Player Discussion Will Cuylle

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I remember a couple of our esteemed prospect watchers had this opinion on Cuylle when he was drafted: He is a middle 6 forward who, with the right player chemistry, can play in the top 6. If he is paired with the right guys he will produce. That has been on the money. He isn't going to be a primary driver, but he is a guy that will take advantage of opportunities if you put him with the right players.

Jjksport

Jul 22, 2014
I also like that he isn't afraid to and looks to make offense plays with stick handling and quick passes. Bodes well for for more responsibility and scoring totals and allows him to play up the lineup with more skilled players. Very promising looking player.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
plenty of time to digest and critique after the session, i know, but curious where the temperature stands on Cuylles long term outlook at this juncture.

I'm personally excited to see how he responds to the playoff environment, from a physicality standpoint as well as a production standpoint. He seems like he has a bit of a knack fot a big goal and he has the bearing of a 16 game player.. but he's also a rookie and has hit a wall.

i saw someone call him a JAG today. it's not entirely unwarranted and certainly not unexpected. the league is a grind. despite the scratches, kid has to be exhausted.

so how do we feel about Cuylle both in the playoffs and in the future? How have perspectives on him changed?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If he’s not too gassed/injured he should perform well on 3rd line with Wennberg and Kakko.
He skates well enough and is good along the boards. I don’t he’ll have any physicality issues.
My prediction is he’ll be a NYR long-time fixture with a bright future.
I don’t know where he maxes out development wise, a lot of that could come down to if he gets higher minutes/situations/higher opportunities in the years to come…. I think he would be a good option in front of the net on the PP once kreids rides into the sunset, but who knows.
As of not I see a constant 20-20 3rd line wing who plays physical and add timely scoring.
His shot is the X factor. Hes got a very good wrist shot and he always seems to go to the right place on the ic.
There could be a couple years where he score 25 from 3rd line as well imo

Reactions: HolyHagelin

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
plenty of time to digest and critique after the session, i know, but curious where the temperature stands on Cuylles long term outlook at this juncture.

I'm personally excited to see how he responds to the playoff environment, from a physicality standpoint as well as a production standpoint. He seems like he has a bit of a knack fot a big goal and he has the bearing of a 16 game player.. but he's also a rookie and has hit a wall.

i saw someone call him a JAG today. it's not entirely unwarranted and certainly not unexpected. the league is a grind. despite the scratches, kid has to be exhausted.

so how do we feel about Cuylle both in the playoffs and in the future? How have perspectives on him changed?
He did hit a March wall for sure. Those Cam Neely comparisons were always insane in my opinion but I do think he can be legit 20-20 power forward for years.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
20-20 would be great in light of his defensive game (which doesn't suck for a rookie which is a huge compliment) and non-stop hitting. He has definitely hit a wall but PO fever will cure that.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Cuylle, he exceed expectations from me this year. He will be fine. He is the least of my worries although he has to shoot more like rest of the team. He does go towards the net and he should get PP time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He did not have a great playoffs with Hartford last year but being one of the Pack's best forwards there were also higher expectations. In the role he has with the Rangers he's primarily a grinder, forechecker, guy who hits and who pops in a goal or gets into a fight now and again. Basically he has a role and a job that requires him to chip in now and again but the main producers are on the top two lines. That role should fit pretty well into what he's done all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad