Tennis: Wimbledon 2022

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Oh well, congrats Djokovic. At least it makes the majors race more interesting.

Nadal 22
Djokovic 21
Federer 20

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's like sets 3, 4 and 5 in Grand Slams have become Djokovic's comfort zone. That's really extraordinary, not to mention almost impossible to beat.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's true.
Self-serving sanctimonious twaddle.

Am I a big fan of his? No. Do I find him repulsive? No. He shoots himself in the foot a lot, but that's about it. Does his stance on vaccines tarnish his legacy? Though I disagree with his position, he has a right to his opinion if you believe in freedom of speech and thought. I don't think his stance on vaccines will matter an iota when his career is over and people start evaluating it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Self-serving sanctimonious twaddle.

Am I a big fan of his? No. Do I find him repulsive? No. He shoots himself in the foot a lot, but that's about it. Does his stance on vaccines tarnish his legacy? Though I disagree with his position, he has a right to his opinion if you believe in freedom of speech and thought. I don't think his stance on vaccines will matter an iota when his career is over and people start evaluating it.
Everytime I start to like Djokovic he says or does something so dumb that it reminds me of why I don't. From a strictly tennis POV you can't not respect what he's done and continues to do. The King of mental strength.

Not the person I would go to for medical advice, but he's spectacular at what he does.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah as much as I disagree with his stance on vaccines and a few other things the only way it 'tarnishes' his legacy is if it somehow keeps him from setting the all-time record for slams. Even if he never goes back to Australia he'll probably win enough Wimbledons to get over the top eventually though, especially since Nadal's health is always a ticking time bomb.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Nadal and Djoker are goats. Simple as. They’re goats because they’ve done goat things amongst the goats. It’s truly amazing. There will probably never ever be another generation like this.

Congrats to him. And this is from someone that is not a Nole fan like at all. But you have to recognize greatness. Hope Nadal ends up with the most but truth is their status is already set in stone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can see why as a fan of him you don't view it that way. You want him to play more events and that's difficult for him now, but he's a civil rights hero for being willing to stand up for what he believes and showing that he's not going to back down to governments that think they should be allowed to tell him what drugs belong in his body. If it costs him professionally, he's willing to accept it because the principles he believes in are more important to him. For someone that famous in society to take such a stand on such an important issue makes him a civil rights hero.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I can see why as a fan of him you don't view it that way. You want him to play more events and that's difficult for him now, but he's a civil rights hero for being willing to stand up for what he believes and showing that he's not going to back down to governments that think they should be allowed to tell him what drugs belong in his body. If it costs him professionally, he's willing to accept it because the principles he believes in are more important to him. For someone that famous in society to take such a stand on such an important issue makes him a civil rights hero.

As a physician, I completely disagree with his stance. Now, does he as an individual pose a threat to the US or Canada entering unvaccinated when the spread of COVID-19 is essentially out of control (thankfully minimal hospitalizations now) and accepted by their respective governments? No. Those countries just don't want to make an exception because they want the law to be applied equally. Whether that's fair or not, it's not up to us to decide.

Besides, you clearly don't know him that well if you think he was taking a stance against the government. Novak's views on vaccine, diet and everything to do with "well-being" is about being "natural" - aka the typical hipster out of Vancouver Island. His stance has been that way for many, many years. COVID-19 vaccines wasn't what prompted all of this.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

The image of him flashing his unblemished shoulder during the trophy ceremony should replace this as the iconic civil rights statement by an athlete:

1657530859904.png

Reactions: Primary Assist

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
From the rational to the ludicrous. Man, the bullsh*t is flying fast around here.today.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Congrats Nole, 7th Wimbledon!

Now, if he could only get his shit straight, stop some of his non-sense, and go to win the US Open... But that would be asking too much I guess. :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad