Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I heard on another forum that he is building a new infill home in an established area of Winnipeg. I know the location but won't put it out there. So that might not mean much but it looks positive at least.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I heard he is building a new infill home in an established area. I know the location but won't put it out there.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My co-worker claims to have seen Wheeler and Stastny having lunch on Academy, so hopefully our Captain is doing his best sales pitch since they're buddies.

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
I heard on another forum that he is building a new infill home in an established area of Winnipeg. I know the location but won't put it out there. So that might not mean much but it looks positive at least.

One of my best friends is in the building trades and is working on Stas' house. He told me the exact same thing that you're mentioning. I thought it was a joke at first, but he was dead serious. He also mentioned that Stas' next door neighbour will be none other than our GM.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Problem - Some people feel that at the age of 30 Bryan Little has lost a step and is no longer worth his $5.3 million cap hit.

Solution - Even though their stats are very similar, some people feel that we should sign 32 year old Paul Stastny to replace Bryan Little as 2nd line center.

Conclusion - Some people never learn.:help:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Having Scheif, Stastny, Little, Lowry down the middle will be so awesome, and will ensure we are strong in the playoffs for a while. Little is more of a regular season workhorse, and Stasny is a beauty when it comes to playoffs and playoff pushes.

It also means the Jets are entering "win now" mode, not "win next year or two"

I really hope we find a way to sign him. It blew me away how well he fit in, you'd think he was a Jet his whole career.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Problem - Some people feel that at the age of 30 Bryan Little has lost a step and is no longer worth his $5.3 million cap hit.

Solution - Even though their stats are very similar, some people feel that we should sign 32 year old Paul Stastny to replace Bryan Little as 2nd line center.

Conclusion - Some people never learn.:help:

Yup, its a what have you done for me lately kind of world.

For the right price I wouldn't mind keeping him, but we will have to move some other good pieces to make it work. If he stays, both Myers and Perrault have to be moved this summer imo.

Edit: Also if these rumors are true and he is already building then there most certainly is a deal in place, if so why hasn't it been announced yet. Or why hasn't and insider picked up on it yet.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
One of my best friends is in the building trades and is working on Stas' house. He told me the exact same thing that you're mentioning. I thought it was a joke at first, but he was dead serious. He also mentioned that Stas' next door neighbour will be none other than our GM.

Sounds like we've got a few "Welcome to the Neighbourhood!" baskets to prepare.

I trust Chevvers to make the deal, if there is a deal, but I'm in the camp who would rather bid Stas a fond farewell than follow him into a cap crunch or asset sale.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Lunch on academy, infill house in established area... could be the new homes at Grosvenor and lanark, where the park used to be

But there are also some teardown rebuilds on wellington that would fit the bill. Those aren’t really ‘infill’ though

Nov 24, 2006
Wait, you're saying that your buddy is building a house for Stastny right now?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lunch on academy, infill house in established area... could be the new homes at Grosvenor and lanark, where the park used to be

But there are also some teardown rebuilds on wellington that would fit the bill. Those aren’t really ‘infill’ though
I would guess those lots have been long sold. Also not sure that's the right side of the tracks for an NHL player of Stastny's financial status.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Best you could probably hope for is Stanley on a 2 year deal at $4.95M AAV - give him $6M in 2018-19 and $3.9M in 2019-20 so he might be an attractive option if the Jets have to shed his cap next year.

The thing is, Stastny's already made his big money contract - it just finished. He's basically coming off a 9-year, $6.78M deal. He's made about $63M in his career so far. Another $9.9M from the Jets doesn't sound so bad. Could he get $5M x 5 on the open market? Sure...but what's another $15M when you've already got $60M and like the situation here and have a legit shot at winning? He'll have to make his own decision, but I think the Jets could manage it if they want to.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

If these rumors are true (and there’s so many going on that I’m inclined to believe them) they definitely have a verbal agreement in place to sign Stastny. I say he’s a Jet next year as well.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Best you could probably hope for is Stanley on a 2 year deal at $4.95M AAV - give him $6M in 2018-19 and $3.9M in 2019-20 so he might be an attractive option if the Jets have to shed his cap next year.

The thing is, Stastny's already made his big money contract - it just finished. He's basically coming off a 9-year, $6.78M deal. He's made about $63M in his career so far. Another $9.9M from the Jets doesn't sound so bad. Could he get $5M x 5 on the open market? Sure...but what's another $15M when you've already got $60M and like the situation here and have a legit shot at winning? He'll have to make his own decision, but I think the Jets could manage it if they want to.

Matt Cane’s contract predictor is predicting Stastny an AAV of 5.4M. Your 4.95M is not lowballing at all and I believe Stastny would gladly take something like that, in case he enjoyed his time here. I have given up higher salaries for more meaningful work several times in my career, where the gap has been FAR greater than a measly 10%.

Reactions: Gm0ney

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Houses can easily be flipped (for a tidy profit at that) so I wouldn't look too much into that.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Matt Cane’s contract predictor is predicting Stastny an AAV of 5.4M. Your 4.95M is not lowballing at all and I believe Stastny would gladly take something like that, in case he enjoyed his time here. I have given up higher salaries for more meaningful work several times in my career, where the gap has been FAR greater than a measly 10%.

Sure, but the issue here is term. 5x2 is vastly different than 5x5.

I mean personally I think if I was a big money hockey player I would try to leave money on the table - Fans will love a player earning $4 mill and hate him if he is earning $7, even at the very same production, because expectations are so much different - but I have no idea if Stastny thinks that way.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Sure, but the issue here is term. 5x2 is vastly different than 5x5.

I mean personally I think if I was a big money hockey player I would try to leave money on the table - Fans will love a player earning $4 mill and hate him if he is earning $7, even at the very same production, because expectations are so much different - but I have no idea if Stastny thinks that way.

You are right. The spreadsheet I was referring to is predicting only a three year contract though.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Houses can easily be flipped (for a tidy profit at that) so I wouldn't look too much into that.

This is almost certainly not the case in this situation. Nobody is doing what Stastny is rumoured to be doing with short term investment in mind.

Small shit box flips and actual development yes, but high end flips sit on the market for a looooong time in Manitoba.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I was thinking along Wellington as well. There is one big *** house going up now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe there is a little wind in the Stastny staying idea after all. If it does turn out to be true, we will be in for a wild ride come the entry draft to UFA window. Lots of player movement and contracts will be happening.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
D9A5144A-0D17-416E-902E-8AEA35242498.jpeg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Have you turned your back on millions?
2x5.4 = 10.8
5x6 = 30
difference of 19.2 million.

Does Matt Cane have any credibility?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe there is a little wind in the Stastny staying idea after all. If it does turn out to be true, we will be in for a wild ride come the entry draft to UFA window. Lots of player movement and contracts will be happening.

Keeping Stastny is always a possibility until he signs somewhere else - but it will have to involve some deep pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad