Player Discussion Will Cuylle

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I watched every Hartford game during the covid 2021 shortened season and the growth between the Will Cuylle of that year and the player today is remarkable. He is so much more confident. He handles the puck much better. He is more aggressive on his forecheck and more physical. I think the year in Hartford did him wonders and suggests that the Rangers should not rush their young players. I used to think that Cuylle was a bottom two line player but I think he might be able to play higher up in the lineup, particularly with someone who is creative with the puck. I can make the case that Cuylle was more impressive in Hartford last year than Othmann is so far this year. Cuylle had 45 points in 69 games last year but only 11 on the PP giving him 36 even strength points. Othmann has 26 points in 32 games but 16 points are on the PP. Othmann only has 10 even strength points four of which are goals. Cuylle is a year older and Othmann has looked good although not great in Hartford. So I'm not drawing any conclusions between the two but I agree with the other posters about Cuylle. Don't sell him short.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
apologies if already shared
Cam Neely is a fine level to aim for

"Anaheim Ducks head coach Greg Cronin was asked what he saw on Will Cuylle's 3rd period goal.
"That's a young kid with a bright future they have in New York.
Seeing him in person really makes you think he can develop into that Cam Neely type of player. Maybe better."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Larry is right. We could use a couple of more Will Cuylle's.

I can't wait for Berard, Sýkora and Edström to make the team and fill out most of our bottom-6 together with Cuylle, instead of the revolving door of mediocrity we are exposed to year after year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I watched every Hartford game during the covid 2021 shortened season and the growth between the Will Cuylle of that year and the player today is remarkable. He is so much more confident. He handles the puck much better. He is more aggressive on his forecheck and more physical. I think the year in Hartford did him wonders and suggests that the Rangers should not rush their young players. I used to think that Cuylle was a bottom two line player but I think he might be able to play higher up in the lineup, particularly with someone who is creative with the puck. I can make the case that Cuylle was more impressive in Hartford last year than Othmann is so far this year. Cuylle had 45 points in 69 games last year but only 11 on the PP giving him 36 even strength points. Othmann has 26 points in 32 games but 16 points are on the PP. Othmann only has 10 even strength points four of which are goals. Cuylle is a year older and Othmann has looked good although not great in Hartford. So I'm not drawing any conclusions between the two but I agree with the other posters about Cuylle. Don't sell him short.

Production wise Cuylle's second half of last season in Hartford was much better than the first half. He didn't put up a lot of points though in the playoffs. I also think Hartford is having an issue with centers now---Brodzinski with the Rangers, Nash and Edstrom have been out. That hurts production for wingers. I think Othmann's three games with the Rangers were kind of similar to Cuylle's 4 games with the Rangers last year. A younger player can take that experience into the off season with a better idea of what it takes to be an NHL player. I like both players---both are gritty and have no issue with the physical aspects of the game. Othmann is more of a pure shooter....Cuylle a bit bigger and stronger and he uses it to get net front presence. Part of this is understanding how your particular skill set can be used to best effect. Cuylle already pretty much gets it. Othmann might not be as far along in that respect but he's trending the right way.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Production wise Cuylle's second half of last season in Hartford was much better than the first half. He didn't put up a lot of points though in the playoffs. I also think Hartford is having an issue with centers now---Brodzinski with the Rangers, Nash and Edstrom have been out. That hurts production for wingers. I think Othmann's three games with the Rangers were kind of similar to Cuylle's 4 games with the Rangers last year. A younger player can take that experience into the off season with a better idea of what it takes to be an NHL player. I like both players---both are gritty and have no issue with the physical aspects of the game. Othmann is more of a pure shooter....Cuylle a bit bigger and stronger and he uses it to get net front presence. Part of this is understanding how your particular skill set can be used to best effect. Cuylle already pretty much gets it. Othmann might not be as far along in that respect but he's trending the right way.
All fair points. My post wasn't to knock Othmann, who I like a a a prospect, but to praise how much Cuylle has developed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
All fair points. My post wasn't to knock Othmann, who I like a a a prospect, but to praise how much Cuylle has developed.

The thing is lots of players wind up not getting it or it takes them a long while to figure things out. It's like Kravtsov and Lias.....though Lias has turned into a very good AHL player which he wasn't when he was in Hartford. Vesey is another and I think he's turned into a very good role player but that took him a while to get. I think Cuylle got it pretty quick that he wasn't going to be a top line NHL player or at least not for a while and that he would need to use his size and strength, need to be good on his play away from the puck. He provides ingredients that the team really needs while holding up in other areas and chipping in production. In Hartford last year it was coming together for him but also that shortened season in Hartford probably helps him a lot too. He goes back to the OHL the year after but that time spent in Hartford as a 18/19 year old had to make an impression. This year we have Sykora down there as a 19 year old. Different kind of player but he's another one that when he gets to the NHL it'll be as a role player. But even Othmann I suspect will go through the same and he appears to have the right mindset. His time with two Canadian WJC teams shuffling between the lines.....last year after the move to Peterborough where the expectations for good two way play from everyone I think will be helpful things for him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyway when I think of saying someone's a hockey player it's not necessarily because he puts up a lot of points. Point production is certainly a good thing mind you but a player you can trust, a player who will take a hit to make a play or block a shot, or even sticking up for himself or his teammates, killing penalties.....the more things a player is good at (and he doesn't necessarily have to be great at anything). A lot of it is mindset and determination but also always working to get better to add some skill or even grit to their game.....never being satisfied, always trying to get better at something.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
apologies if already shared
Cam Neely is a fine level to aim for

"Anaheim Ducks head coach Greg Cronin was asked what he saw on Will Cuylle's 3rd period goal.
"That's a young kid with a bright future they have in New York.
Seeing him in person really makes you think he can develop into that Cam Neely type of player. Maybe better."
Cam may have been the protype power foward playing wing of the last 50 years. Glad nobody is setting the bar too high for Will :D

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Cuylle is scoring goals at a 2nd line rate (119/334 for fwds with 400+ 5on5 minutes), is 10th in the league in hits/60 for forwards, and is already one of our best defensive forwards while playing with some absolute shit his first season here. Also 5th in shot generation on the team (Panarin, Brod, Laf, Kreider) and 3rd in high danger chance generation (Kreider, Laf). Think that's pretty sweet.

He's also very measured in his approach to physicality. Never flies out of position for hit or gives up defensive positioning for one, really picks his spots when to engage after the whistle, and generally isn't a hot head that gets us into trouble. That's the kind of physicality I love to see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3