning.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I actually kind of like Kyrgios but I can't figure out why :laugh:

I thought he'd wasted his talent and his time had passed, hard to believe he's one win away from a slam.

Reactions: Foppberg

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oh, the cruel irony. My internet is down, so I am forced to listen to the match on Radio Wimbledon.

• Wow
Reactions: Beau Knows
Sep 19, 2008
Must be too early for the Joker...

Some exceptionally poor tennis by Djokovic to start the match, I've seen this movie before though.
ye. he falls behind 2 sets playing bad tennis and then turns on the switch. but this time there is a crowd behind the "hometown boy"

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just checked the score and did I see it right that Norrie won the 1st set 6-2? Djokovic will probably easily win the next 3 sets but who knows I guess.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Novak vs Kygrios... Hook that shit straight to my veins.

Djokovic is 0-2 against him too, never taken a set off him.. I doubt that lasts, but it's going to be a great match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't think it would be a good idea to just concede the opening set to Nick. Let that train get rolling and Nole might not be able to stop it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Big servers are always a problem for Novak at Wimbledon (besides Anderson in the finals)… see: Sam Querry.

Let’s see what happens but I have Kyrgios in 4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Big servers are always a problem for Novak at Wimbledon (besides Anderson in the finals)… see: Sam Querry.

Let’s see what happens but I have Kyrgios in 4.
A surprising number of people agree with you, some citing Nick's 2-0 record against Nole but that dates from 2017.. Ancient history.

I think it boils down to which Nole shows up and is ready to play from the first point. I expect it to be the focused one, the one with all that precision, all that tactical flair and all that experience winning Grand Slams, especially at Wimbledon..

As for Nick, he might handle all the pressure well, but he's by far the more likely player to lose his cool in a best of five set match at his first GS final.

Djokovic in four sets.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Be great to see Jabeur win today as she seems like such a nice person. It would be kind of funny if Rybakina won, though, her being about 9/10s Russian.and all.

Jabeur in three sets.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
My cable came back and it looks like the match was recorded but I can't access it. Sunday will be really interesting because Kyrgios not only has the bad boy image in the tennis world but the rest of the world is going to tune in - obviously not all of it but it's more pressure. Add into that, his recent charges. I feel like this match is in his favour but his worst enemy is himself. Will he be able to handle being in the spotlight on the world's most important court in the world's biggest tourney with all of the other stuff hanging over his head?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
6-3, an easy first set for Jabeur. Basically one player has great variety and a ultra high tennis IQ and the other player has a impressive power game but is afraid to play in the forecourt and now her nerves are rattled, too. It will be hard for Rybakina to get back on track against somebody as smart as Ons. (Then Elena immediately breaks at the start of the second set, ha, ha).

2nd set: 6-2, Rybakina. Did not see this coming at all. Elena gained confidence, even hit a couple of forecourt winners, while Ons became increasingly frustrated by her missed opportunities.

3rd set: Another miss from Jabeur and Elena breaks in the first game again..... 3-2, Elena up a break. A real nailbiter. Will Elena hold her nerve? Will Ons stop being her own worst enemy? Who is Tom Cruise rooting for?...Rybakina comes back from a nervous love-40, 4-2. Wish both these women could win.

5-2 Elena with two breaks but she is an awful closer. She closes it out, though, showing about as much emotion after the final point as if she had just won a first round match in Des Moines, ha, ha.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I wasn't expecting Jabeaur to be the one hampered more by emotions. Rybakina is a very worthy champion, though. I, for one, didn't think she had it in her to come back like that. Bit of bitter karma for the Wimbledon brass. Imagine if Nick wins now--that would be enough to make them sollectively spill their Pimms.

• Haha
Reactions: Foppberg

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Wanted Simo to win again, but these two girls were deserving.

Tomorrow should be good, I haven't pulled for Djoker for a long, long time haha but go Nole!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad