Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Toby Enstrom at 5 million, 4 million, 3 million, or 2 million doesn't offer the same value as Sami Niku.

With his full bonus Niku carries a $916,666.00 AAV.

Enstom even at $1 million doesn't compete with that.

Let's keep in mind the is a Stastny thread. Talk of Enstrom should amount to what the team can save to sign Stastny.

If we didn't have Kulikov & Morrissey perhaps there's be a place for a UFA left shooting defender be it Toby Enstrom, Jack Johnson, Lucas Sbisa or Justin Falk.

There's 9 RFA's to sign, every one of which I'll take over Toby who'll be 34 to start the season.

Sami Niku @ $916,666 is the best thing that could have happened to this team.

If you wanted to really get into it, I'd rather see Chairot gone & his $1.6AAV applied to signing Enstrom for one year at $2 million.
If I thought someone was good I'd be willing to give them $2m. .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So Toby is good but we don't need or want him even at $2m. That's brilliant .
th

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Confident that Stastny would like to stay. But making it work could be tricky. As good a fit as he might be, Chevy does have to take care of the young guys first.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That's all you have for defending Toby LOL
No, just illustrating you keep missing the point. A couple of posters have made some really good attempts to explain the reasoning behind it but you just keep missing those points.

I hope intentionally for your sake.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yes Myers is overpaid as a 3rd pairing dman on this team, but I’m more surprised there isn’t a greater discussion of how scary his decisions with the puck were these playoffs and his poor defensive zone positioning at times. The guy scares me every time he’s on the ice.

So, if a team wants Myers to beef up their NHL roster, forego developing a quality young prospect that a team can mould and grow, and will part with a 1st rd pick (or solid young prospect) I’d be all over that if I’m Chevy.

Trouba will sign as he is a RFA. Buff showed he can help a playoff run more so than derail it. I’d be more comfortable with Poolman in the lineup. Niku can play right side. So can Chiarot. There are some options if injuries hit.

Ideally a 1st rd pick can be turned into a solid prospect like Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Toby seems destined to leave.

His play as a Thrasher was outstanding. His play as a Jet started great, but Father Time seems to have caught up to him now. At a lesser salary and reduced role, he’s still an NHL caliber dman.

Playing through injury may have hindered his play, but no one can question his heart and character. He is a quality person. Very glad he was a Jet, if his stay has come to an end.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I of course have no idea what's going on in Stastny's head.

But just maybe... he's thinking he's already made his money. He's already made $61 million in his career. So rather than sign in Montreal, or, some other market that isn't likely to compete for the cup and where he doesn't know the guys in the locker room, maybe he'd prefer to play in Winnipeg thinking it gives him the best shot at a cup?

I think it likely Stastny signs a "home town discount"-type contract. The only question is that in Winnipeg, or St. Louis.
Maybe, but not many players forego their opportunity at their last big contract. As it is Stastny is a little long in the tooth at 32 y/o for that one last career contract, so I find it hard to believe he will let that chance pass by for a home town discount, especially for a team he has only played a couple months with. Most around here are suggesting somewhere around $5 M AAV for 2-3 years. That is a long way from $7 AAV on a long term deal. It is also an opportune year to be a UFA center. He would be an easy #2 behind Tavares. If Tavares makes it to UFA status their will likely be some unsuccessful suitors looking for the #2 center. If Tavares signs with NYI he becomes the undisputed top UFA center.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yes Myers is overpaid as a 3rd pairing dman on this team, but I’m more surprised there isn’t a greater discussion of how scary his decisions with the puck were these playoffs and his poor defensive zone positioning at times. The guy scares me every time he’s on the ice.

So, if a team wants Myers to beef up their NHL roster, forego developing a quality young prospect that a team can mould and grow, and will part with a 1st rd pick (or solid young prospect) I’d be all over that if I’m Chevy.

Trouba will sign as he is a RFA. Buff showed he can help a playoff run more so than derail it. I’d be more comfortable with Poolman in the lineup. Niku can play right side. So can Chiarot. There are some options if injuries hit.

Ideally a 1st rd pick can be turned into a solid prospect like Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist.
this post is kind of weird

on one hand you are terrified of Myers' play (if you see it i am sure other teams do as well) and on the other hand you think he can return a top 10 pick for the Jets to land one of the top d man going in the draft? highly doubtful Myers with 1 year returns a top 10 pick.

if i misinterpreted my apologies

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe, but not many players forego their opportunity at their last big contract. As it is Stastny is a little long in the tooth at 32 y/o for that one last career contract, so I find it hard to believe he will let that chance pass by for a home town discount, especially for a team he has only played a couple months with. Most around here are suggesting somewhere around $5 M AAV for 2-3 years. That is a long way from $7 AAV on a long term deal. It is also an opportune year to be a UFA center. He would be an easy #2 behind Tavares. If Tavares makes it to UFA status their will likely be some unsuccessful suitors looking for the #2 center. If Tavares signs with NYI he becomes the undisputed top UFA center.

I agree. There are a few too many ifs in the Stastny situation that it makes it hard to see how it will work out. He will have to take a discount in both dollars and term before we could even consider keeping him. Maybe he does that but the smart money is on him trying to get something in the 4 to 5 year range.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. There are a few too many ifs in the Stastny situation that it makes it hard to see how it will work out. He will have to take a discount in both dollars and term before we could even consider keeping him. Maybe he does that but the smart money is on him trying to get something in the 4 to 5 year range.
I'd love to have our center depth be Scheif, Stas, Little, Lowry as much as the next guy I just see it as too remote of a possibility unless we dig deep on AAV and term. That then provides a huge long term cap risk.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd love to have our center depth be Scheif, Stas, Little, Lowry as much as the next guy I just see it as too remote of a possibility unless we dig deep on AAV and term. That then provides a huge long term cap risk.

Agreed. I don't want Stastny on a long term deal. Heck i don't want Wheeler on one either.

Reactions: Bigfish and Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. I don't want Stastny on a long term deal. Heck i don't want Wheeler on one either.
Balancing the cap will be Chevy's biggest challenge. All vets want and believe they have earned that big last contract. Balancing this against locking up all young talent will be a tightrope. At most we can have one more long term vet contract on top of Little and Buff and no doubt that will be Wheeler.

Reactions: GNP

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
If Wheeler asks for more than 7m. 5y. contract what do the Jets do. I believe that Stastny will be looking for a minimum 4 year contract.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
this post is kind of weird

on one hand you are terrified of Myers' play (if you see it i am sure other teams do as well) and on the other hand you think he can return a top 10 pick for the Jets to land one of the top d man going in the draft? highly doubtful Myers with 1 year returns a top 10 pick.

if i misinterpreted my apologies
No you interpreted my post correctly. Does seem a bit off doesn’t it?

I guess I’m figuring one GM, and it only takes one, overpays to land Myers. Edmonton and NY Islanders would be the first calls I’d make, where there is pressure to win now.

Maybe it takes Myers+. We throw in a Stanley, Petan or Dano to sweeten the deal and the other team adds a prospect or picks.

We will need a rh d prospect that can eventually take Buff’s spot in top 4.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No you interpreted my post correctly. Does seem a bit off doesn’t it?

I guess I’m figuring one GM, and it only takes one, overpays to land Myers. Edmonton and NY Islanders would be the first calls I’d make, where there is pressure to win now.

Maybe it takes Myers+. We throw in a Stanley, Petan or Dano to sweeten the deal and the other team adds a prospect or picks.

We will need a rh d prospect that can eventually take Buff’s spot in top 4.
I think EDM would be a good fit for Myers. I think we would have to add for the 10th, although their idiot GM enjoys f***ing over the franchise with bad deals ie: Griffin Reinhart for the 16th and 33rd pick in the 2015 draft, not sure if he makes the same idiot move on draft day twice.

NYI i am not sure if he is a fit. Seems like they need more defensive minded dmen rather than offensive catalysts like Myers.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
That's all you have for defending Toby LOL

All the above are sourced from The Athletic. Perhaps subscribe & join the knowledgeable fan community.

To quote Murat Ates from the Athletic "There is no safer moment to check on your kids or make a trip to the fridge than when Enstrom is playing. He simply erases offence."

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Enstrom was very good in his prime and is a very smart hockey player but at 34 and injuries happening more often because his quickness is slowing , is probably done . I will say this though , maybe his good numbers this season has something to do with playing with Buff ..... Naaaaaa , Buff is horrible !! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad