Tennis: Wimbledon 2022

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Doesn’t work that way. Most GS Titles is the GOAT. Objective biggest achievements should trump subjective views, unless there’s some obvious extenuating circumstances. There’s not. Whoever of the three ends with the most should be the GOAT.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. If it ends up with Novak at 23 and Rafa stays at 22, there's no way you can say Djokovic is the GOAT. It'll be a debate that goes on for a long time.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, numbers would speak for themselves and he would be the undisputed best ever. Would he be celebrated as such? Probably not... but he still would be.
Not at the moment, though. Grand Slam titles are the primary currency and he needs two more, I figure, as he gets the benefit of a doubt in a tie.

In the public imagination, though, I think Rafa and Roger will be seen as the true legendary figures for some time.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Big boooos when Kyrgios is mentioned to Rafa. This is going to be a really one sided match as far as fan support goes.

Reactions: TCTC and Tuggy

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This just simply comes down to stamina with Novak and Rafa.

These guys can keep an elite level into hour 4 and beyond while almost everyone else is just toast at that point.

Props to Fritz for playing a very good match and tournament. Both him and Sinner showed me alot in these two matchs even tho they ended in defeat.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It would be the most Nick Kyrgios thing ever to win Wimbledon, and then not come close to that level ever again.

Or just retire and play when he feels like it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not at the moment, though. Grand Slam titles are the primary currency and he needs two more, I figure, as he gets the benefit of a doubt in a tie.

In the public imagination, though, I think Rafa and Roger will be seen as the true legendary figures for some time.
I think that's based on off the court stuff as well and how much they're beloved. If we're talking strictly on court, Djokovic has a strong argument to be the best of the 3. Hell, he was pushing Federer to the brink in U.S. Opens when Federer was at his absolute peak and Djokovic was 20-21 and barely scratching the surface of what he would become, a Djokovic that was poorly conditioned at the time.

The thing is, he's not nearly done yet either as opposed to Nadal whose career is running on fumes and Federer who is done winning slams so he might have another 5-8 slam titles left in him which could well make him the undisputed best ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The whole idea that Nadal or Federer should be considered better because of perception is stupid. Look at the resumes at the end of their careers. That’s what matters. It doesn’t matter who had more fans, a more likable style, or who any person believes is more noble. All that stuff shouldn’t matter for the debate of who was the best.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I enjoy watching old man Nadal play tennis. It defies reason that he can still win with how he looks moving around, and yet he does.

The tennis "GOAT" debate is tedious when people fixate on grand slam results alone. It's a solid enough way to compare players in the 21st century, where they all focus on that, but it fails as the be all end all for comparisons across history. Greats used to skip the Australian Open regularly and for quite a while the world's best players weren't allowed to play in the grand slams because of the stupid ban on professional players. No one ever considered Roy Emerson the "GOAT" when he held the record for most grand slams for over three decades, but that changed when the media started talking up Sampras taking the record in 2000.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Was anybody surprised at how Rafa was able to just wallop Fritz in the tiebreaker? I thought Fritz was toast at 4-3 but he worked his way back. I don’t know what happened but going down 5-0 was strange

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I doubt this debate ends any time soon. I am currently in the Nadal camp, but that could change if Nole catches up to Rafa. That being said, in terms of greatness, I think all three have an excellent case. To me "best" is quantifiable, but "greatness" is more subjective and allows for considerations other than the coldly statistical. I mean what does one make of Rafa's fighting spirit, his relentless willingness to never quit, no matter the limits of what mere mortals might do. Or the impact that Roger had on the sport and his many accomplishments that have made him the people's choice because of their gratitude for what he has given them and the impact he has had on the game itself. Yes, these are "intangibles" but greatness can embrace intangibles much more easily than "best" is capable of doing. On that level, to me they are each the greatest ever in their own way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Rafa is such a warrior. I hope he can win this tournament.

Djokovic will probably beat him in straight sets, but still...

Depends on his recovery, but it looks like he got his injury in a real tough area. He might not even get to the final.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Hell, he was pushing Federer to the brink in U.S. Opens when Federer was at his absolute peak and Djokovic was 20-21 and barely scratching the surface of what he would become, a Djokovic that was poorly conditioned at the time.

I don't know that that's a super compelling argument. Federer did that same thing in the other direction, pushing Djokovic to the brink at Wimbledon at 37.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad