Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
But we are in contention phase right now, Chevy can't just hope for the best with prospects and see what happens. We need a proven 2C right now.

So risk being able to sign guys like Connor, Niku or even Vesalainen in the future? Yes let’s contend now and make our team worse passed next season and then on...

Reactions: CorgisPer60

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Chevy is not going to try and dump Little. They just signed him and his new contract hasn't even kicked in yet. Not how True North operates. Little is only 30 and is easily a solid #2 center. Try finding 45 centers with better #'s then him even in an off year. $5.3 M is a reasonable salary for this, though I'd prefer 4 years instead of 6 for term length. In all honesty I think it is a bit of a pipe dream to think we can sign Statsny. I think he likes Winnipeg and is willing to sign here, but why would he give the Jets a big time hometown discount that we would need to sign him? IMO to get Statsny signed we will need to match the open market on AAV and term. Some team out there like the Habs desperate for a center likely offers something in the 7 X 7 range. We'd have to be able to swallow that again IMO to sign Statsny.

I of course have no idea what's going on in Stastny's head.

But just maybe... he's thinking he's already made his money. He's already made $61 million in his career. So rather than sign in Montreal, or, some other market that isn't likely to compete for the cup and where he doesn't know the guys in the locker room, maybe he'd prefer to play in Winnipeg thinking it gives him the best shot at a cup?

I think it likely Stastny signs a "home town discount"-type contract. The only question is that in Winnipeg, or St. Louis.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The problem is Dano, Hendricks and Matthias will need to be replaced with other press box guys commanding a similar wage, so there's nothing to gain there. It's not like we can just get rid of them and run with an understaffed roster.
Brandon Lemieux's time has come, to lessen the load somewhat.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
So risk being able to sign guys like Connor, Niku or even Vesalainen in the future? Yes let’s contend now and make our team worse passed next season and then on...

I don't really understand what you mean. Of course young guys can and should push veterans down the roster, but we can't just "book" a slot for a rookie. I don't think it'd be sane to, for example, avoid signing a 2C and just hope that Roslovic would run with it.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Brandon Lemieux's time has come, to lessen the load somewhat.

What do you mean? Hendrick's salary is 700k, Dano's 850k. They are very close to the minimum salary Lemieux would command, so it's not really going to move the needle much from a cap perspective. Then again Matthias had a cap hit of 2.125M which is far higher than I remembered, so there's some small savings to be had there :)

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I don't really understand what you mean. Of course young guys can and should push veterans down the roster, but we can't just "book" a slot for a rookie. I don't think it'd be sane to, for example, avoid signing a 2C and just hope that Roslovic would run with it.

No avoid signing a 2C because he’s 32 and will likely want 6m long term when it will be hard to keep the roster together as is... If Little wasn’t already signed for the exact same reason I wouldn’t even care but he is, that would likely be over 11m on declining 2Cs as they age...

Stastny is great and all but I would prefer to have know we can safely sign Kyle Connor and Blake Wheeler as well as many others.

Reactions: ERYX

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So you're saying your opinion is more valuable than an nhl coach? Or were you just making atotally irrelevant point?

Hah I like that, as if an imaginary poll of gms is relevant.

Point me to one thing stastny was better than little at over the last 3 seasons.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Anyone with basic hockey knowledge knew how bad Enstrom was out there.

I think it's actually speaks volumes of how weak our left side was after Morrissey.

Maurice was forced to play an injured Enstrom who had been sidelined the entire stretch run and was admittedly bad in the Nashville series, having. His game improved substantially against Vegas.

Trouba & Morrissey actually had the worst shot metrics against the Knights.

Enstrom had little to do with our loss. The Jets outplayed Vegas for the majority of the series.

Fleury stood on his head and is the sole reason we're on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's actually speaks volumes of how weak our left side is after Morrissey.

Maurice was forced to play an injured Enstrom who had been sidelined the entire stretch run and was admittedly bad in the Nashville series, having. His game improved substantially against Vegas.

Trouba & Morrissey actually had the worst shot metrics against the Knights.

Enstrom had little to do with our loss. The Jets outplayed Vegas for the majority of the series.

Fleury stood on his head and is the sole reason we're on the outside looking in.
Add a healthy Kulikov and healthy Enstrom and LD doesn't look that thin, with Morrow and Chiarot at #4 and #5 on LD.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Hah I like that, as if an imaginary poll of gms is relevant.

Point me to one thing stastny was better than little at over the last 3 seasons.

...faceoffs, shot attempts, total shots, shots per game, Corsi, Fenwick, giveaways vs. takeaways...

I get it that you're defending Little against someone arguing that he's regressing, but let's not pretend they are not at the very least equals.

Jets could also use a left shooting centre. Without him options include Lowry, & Copp.

With a season to prepare, Stastny will certainly click with our arsenal of right shooting power forwards more so than he already has.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Add a healthy Kulikov and healthy Enstrom and LD doesn't look that thin, with Morrow and Chiarot at #4 and #5 on LD.

Of course Morrissey, Kulikov & Enstrom are a respectable left side if healthy.

But they weren't. 2 of our 3 starters hadn't played in months and were thrust into the playoffs.

It wouldn't shock me if Morrissey was hurt as well. You don't absorb that many blocked shots without paying the price.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
So one for one you'd pick Little over Stastny ? Do you think Stastny will get less money than Little as well since Little is better?

I would think if Chevy signs Stastny he gets Bryan Little money. Three years and match their salaries.

If he signs for less term, he'd be getting a slightly more.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Well why wouldn't he if he's good?

Because he's longer the offensive threat he once was. He remains the best defender on the Jets.

Opposition offence has dried up when Toby is on the ice for 6 seasons now.

More to the point for arguments sake, even if Toby signed a short term team friendly contract as low as $2 million, is that better than adding Niku to the team? I'd say no.

We're now a cap team & every bit of savings helps. Morrissey is hopefully here long term, Kulikov is here for at least two seasons. NHL teams can't afford to pay 3rd pairings the money the Jets have been doing. We only were able to do so as we had half the forward roster on ELC's. Thats no longer the case. 9 roster players are RFA's looking for raises, 10 counting Petan.

Toby is likely gone, not because he's bad, but rather a cheaper option exists in Niku who can learn the NHL game playing 3rd pairing minutes until he's ready for a bigger role.

ps. Playoff gear white jacket Fonz is gone. Nice to be wearing leather again. Where's my bike?

Last edited:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Because he's longer the offensive threat he once was. He remains the best defender on the Jets.

Opposition offence has dried up when Toby is on the ice for 6 seasons now.

More to the point for arguments sake, even if Toby signed a short term team friendly contract as low as $2 million, is that better than adding Niku to the team? I'd say no.

We're now a cap team & every bit of savings helps. Morrissey is hopefully here long term, Kulikov is here for at least two seasons. NHL teams can't afford to pay 3rd pairings the money the Jets have been doing. We only were able to do so as we had half the forward roster on ELC's. Thats no longer the case. 9 roster players are RFA's looking for raises, 10 counting Petan.

Toby is likely gone, not because he's bad, but rather a cheaper option exists in Niku who can learn the NHL game playing 3rd pairing minutes until he's ready for a bigger role.

ps. Playoff gear white jacket Fonz is gone. Nice to be wearing leather again. Where's my bike?
So Toby is good but you wouldn't even give him $2m. That makes zero sense.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So one for one you'd pick Little over Stastny ? Do you think Stastny will get less money than Little as well since Little is better?

No, I think they're very comparable. And one is 2 years younger and already signed. If you can get stastny on a 1 year deal, go for it, but signing two >30 centers for more than 5 mill is a good way to lose a Connor or roslovic when they hit their prime.

Reactions: GNP

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
Maybe I'm bad at math, but I don't think allocating 20m for 4 centers is bad cap management, especially when it means you can roll Scheif, Stats, Little, and Lowry (unlike some others, I think Little's gonna be just fine next year).

As noted elsewhere in this thread, I think it comes down to how bad he wants to win a cup. I'm sure we could find a way to afford something like 5m x 2 or 3 years.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
So Toby is good but you wouldn't even give him $2m. That makes zero sense.

Toby Enstrom at 5 million, 4 million, 3 million, or 2 million doesn't offer the same value as Sami Niku.

With his full bonus Niku carries a $916,666.00 AAV.

Enstom even at $1 million doesn't compete with that.

Let's keep in mind the is a Stastny thread. Talk of Enstrom should amount to what the team can save to sign Stastny.

If we didn't have Kulikov & Morrissey perhaps there's be a place for a UFA left shooting defender be it Toby Enstrom, Jack Johnson, Lucas Sbisa or Justin Falk.

There's 9 RFA's to sign, every one of which I'll take over Toby who'll be 34 to start the season.

Sami Niku @ $916,666 is the best thing that could have happened to this team.

If you wanted to really get into it, I'd rather see Chairot gone & his $1.6AAV applied to signing Enstrom for one year at $2 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Reading comprehension is at an all time low. Let's not be the poster boy for this.

Toby Enstrom at 5 million, 4 million, 3 million, or 2 million doesn't offer the same value as Sami Niku.

With his full bonus Niku carries a $916,666.00 AAV.

Enstom even at $1 million doesn't compete with that.

If we didn't have Kulikov & Morrissey perhaps there's be a place for a UFA defender be it Toby Enstrom, Jack Johnson, Lucas Sbisa or Justin Falk.

There's 9 RFA's to sign, every one of which I'll take over Toby who'll be 34 to start the season.

Sami Niku @ $916,666 is the best thing that could have happened to this team.

If you wanted to really get into it, I'd rather see Chairot gone & his $1.6AAV applied to signing Enstrom for one year at $2 million.

Well said. We are at a point where we now have to optimize the value of our contracts. As our key impact players come off their ELCS We need to pay them appropriately, as such the org can't overpay players playing depth roles.

That would be an inefficient use of cap space. That is why players like Toby and some other vets will have to be moved out despite still being good players. We will need to find players who can play those depth roles at a fraction of the price to be able to keep our young stars.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad