Proposal: Wild blow up the entire team?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Haven't read this entire thread, but no, I don't believe the Wild need a total blowup. Few teams do. Blow up is a typical fan over reaction and not practical or necessary. Winnipeg didn't do a complete blow up to get good, they drafted over years and years and it is coming to fruition, with a few trades by the GM.

Good teams don't need to get rid of many players, they just need to keep what they have and supplement them. The Wild just need a few good players.

In big trades, the team that gets the best player wins, so trading their best for a collection of lesser players (assuming both GM's understand the value when making the trade), makes no sense, unless the Wild just can't fill a roster otherwise.

Trading quantity for quality would make some sense, but then what other GM would do that? It does happen, and if the Wild have some players in the pipeline, it could make some sense from their perspective.

The good old fashioned hockey trade, from areas of depth (D) for more scoring might help, but is hardly a blow up.

Trading a known commodity for a good first round pick has its ups and downs, with no immediate result, plus no guaranteed the player at position X is any better than the one they could pick at Y. And, they would have to replace the player they traded somehow, unless, see above, since one for one trades don't add to the number of good assets a team has. In any case where you give up an asset, you need to get at least an equal number back.

Basically, they can draft a Phenom or score in UFA, or hopefully both, getting great new players without giving up other assets. And hope your GM makes all the right moves, which is what it takes to build a special team.

Just like the 30 other teams (save Vegas which had the expansion draft)
I found it silly people were saying sutter/zach signings being the worst move the wild made. They've made the playoffs all 6 years since and had missed the prior 4 seasons wasting Nick Backstrom in his prime.

But to compare them to how the Jets built up is a sign of the issue sit the signing. They're in that middling team hell spot. Always good enough for the postseason and never on top. But it makes them need all their draft pick choices to be good hits. Since 13 they've always drafted in the latter half and since that era the Jets had several key top 10 picks to build on. The few years before the Wild made the playoffs they had those too. Brodin, Granlund, and Leddy too but they show no signs of getting greatly better sticking with this team as they are.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Or looking at a guy like Monahan, where his team isn't exactly performing how they want, and maybe you give two guys a change of scenery in a deal around Coyle for Monahan. Maybe you even go as far as Monahan+Andersson for Coyle+Brodin or something.
I would move Brodie, Jankowski and Mangiapane for Brodin and Coyle but i am not interested in giving away Monny.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The Wild are firmly in that mushy middle. A good, but not great team. Teams in that position just need to keep rolling over their core as veterans age and pray for a couple unexpected home runs at the draft to push them over the top. They are playoff qualifiers with decent depth and a total blowup is an overreaction. No shame in bowing to the Jets. I love how that team is constructed.

Reactions: 2Pair

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Any way you put it EDM needs puck moving dmen.
A deal to bring Spurgeon in then they can trade Klefbom for a fwd to play with LD.
Nurse, Larsson
Spurgeon, ?
Russel, Sekera
If they can then package their 9th ova for a right shot dman then move the dmen around
Spurgeon, Larsson
Nurse, Ellis
Russel, Sekera
Benning
What fwd prospects in a deal for Spurgeon
9th Puljujarvi
For
Spurgeon, Coyle

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Likewise, he'd be the perfect add to the dcore. Spurgeon+ Coyle/Nino/Zucker for Nylander+ would be one of the few realistic scenarios that it would make sense to move Willy imo.
I mentioned before, Spurgeon and Coyle for Nylander and a second.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trump is negotiating right now with North Korea on the best way to blow up the Wild.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What fwd prospects in a deal for Spurgeon
9th Puljujarvi
For
Spurgeon, Coyle

Man Oilers fans overrate their assets like no other.

Between this and the Dumba+Zucker for 9OA+Bear on the last page. Good god.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Man Oilers fans overrate their assets like no other.

Between this and the Dumba+Zucker for 9OA+Bear on the last page. Good god.
If I'm trading Spurgeon, I'm looking for someone like Nylander.

I offered Spurgeon and Coyle for Nylander and a second, and a Toronto fan or two was intrigued... there may be a basis for a deal there.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If I'm trading Spurgeon, I'm looking for someone like Nylander.

I offered Spurgeon and Coyle for Nylander and a second, and a Toronto fan or two was intrigued... there may be a basis for a deal there.

I don't absolutely hate it, but then we're in the spot of needing another top 4 RHD. Unless we think Belpedio is ready for that spot. Or you play Seeler/Soucy top 4 and Brodin goes back to his offhand.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't absolutely hate it, but then we're in the spot of needing another top 4 RHD. Unless we think Belpedio is ready for that spot. Or you play Seeler/Soucy top 4 and Brodin goes back to his offhand.
Yes, I understand it creates a hole, but just about any move that helps improve a area of weakness will create a hole. I think that hole is easier to address than the current problem the team has right now.

The current problem as is, is a several year problem to overcome most likely. This would address that problem in the most direct manner, and would create a smaller problem to deal with later in other ways ie free agency, lesser trades, internal options etc.

We already played without Spurgeon down the stretch and the team played some of its best hockey, so we know we can handle it internally if it comes to that. My guess is we would also at least explore other options as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad