GDT: Wild @ Flames, Old Folks Version. 7:00PM on SNET-W and The Fan 960

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Winning a few faceoffs, playing some defense and playing the penalty kill, for 3.5 million. I see it pretty clear. 5 points in 10 games; give me a Stajan moment where it was him clearly that sets the play up for the two Czechs to score.

I'll be waiting.

What he does, is what you pay players like Begin for.

I think you're going a little too far with this. You make it seem like Stajan's contract is absolutely horrible. Its not the best contract but im not too angry about it, Stajan's doing well.. If you're so big on comparing production to salary why aren't you taking shots at Jarome?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Cervenka played a huge chunk of the game at center. Looks like Hartley feels hes ready to make that transition. I would like a line-up like:

Hudler-Cervenka-Iginla
Tanguay-Stajan-Cammalleri
Glencross-Street-Stempniak

Thats not a bad top 9 for an injury riddled team like us. This is of course assuming Cammy is good to go for wednesday. I didn't really like him RW last time but we simply have too many left wings.

I don't know if I like Jarome with the two Czechs. I think they'd stop playing their game and continue to try and feed him. He's been awful this year.
Cammy or Glencross to their line. All the Flames fanboys have such boners about having a defensive presence on their line, so Glencross would probably be a good choice imo.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
LoL, I'm not that close minded my "All is good in Calgary, everything Calgary does is good" friend.
If Stajan was a PPG player I'd be wearing a number 18 jersey. I'd be happy:
Calgary gave away a top tier Dman, that could have returned probably Giroux at the time; for: A waiver sale, a UFA, a trade for the geat Babs and a fringe NHL third liner That was resigned to 1st/2nd line money.
He's a constant reminder of how much of a Mickey Mouse organization Calgary's been the past decade. I think it contributes to the fact why I dislike him LOL.

Yea we got bent over a barrel in the trade but that doesn't have **** to do with how Stajan has been, he is at .5 ppg pace while being at 51% at faceoffs and one of best pker's he isn't even over paid when he plays like this. You don't have to like him but it is so old to hear you complain about him after every game, he is weak on his feet but he made some really nice passes and is able to read the play well.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Problem is he only took 6 faceoffs and only won 2, I would rather try

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Hudler - Cervenka - Cammy (cammy can also play center if needed)
Glencross - Street - Stempniak

If im not mistaken he had a pretty good % in the other games when he took the faceoffs? Maybe it was just an off game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think you're going a little too far with this. You make it seem like Stajan's contract is absolutely horrible. Its not the best contract but im not too angry about it, Stajan's doing well.. If you're so big on comparing production to salary why aren't you taking shots at Jarome?

Read my other posts =o) Contracts should do the talking. I'm just as unfair with Cammy and Jarome this year.

It's a bad contract. It's insane every other fan of every other team in the league knows it's a bad contract, and yet you guys still defend it lol.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If im not mistaken he had a pretty good % in the other games when he took the faceoffs? Maybe it was just an off game.

Including tonight he has taken 30 faceoffs and won 15, his % is good but the fact that Stajan took almost his entire seasons worth of faceoffs in one night tells me Hartley doesn't think he is capable of doing that well.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Read my other posts =o) Contracts should do the talking. I'm just as unfair with Cammy and Jarome this year.

It's a bad contract. It's insane every other fan of every other team in the league knows it's a bad contract, and yet you guys still defend it lol.

Every other fan on every other team "knew" that the Jbo contract was bad and almost all thought that the Widemen contract was bad, I think I will use my own thoughts on this one, go ahead and follow what everyone else "knows".

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

Im not saying that its a good contract, but its not as horrendus and most Stajan haters make it out to be. Id be happy with giving Stajan a contract of 2.5-2.8M with how hes been this season. Compared to his actual salary its not that big of a deal. People make it seem like he's the new Scott Gomez, you're obviously still upset with how he was playing under Brent Sutter, because you have to admit that he has been playing better this year.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Including tonight he has taken 30 faceoffs and won 15, his % is good but the fact that Stajan took almost his entire seasons worth of faceoffs in one night tells me Hartley doesn't think he is capable of doing that well.

Well after Stajan he's pretty much the next guy we want taking faceoffs. If he's playing with Iginla we can also throw Iggy in to do the faceoffs like we did with Tanguay.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Jbo's contract is still pretty bad though. We overpaid.

If he plays like this I have no problem with it, he is in the top 5 for ES and pk time per game in the entire league, and most of it is in defensive situations against the best line in the west and yet he is still almost top 30 in points for defensemen.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well after Stajan he's pretty much the next guy we want taking faceoffs. If he's playing with Iginla we can also throw Iggy in to do the faceoffs like we did with Tanguay.

Personally I would much rather have Tanguay at center over Cervenka he is better defensively and at least as good at faceoffs, it also allows Cervenka to focus on offense.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I blame Sutter.

Anyways. Street looks good out there. I can't wait to see Horak up here as we'll.

And I don't like that first line of Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem to work.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hartley just said Blair Jones has been "by far our best shooter(in shootouts) in practice".. Explains why he got the shot.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Damn people. You would think you had shares in the Flames. It's not your money or concern as to what guys are getting paid. Until these contracts inhibit a player from being moved, their face value is meaningless.

It's like real estate. Who cares what a house is listed for?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Damn people. You would think you had shares in the Flames. It's not your money or concern as to what guys are getting paid. Until these contracts inhibit a player from being moved, their face value is meaningless.

My thoughts exactly.. It was an issue years ago when we had to have Nigel Dawes and Jamie Lundmark in our top 6 because of cap reasons.. But now it's fine, we have space, our team is deeper than its ever been, but hey, let's rag on contracts that are in no way effecting us ATM

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Feels so weird to say that I like Stajan A LOT this year. Especially face offs and calm play with the puck in the attack zone.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Feels so weird to say that I like Stajan A LOT this year. Especially face offs and calm play with the puck in the attack zone.

One thing I can give Butter credit for is making Stajan the defensive player he is today, Butter gave him his defensive game and Hartley is giving him his confidence and oppurtunities back.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

:laugh:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Game was meh. Irving played well. Defense was meh, forwards were meh. Played against another hot goalie. Definitely apparent that our 2nd line is out hurt, but overall we had a good effort.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
That was one of the most boring games I've watched the flames play in a while. Positives from the game, Irving played very good, the czeck connection of hudler and cervenka playing another great game ( they should be placed on a first line with iggy next game), and thought wideman had an amazing game. Still no show for iggy, Thought gio was ok but it's still not The same gio we have been seeing the past couple of seasons. Flames got to comeback and get these next 2 wins at home, if not they might as well kiss the season goodbye

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Missing this one, can someone give me an update on how the flames are looking?

Not sure what others take was on it but I thought they looked terrible. Too many guys were invisible. Hudler looked great and Stajan and Cervenka looked good. Jackman and Begin gave 120%(just not that talented) and Irving was solid. Other than that..wow. Glenncross now thinks he is Gretzky out there. Iginla and Tangs had off nights. Gio looked bad and Jones and Comeau were Jones and Comeau. Interesting, had to watch the game without sound so wasn`t influenced by announcers. I did not realize Stempniak was even in line up til 2nd period.

LukeD

On Fire
Apr 1, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wake up, see the Flames managed to get a point...

success-kid.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad