Proposal: Wild blow up the entire team?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I figure a centre would be needed, you have a lot of good wingers already and both Staal and Koivu are getting up there.

As someone said, 33 years old. Time has indeed flown by.
Yes, but if we're trading away wingers ie Zucker and/or Coyle, that opens up winger space. As I mentioned though, the biggest thing, we need more dynamic skill at the forward position to compliment what Granlund does. We have too many offensive grinder types. They create offense by grinding it out.

We need more that have the ability to open up space with puck skills and passing etc. We are in no position to be picky on how that skill is brought into the forward lineup, thus winger/center, whichever gets the job done, and does so by getting someone on the younger side, not older.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Center would of course be ideal, but if the right winger comes along this summer we're in no position to say "no thanks we'll wait for the center". Our "lot of good wingers" aren't really helping this team (obviously), so replacing them is no skin of my back.

Keep Granlund and Dumba (and of course Suter, Parise and Koivu), but everyone else can be had for the right price.

Yes, but if we're trading away wingers ie Zucker and/or Coyle, that opens up winger space. As I mentioned though, the biggest thing, we need more dynamic skill at the forward position to compliment what Granlund does. We have too many offensive grinder types. They create offense by grinding it out.

We need more that have the ability to open up space with puck skills and passing etc. We are in no position to be picky on how that skill is brought into the forward lineup, thus winger/center, whichever gets the job done, and does so by getting someone on the younger side, not older.

Fair enough, I defer to you guys on this :)

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If the Wild were trading with Vancouver, they would likely be targeting someone like Brock Boeser.

Think of what you think the cost of him would be, and try to come up with a package.

I'm guessing Coyle alone doesn't get that deal done.
And that’s where the conversation ends..

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Josh Bailey for Brodin.

Bailey is coming off of a career year, just entering his prime.

Bailey couldn't crack 20 goals, he racked up points from playing with Lee and Tavares who scored 40 and 37 respectively. He's not the player we're looking for. But I assume you know that, which is why you're trying to sell high.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Bailey couldn't crack 20 goals, he racked up points from playing with Lee and Tavares who scored 40 and 37 respectively. He's not the player we're looking for. But I assume you know that, which is why you're trying to sell high.

You are looking for a puck carrier, that can create offense. He’s a very good playmaker that will generate goals for others with his IQ, passing, and stickwork.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You are looking for a puck carrier, that can create offense. He’s a very good playmaker that will generate goals for others with his IQ, passing, and stickwork.

We have one of those. We're looking for the guy who can finish.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
We have one of those. We're looking for the guy who can finish.

According to posts above, you are seeking a forward who will open up space with puck skills and passing. That is Bailey’s forte.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
According to posts above, you are seeking a forward who will open up space with puck skills and passing. That is Bailey’s forte.

Which posts? The ones where I mentioned we need a Seguin kinda guy? Or the one where I said we need "scoring, all the scoring"? Or maybe it was where we mentioned Monahan and Boeser as potential targets?

Which post made it sound like we weren't looking for a goal scorer?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Which posts? The ones where I mentioned we need a Seguin kinda guy? Or the one where I said we need "scoring, all the scoring"? Or maybe it was where we mentioned Monahan and Boeser as potential targets?

Which post made it sound like we weren't looking for a goal scorer?

TaLon posted twice stating that you need someone who opens up space for others; a good passer/playmaker bc passing is part of the Wilds offensive woes.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I mentioned Brock Boeser in Vancouver as the player type the Wild would be looking to aquire. Young skilled forward with high upside.

Good luck finding guys like that available. You probably should have tried to acquire William Karlsson from Columbus before Vegas did. J marsh or Panarin would gave made sense also. I think Nino for Panarin would have worked better than Saad. These Taylor Hall and Seguin type deals don't happen often.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
TaLon posted twice stating that you need someone who opens up space for others; a good passer/playmaker bc passing is part of the Wilds offensive woes.

Yeah it's more of a both thing, not an either or.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Something around Hoffman and Brodin could make sense for both sides.

Alternatively (or perhaps in addition) Pageau or Smith might make sense for the Wild. Pageau, especially, is a guy who elevates his game and plays with an edge.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah it's more of a both thing, not an either or.
Yes, passing skills are very important, but we would preferably like the player to be a good scorer.

Someone who can make plays for others but also himself. This would ease pressure off of Granlund and thus would open his game up even more potentially.

The player type we're looking for doesn't need to be an elite passer like Granlund, but be an above avg passer, so that when sending and receiving passes, they aren't being bobbled and need to be calmed down every time so something can be done once the puck is there.

Granlund has elite vision and passing skills... not everyone can have that combo, but if the player at least has above avg passing skills, he can send/receive pucks on the tape and give the player or himself a quicker chance to do something with the puck once it's there.

Zucker, Nino, Coyle... they have avg at best passing skills, and thus there is a TON of puck settling to do once the puck is received.

The other thing, the player we need has to have very good puck skills in general. Coyle has "good" puck skills, but that means he will only occasionally flash great moves. We need someone even more like Granlund in this aspect in particular... someone who can stick handle in a phone booth so to speak.

Most of our roster has to grind out every possession along the boards to get the puck to any open space. We need someone who can handle the puck in traffic and via that puck handling, be able to make space and actually do something with said space. Granlund is really the ONLY forward we have that can do that to any real degree consistently game in and game out. It causes the team to have to work extra hard for their scoring chances than their opponent usually does, because they usually have a player or 3 who can stick handle to create space on a consistent basis.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Don't see Nino or Coyle moved as Nino is only 26 to start this next season and colye as ineffective as he is, is still on a sweetheart deal. Brodin will be just 25 next year and D men are at a high value.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Don't see Nino or Coyle moved as Nino is only 26 to start this next season and colye as ineffective as he is, is still on a sweetheart deal. Brodin will be just 25 next year and D men are at a high value.
Sticking with the status quo will get the Wild nowhere fast. You have to give something to get something.

I think trading Zucker/Coyle in a package may bring the best potential return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad